Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

considering/newbie

Good Morning! I am a 42 year old mother of three and a teacher. I am considering lap band surgery. i weigh about 220 and am 5'4. My BMI is 37+- do you think insurance would cover it? Also, I am interested in learning about pther people's experiences. I have always been heavy. Is it worth it ? Was their pain post surgery? How common are fills? Do they hurt? Cover by insurance? I have tried so many other diets. THe only bummer about this is my husband needs to lose as well- and I keep thinking if I see a dietician or go back to Weight Watchers (again) he would benefit from that as well. He would never do lap band- but will support me as long as it is safe and hopefully covered by insurance. Any bad post-op side effects? Thanks so much for your input!:girl_hug:

Hi there! Welcome to LBT :girl_hug:

I was banded in Oct 2005 @ 234 lbs. My highest was 255, it took me 6 mo to consider the options... in the end my decision was based on it being the most permanent weight loss option I could find at the time.

Approx 2-3 weeks before surgery I did a high protein/low carb diet to help shrink my liver (so it would give the Dr more room to move around in there) which helped me lose 10-15 lbs of Water weight.

Although, I've only lost 60 lbs (I'm not the model bandster) I feel good about where I'm at and have the tool I need to continue my efforts.

On a daily basis I get compliments from people at work, and just the other day one person said they've noticed how well I've been able to keep it off. It's all due to the band. There's no way I would have been able to keep it off on my own.

Can't help you with the insurance question, I was self pay and would do it all again. I would encourage you to go thru the steps, try to see if it would be covered.... many insurance companies do cover it.

This site is a wealth of information, you'll read about the many different side effects you can expect MIGHT happen. I, personally, did not experience any horrible side effects... but your abdomen is very sore the first few days, you might have gas pains, and you'll need lots of rest. If your family is supportive, you can always begin practicing the post surgery routine early... you'll need to give the childcare over to your husband for a couple of days.

Fills... depends on how fast you want to lose. If you check my signature, you'll see I was real conservative... only getting .5 each time I went. I did not always have the luxury of going as often as I would have liked (ran out of vacation time). My fills were free for the 1st year and I have not had one in some time.... but, I am at a comfortable level. However, I know I need to get back in for another fill to kick start my loss again.

So, I would say the best thing you can do for yourself is to be an active participant in this process... stay active here and you'll learn a bunch!

all the best,

Welcome les. This is a great place to come if you're looking for information. There are many long term bandsters here who are very generous with their time and insights and support. As well there are always bandsters who were done around the same time to compare notes with.

So read, ask questions and the best of luck with your decision.

Hi Another me!

Thank you so much for writing to me! Your e-mail was sooooooooo helpful. Especially when you said you would do it all over again! Do the fills hurt? You still need to diet right? How long were tou in the hospital? Was the absominal pain really bad after surgery? How long before you are on your feel again? I am going to start pursuing insurance options tomorrow. I would kill to weigh 170! Congratulations on your success!

Thank you,

Leslie:)

Hi Leslie,

I had 6 fill appointments and never had pain.. they use a tiny butterfly needle to access the port. I was lucky that they hit the port every time, I've heard of ports "flipping" etc but I never had that experience.

Immediately after the fill you're on liquids for 1-2 days (depending on your Dr), then mushies for 1-2 days.

Life with the band is extremely different, you have to concentrate on things you ARE able to eat. (as opposed to all previous diet efforts when you were obsessed with everything you could NOT eat). You'll be more successful if you eat Protein and vegetables. Cut out bread, rice, Pasta, which if you do attempt it will probably be only once and end with agony.

My surgery was out patient... I went in about 6 am and was headed home by 11:30 am. The abdominal pain was more of a soreness... I could not lay down flat, had to sleep in a recliner for about a week.

I actually drove home from my parents house that night, but I don't recommend it. My surgery was on a Monday, I was scheduled to go back to work on Thursday but had to call in sick. I somehow made it in Friday but could not get comfortable sitting at the computer.. I left after only a few hours. I would recommend a week off, minimum, just to be sure you're well rested. Maybe you can do it during summer break?

Thanks for your kind words! Good luck with your journey.

Hello all!:phanvan Still trying to figure this all out- My BMI is not quite a 40- a good weekend out and I am sure i could take care of that. My insurance calls for a 5% weight lose before approval of surgery so that I can demonstrate my seriousness to take of this weight. Once I lose that 5%, my BMI will drop and I may be deemed ineligible. I am hoping that they will look at my BMI upon entering the program. Also, it would mean be having to gain a good 20 lbs. to a solid candidate wit hthe 5% loss and I just don't think that is a heathy thing to do.. Any thoughts?

You are too funny!!!!!!!!!!! What if I get caught????????????? Also, do they weigh you in at your first visit. I am sure every place is different, but my first visit is an educational seminar... Thank you for your adivice- I might just do it!!!!!!!! Did you? I am hopeful that they would take my BMI at the initial visit and not after I lose the 5%!

