Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing, it's been a LONG TIME. I see all of you are doing SO WELL (Mandy, Chloe Yoda)!! Life is crazy isn't it? I'm doing pretty good, my weight loss has been going well....and BOOM. I had my yearly physical last week, turns out I'm now a full blown type II diabetic. Before my surgery last year all my blood work, etc. was fine, along with all the "fat" years before that, but now I've developed diabetes. I've noticed the symptoms in the last 2 months, excessive thirst, extreme tiredness, craving sugar like a madwoman but I never ever thought I would develop diabetes AFTER losing 85 pounds. Jeez, do I feel RIPPED. I'm on medication for it, diet (as if I could possibly STAND another diet, and this one SUCKS BIG TIME...and to think I'll be on it forever, that's just wonderful), exercise, all that. My sugars aren't coming down and I'm probably going to have to be started on a 2nd medication as well. I'm still in shock and trying desperately to bring my sugars down, but they're not budging. Has anyone ever heard of anyone developing diabetes AFTER a huge weight loss?? Or after WLS?

Wow, no, I haven't heard of that, but I'm sure it's NOT unheard of. What did your doctor say? Could it resolve with more weight loss?

I'm so glad to see you! I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what happened to you!!

You've done SO good!!! Congrats!!! :hug:

Holy CRAP are you doing well Mandy!!!! You're kickin ass man! Good for you...you must have hit the roof when you hit the 100 lb mark, wow, you ROCK :) . I'm SO happy with the band, there was always something in my brain that told me that it wouldn't REALLY work you know? I didn't think anything could help me with the weight loss, but this did, and it was worth every penny.

My doc said that it's very unusual, but I may have been predisposed to get it whether I spent years fat and yo-yo dieting or if I was just at a normal weight for all of my life. I have no family history either. She said that if I can lose some more weight it might help too, so I guess I'll have to see. I'm SO PISSED OFF right now, I need to get my head around this and deal with it.

I can imagine... post in some other areas of the board, and do some searching for other people who've had it happen too. I would definitely be pissed also... what a bitch! You do all this to avoid something like that, and it happens anyways! Hey, well at least you're 86lbs lighter, right?! haha

And thank you... it was very nice to make it to 100. I never truly thought I'd be successful either, but now I'm sold, and very happy with everything, and so worth the cost.

I hope you keep posting!

Hi everyone. I am new here but have been reading the forums for some time. I am in the research stage ie: trying to justify the price, but am desperate.

Will I ever be able to have a hamburger again? If I have a glass of wine will that be it - no food will fit? I think I am freeaaking out

Donna,

I was banded March 9th and one of the things that went through my mind was whether I could have some of the things that I used to enjoy before I was banded, and I came to the conclusion that I could have anything that I wanted to have as long as I planned for it and try to eliminate the impulse or binge eating. I am also finding out that you may not be able to tolerate some things as you fill your band and I am trying to look at that it positively too. The band is a tool to help you limit portion sizes and reduce the amount of food you can take in and therefore lose weight. So far I don't regret it!

I realize from reading here that everyone is different regarding what they can and cannot tolerate. I just keep trying to tell myself that this is the best thing for me. I know that I have to work at it. The band is just a tool, the band is just a tool.

Buffie... I am sorry to hear your news. I hope everything works out for you!

Donna D... I was banded at TLBC by Dr. Yau. No complaints about the surgery or the recovery time, though I am reallllllyyyyyy looking forward to eating real food again. I am still in the "full fluid" stage.

Buffie!!!!!!! How is my favourite vampire slayer??!!!

You are doing sooooooooooooooooooo awesome!!! WELL DONE :clap2:

Thanks for updating us and checking in; we were all wondering how you were!

Okay, that SUCKS about the diabetes; especially after such an incredible weight loss. Though I don't know first hand what you are going through, about 2 yrs ago, Mr Yoda was diagnosed with Type II diabetes and he went through all the stages that you will likely go through (ie. shock, anger, denial, sadness, acceptance). So, just let yourself go through it....it needs to take its natural course. If you haven't already, be sure to see a nutrionist who specializes in diabetes. It helped us a GREAT deal. Type II diabetes runs rampant in Mr Yoda's family (mother, father, grandfather etc) so it didn't come as a big surprise (though it didn't make it any easier to take).

Anyways....eventually you'll "get there"....it can take awhile to figure out the sugar control thing but eventually you will become an expert on your body and how what you eat and when you eat affects you. Your monitor will need to be your bestest friend for awhile. And...re. the medication...same thing....try different avenues (along with your doc's guidance) and find what works best for you...there are so many out there and different combinations etc. Don't be afraid to try to see what is going to work for you; there will be a cocktail out there that will be perfect for ya. And, don't worry about taking oral meds....it is better than insulin....(like Mr Yoda Senior).

And...you are correct: maybe your body is just reacting and I bet with additional weight loss it might "go away".

I don't know if any of that helps....just wanted to say that what you are feeling is normal....allow yourself to feel it.

TAKE CARE!!!!!!!! You're NOT ALONE.....not in the band stuff nor in the diabetes stuff.

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!! And make sure you don't deal with the diabetes issues alone....share it.

:) :)

((((HUG))))

One more thing Buffie....you are actually very fortunate that the diabetes was "caught" now at your age (like Mr Yoda).....the vast majority of people with diabetes don't find out about it until they are MUCH older and by then it has gone really far and they usually start our on insulin and the progression is soooo much worse. Since it was caught very early for you, you're laughin'!!!!!!

(silver lining!).

Hi: It must have been a shock to be diagnosed with diabetes after you lost a lot of weight, but thin and overweight people have diabetes. As your doc. said you are probably predisposed to come down with it. I have Diabetes Type II have had for a number of years. If you want to keep the meds down the best way is exercise and diet. The more exerecise you have the easier it is to control your diabetes. Thirty minutes a day is the best. Doddie