Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Required Nutrition Class

So far I have done the initial consultation with the surgeon, seen the psychologist and took that crazy 330 question test, did the required support group and the nutrition evaluation. Yesterday I did the group nutrition class.

Going into the class I was not sure what to expect. The conference room they did the class was about 30 feet away from the hospital lobby's Starbucks. There were 9 of us in the room, 4 guys and 5 girls. All of the girls seemed to be doing the full bypass when 3 of us guys were doing sleeve. I was warned on this website that the nutritionist would be some skinny little 20 something who has no idea what is like to be overweight and spend the 90 minute class talking to us about how and why we have become morbidly obese. It turns out she was quite a nice class facilitator.

The class focused more on what to expect and tips and suggestions to mitigate post-op complications. It was quite informative. I feel most people who get to this point of seriously wanted WLS have already done all the research and could practically write a book about diet and exercise. It was good to see a hospital nutrition program giving you a decent roadmap on how to get back on path without judging how you got so far off the path in the first place.

Next week I do my ultrasound of the abdomen and the next week I see the pulmonogist. I hear this doctor can be a major hurdle to clear before you can scheduled for surgery.

My personal opinion is... the more hurdles you have to jump, the more prepared you'll be. I had to go through 3 months of a supervised diet, plus a lot of tests. I feel good about my decision now because those 3 months encouraged me to read all I could about the surgery and to gather everything I needed to be successful after it.

So far I have done the initial consultation with the surgeon, seen the psychologist and took that crazy 330 question test, did the required support group and the nutrition evaluation. Yesterday I did the group nutrition class.

Going into the class I was not sure what to expect. The conference room they did the class was about 30 feet away from the hospital lobby's Starbucks. There were 9 of us in the room, 4 guys and 5 girls. All of the girls seemed to be doing the full bypass when 3 of us guys were doing sleeve. I was warned on this website that the nutritionist would be some skinny little 20 something who has no idea what is like to be overweight and spend the 90 minute class talking to us about how and why we have become morbidly obese. It turns out she was quite a nice class facilitator.

The class focused more on what to expect and tips and suggestions to mitigate post-op complications. It was quite informative. I feel most people who get to this point of seriously wanted WLS have already done all the research and could practically write a book about diet and exercise. It was good to see a hospital nutrition program giving you a decent roadmap on how to get back on path without judging how you got so far off the path in the first place.

Next week I do my ultrasound of the abdomen and the next week I see the pulmonogist. I hear this doctor can be a major hurdle to clear before you can scheduled for surgery.

Hey, CubsWin! Where are you getting your surgery done? I'm in the suburbs of Chicago and I was just curious if it was Silver Cross by any chance.

I am going through Suburban Surgical Center aka The Kane Center in Hoffman Estates. Their hospital affiliation is Alexian Brothers and St Alexus in Elk Grove Village and Hoffman Estates.

I am going through Suburban Surgical Center aka The Kane Center in Hoffman Estates. Their hospital affiliation is Alexian Brothers and St Alexus in Elk Grove Village and Hoffman Estates.

Thanks for replying. :)

I loved every one of the classes that I was required to attend…..even if I thought going in I wouldn't be interested in the content I vowed to take away 1 thing. That worked out great and I learned more than I can tell you…..good luck

Hi Cubs Win. I am also having Gastric Sleeve with the Kane Center (Dr. Rantis) the day before you 02/27/14.

I had Lap-Band in March 2008 and had it removed in November 2013. I am revising to Gastric Sleeve, I had to wait 3 months for my stomach and esophagus to heal from 5 years of Lap-Band.

Are you having your surgery in Elk Grove (Alexian Brothers) or Hoffman Estates (St. Alexius) ?

I am having mine in Elk Grove. I am doing the Pre-Op Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shakes right now.

I just did my Pre-Op Blood work, EKG and Chest X-Ray today.

Good Luck with your surgery, it will be here before you know it.

I am doing St. Alexis in Hoffman Estates on the 28th. I figured both hospitals are about the same with a slightly different names so I took the first available. I typically work with Northwest University Hospital but I wanted something close to home which is why I chose the Kane Center. I have my Pre-op testing next Thursday. I am curios on what is involved for this appointment. How brutal was it?

I am doing St. Alexis in Hoffman Estates on the 28th. I figured both hospitals are about the same with a slightly different names so I took the first available. I typically work with Northwest University Hospital but I wanted something close to home which is why I chose the Kane Center. I have my Pre-op testing next Thursday. I am curios on what is involved for this appointment. How brutal was it?

The appointment was easy. They weighed me, per usual, reviewed my medical history, asked a bunch of questions and I was out in less than 30 min. If you have any issue like high blood pressure, diabetics, etc. expect them to prob on those.

I grew up in Schaumburg and know St. Alexis well. I remember when it was built, called Hoffman Estates Medical Center back then.

Best of luck.