Les

Go to your doc and fill your pockets with rolls and rolls of quarters. THEN get your pre-op weigh in. LOL

Some folks think I am kidding when I say that, I most certainly am not kidding. Wear a lead vest, carry rolls of quarters, fill your shoes with more coins, put a couple of rolls of quarters in each bra pocket. Then go ahead and lose your 5%. :D

I just had to LOL (literally!!) at this!! reminded me of the Andy Griffith show when Barney Fife needed to gain weight to qualify for Deputy. He could only wear the required uniform attire, so he exchanged his whistle chain with a 30 pound chain link necklace. It worked for Barney!! Dont know why it couldnt work with quarters!! How many times have we emptied pockets before being weighed? Just dont empty your pockets this time...and wear a necklace!! :biggrin1:

Good Morning! I am a 42 year old mother of three and a teacher. I am considering lap band surgery. i weigh about 220 and am 5'4. My BMI is 37+- do you think insurance would cover it?

*Some insurance companies make you have a BMI of 40% of higher. YOu need to call them and find out what prerequisits they have.

Also, I am interested in learning about pther people's experiences. I have always been heavy. Is it worth it ?

*It was definitely worth it. I have never lost 50 lb with such breeze in all my life.

Was their pain post surgery?

*The only pain I had was at the port site. I couldn't sleep on my side for 7-10 days following surgery. I also had some nausea but that went away with the meds the doctor gave me.

How common are fills? Do they hurt? Cover by insurance?

*I am averaging a fill every 2 months. I am on fill #5. They don't hurt a bit. The only thing that stings is when he gives you the initial shot to numb the port site. Unfortunately my insurance does not cover them. They are $200 each.

I have tried so many other diets. THe only bummer about this is my husband needs to lose as well- and I keep thinking if I see a dietician or go back to Weight Watchers (again) he would benefit from that as well. He would never do lap band- but will support me as long as it is safe and hopefully covered by insurance. Any bad post-op side effects?

*Just a little nausea. I recuperated really easy.

Julie:D

I am a teacher, too. Hopefully, you don't have horrible teacher insurance like I do. Just watch out for exclusions. Mine doesn't cover obesity, but will consider it for morbid obesity, it is just taking FOREVER! They keep wanted past records, etc. Good Luck!!

Hello all!

Thank you so much for all your positive replies! Has anyone had a bad experience?? How is it changing your eating habits? How long before you have the surgery after you have gotten the ball rolling/ I have an educational seminar on 5/32 then nutrionalist and psychiatrist... hope it happens quickly.

Thank you all and keep up with ypur successes!

I'm a 32 year old mother of two, I'm at 260 lbs & my BMI is 40. I have just started considering the band this week after my sister had a Tummy Tuck. I would not have considered surgery if she didn't have her proceedure done only because I feel that everyone would think that surgery is the easy way to go instead of getting my butt to the gym. I'm scared and worried & many other emotions going on in my head. I'm in Chicago and my hubby has Carpenters Union insurance and don't think that this surgery will be covered. How much does it cost out of pocket? What about the excess skin? I don't want to look like I'm wearing a skin bag or have my skin hanging like a curtain on me. Many Q's, no answers. I guess the best thing to do is talk about it and go and see a doctor. Any comments will be appreciated.

I hear you. I really feel like this last 10 months while possibly a little easier just because I'm not as hungry has been difficult. I hate not being able to eat larger quantities of food. I finally lost a few lbs this week but I've really had to work hard on the exercise and calorie counting to do it. I've lost 52 lbs in 10 months. I wouldn't say that is fast at all. That is average. I need to really move my butt now for the rest of my weight to come off. This definitely isn't easy. Julie

Les,

this is the third time I started this. I am having a typing issue tonight!!

I am having the band on June 7. I am 48 and my bmi is 37. My insurance did cover gastric bypass but stopped covering it this year. I was bummed, but they did not cover band anyway. I was fortunate that my husband's insurance company did, and just started with the band in July 2006. However, there was a glitch, your BMI should be at 40 or above, however if it was 35-40 you had to have other health issues. I had about 6 out of the list of 10 or so. Asthma, sleep apnea, to name a few. I went to a surgeon group in Virginia ( where I live) that three people I know went to for gastric bypass. I talked with them on the phone and at first they stated they were not sure it would be covered due to my bmi, but when I explained it all, they said go for it. The group first made me go to an orientation that all new perspective patients go. It was very good, the doctor came and spoke. I was impressed. He answered questions, showed a video, explained boths surgeries and that they were only a "tool". You still need to make lifetime changes. I was excited when I left. They gave me a folder, I had to write and essay on my life experiences with my weight and my feelings. Then I had to see a psychiatrist or psychologist for an evaluation. They gave me a list. She was very nice. then I saw the Nurse, and was weighted, and talked to, Pictures, etc. After all that, about 2 months worth of time, they submitted my application to the insurance company. In two weeks, I was approved. Because the group is so popular, I could not get a surgery date until June. that was the biggest disapointment. But I can wait.

I had been to ww many times as well! I was so embarrased the last year, going there, knowing the leader, the group of people, and all the questions, etc! I just would give up to quickly, my weight was going no where.

My husband is supportive, but thin, and does not understand. but I agree with what has been said, you are doing it for yourself, so the heck with everyone if they don't understand. I have not told my kids yet, because they will worry more than any thing. I will next month. they are 18 and 21. I ahve a granddaughter, 18 months, so I need to live pass 50!

Keep in touch. this web site is great. I am glad to hear from everyone.

Janine