Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideas / Strategies to not emotional eat - worried

I'm in process for lap band surgery. A few more months to wait for insurance clearance. But I really worry about how I'm going to cope without food for comfort. It's been my go-to reliever for almost my entire life. And please don't tell me to go for a walk or gym. That may work for some but not me. What I need are ideas for night time after dinner sitting on couch and my mind starts going. I've been going through real life stress right now w/ career stuff etc. and I can't figure out a way to avoid food and wine. But I'm very committed to changing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I was in the same boat. Honestly, once you get the surgery and you get in the mind set that you HAVE to do it. You'll find a way. I bought healthy Snacks. Buy the little 100 calorie snack packs, SF Jello and pudding. Carrots- but chew them well. I also started journaling. When I found myself unable to control my battle to eat food that wasn't good for me I would go on a rant in my journal. Write about what's bothering you and write about what you want to eat and why you think eating will help you feel better. Sounds kinda stupid... but I swear by my journal. If anybody found it they would think I was stark raving mad.

For me surgery was a last resort. You'll find once your banded and adjusted your band will help you. You'll either get stuck on something you shouldn't eat or it will help you know when you've had enough... or better yet you just wont feel hungry anymore.

I'm on my third fill and I just don't get hungry anymore like I did. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

If exercise is not going to work for you, find something...anything..that will take you away from sitting on the couch and watching TV. Read, take a lovely warm bath, knit, do puzzles... What you want to do is find something to occupy your time so you are not always thinking about food.

Oh..and maybe some other type of exercise might work. I don't run or walk...can't do it yet with my new hips but I started taking a Water exercise class and it's not only good for me physically, but I'm getting to know the other folks in the class and it's also a way to socialize. Maybe something like that would work for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Try brushing your teeth....no one wants to eat after they brush their teeth!

You can also try polishing your nails. Makes your hands pretty and you can't eat with wet fingernails.