Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had a false image of what the band is supposed to do

I watched my step-mom struggle for years with the band. She only lost 60 lbs (looks great though) and vomits every single time she eats!! She was banded in 08 and hasn't had a fill in years. She also eats whatever she wants even if it's not band friendly. Learning from everyone else in joining this forum and my personal decision to be banded, I am highly relieved that when I am banded on Thursday, this won't be my fate after all! I believe she has some kind of mental illness that causes her to always want to be sick (always having unnecessary surgeries and such) which I'm sure has something to do with it). It's very good to see that not only does vomiting not happen every single time but it should almost NEVER happen!!

Everyone is different but you are correct. Not everyone vomits nor should they. I think I have twice. If you are careful when you eat, chew well, take appropriate sized bites and have a properly (not too tight)band, vomiting will be a rarity. I can eat almost anything though there are something's I haven't and won't try. For instance, I eat whole grain breads and avoid white doughy bread and haven't got the nerve yet to try steak. I do potatoes but not rice. You will figure it out as you go and do fine. But the point I'm trying to make is vomiting isn't normal.

I was banded in October 2013, and have had only 1 time that I actually vomited because I had something stuck. That was enough for me to make sure I chew, chew, chew. This is all such a learning process. I was always eating way to fast and that has changed. You will do great!! This group has also helped me alot. Great advise and great ideas to help a person through.

The dreaded 'vomit' by whatever name, is a symptom not a malady.

It is a warning that something isn't quite right. Ignoring chronic recurring symptom is not a good idea as a strategy for good health.

I watched my step-mom struggle for years with the band. She only lost 60 lbs (looks great though) and vomits every single time she eats!! She was banded in 08 and hasn't had a fill in years. She also eats whatever she wants even if it's not band friendly. Learning from everyone else in joining this forum and my personal decision to be banded, I am highly relieved that when I am banded on Thursday, this won't be my fate after all! I believe she has some kind of mental illness that causes her to always want to be sick (always having unnecessary surgeries and such) which I'm sure has something to do with it). It's very good to see that not only does vomiting not happen every single time but it should almost NEVER happen!!

You explained what is happening right in your statement....she eats anything, anytime she wants, band friendly or not.....and almost always vomits....

The band is there to CHANGE US...we had bad eating habits, that made us obese and unhealthy, and traditional dieting could not solve the problem for me......I had surgery to turn that around...to do what I could not do on my own....if I do not change my bad ways, then I am FIGHTING THE BAND...and the band will always win...if I continue to fight the band, it will only end in disaster......

The correct term is not vomiting, but I get what you mean....I learned to live with the band, let the band be the boss...not me...that is why I do not call it a tool....and in return I am 100% successful and have not vomited, as you say, in over 2 years....I don't fight it. I adapted and changed....

Of course, I could get Fluid taken out of my band, and then I could eat whatever and whenever I wanted....then I would be in control...but history has shown, over the last 35 years, that when I'm in control of my weight loss, it does not work....

Yes i really appreciate that i had to go thru 6 months of check ups and education to learn as much as i can prior to being banded and i STILL dnt know everything. Ive read it is important to go slow and chew well. That shuld usually take care of the problem if not i guess u have to look at what u r eating and maybe ur stomach cant handls it

Wendydarling, best wishes with your lapband. sounds like you have researched to know what the lapband is about.Karen..aka.kll724

No offense-- and I hate when people start a sentence with that. Sorry! IMO I think your stepmom provided you with what not to do with the band. We're not meant to eat what we want and vomiting is definitely not good for a bandster...for so many reasons.

Sounds like you've done your research and please remember there are a lot of good people on here who will help you as much as they can, of course with the caveat that they are not your DR.

Keep us up to date with your journey!

Blue

Ive been banded nearly 6 months now & only 3x have i, had to "cough something up" because of the restriction, or eating solid foods too soon after a fill, or from just not chewing &then swallowing whole bites, & it causes such pain in ur chest, & the sliming, & sweating isnt pretty.

But it taught me several lessons on what the band will not allow.

Clean, green, unprocessed foods are the most difficult to get down so proceed with caution when eating these.

Only the junk foods aka sliders go down with ease, i find & almost no discomfort.

Also, bands in 2008 were a little different.

They only held 4-6cc's (not real sure, but its a single digit) so they are almost nearly restricted immediately right out of surgery.

The allergen bands now days can hold up to 9,10,11,& even 14cc's so they require fills to provide the needed restriction to minimize our meal portions

I order fresh organic pressed juice locally in single daily servings in glass bottles. I drink my veggies! I love it. It allows me to EAT more Protein and not eat the veggies! Look into your local juice market. A great solution!

I have only ever had a little Water come back up once, the whole time I've been banded. I've had some 'stuck episodes', but I try to watch it when I know I am eating the foods that trigger that. I haven't totally cut some things out, I just try to very rarely eat them. Like potatoes/french fries, meat that's not moist, rice, bread. If I treat myself to a burger, I get a jr. size burger and eat only half or less of the bun.

I know I'd hoped to be at my goal before my two year bandiversay, but that didn't happen and I'm still not at it at my almost 3 1/2 year bandiversary. Major plateau. I know the band is a tool. It helped me loose what I have so far and will continue to help me, I just have to put some extra effort to get to my goal. And I know I will. You will too. Good luck to you.