Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcoholic Cocktails & Me

This thread is going to be very embarrassing for me, but I've talked to ALOT of women who are 8 or more years out on this subject, wished I'd of talked to them sooner!!!

Before surgery I was warned OVER AND OVER again about alcohol!!!..did I listen, NOOOOOOooo. I was going to be the ONE who drank like she did before, This is the ONLY issue I REFUSED to listen to, I didn't want my surgeon or the PhD's to get in my 'Cup'. I did give up beer, only because of the carbonation, but what was I thinking, I wasn't!!

About a year out, I thought I was safe, I was a miraculous 115 lbs, entering 'Maintenance" , had my Vitamin regiment down pat. blah blah blah. Feeling accomplished. BARTENDER!!! vodka martini please!!! first one, feeling good, whooo hooo...did a body check, no pain in the pouch, cool, BARTENDER!!! Vodka martini Please!!! People, I don't even remember leaving the establishment I was in. I opened one eye, head pounding and my husband standing at the foot of the bed shaking his head!!!..OH GOD!! what did I do!!!...well apparently not much. One minute I'm sitting there socializing, next second, I'm on the floor. I was a complete puddle, he carried me to the car and poured me in. out like a light!!!..I consider that episode a fluke, wont happen again, I'll drink something lighter

DING! round 2: GNO aka: Girls Night Out.

This time I decided I'd better get a strategy. I'd eat first. well this time I ordered my fave: White Wine..loveeee my wine, or I did. 1st glass, good, milder and lighter than the martini, slower to get a buzz. good strategy. yay me, figured it out. Drank a glass of Water in between, good, no pain in the pouch, not to buzzed. 2nd glass good, THIRD GLASS, BAM!!!! Hit me like a tone of bricks, this time I didn't fall out, but my buzz factor incapacitated me, I knew I couldn't get up and walk. crap! I whisper to my gal pal, to take me home. EMBARRASING!!! ok fine, I get it, I don't need round 3 to teach me anymore lessons, I'm not hard headed. But I do miss hitting the Vino till 2 A.M. So I do have 2 glass on whatever with a Water back, and call it a night, or if its a dinner party, I drink water for the rest of the night, I mourned, and still mourn my 7-8 glasses of vino on GNO'S. thanx for listening, embarrassing as that was.

Thanks for sharing. I love wine and I can't wait to have my wine back in May 2014. Coming from a family of alcoholics I don't drink much - 5 out of 7 of us are alcoholics and three are dead because of it. My biggest fear is to become one myself. I do love my two glasses of wine on a Saturday night! I'm a cheap date - I have a very low tolerance to alcohol even before surgery. I hear it'll be even worse so my two glasses of wine may have to be cut to one. I only drink at home so I'll be safe enough there. If we go out I'm the designated driver. :-)

I love my wine too. That's what I'm afraid of giving up, even more than most of the food. I think I can live with eventually having just two glasses on a night out.

I do drink with the sleeve but my weight loss came to a halt when I started drinking. Of course I can't drink like I use to but still try!

Unfortunately I have no problem with alcohol. I work it into my daily calorie count and have a couple of glasses of wine in the evenings.

This all sounds very civilized..lol..Me, not so much. I was a power drinker. I don't drink at home, to much to do, and get down. Im a crafter/creator, so drinking at home is out the question. But get me social-mod AND ITS ON!!!!..WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!..UNTIL!!! my pouch said "I DONT THINK SOOOoooo LITTLE LADY!!!! back it up, or I'll DO IT FOR YOU!!!..sometimes and my pouch fight, I call it names, it ignors me!!!

damn Im a crappy typer..but you get the jist...sheeezzz

I didn't drink during my Losing Phase..NOOOO!!!!! ...NOTHING was going to get in the way of that..I was a year out, a secure 115 lbs and holding stable...I'm a rule follower (first born child,,lol)..but apparently not in this situation. Only time I ever called my pouch a bad name..lol..It ignors me, brat!!!

But to curb my embarrassment, I DONT NOT exceed 2 glasses of whatever Im drinking and always have a Water back with it...not worth it anymore..Im getting past this stage, thank goodness, now I'm on to something new..its the 'creator' spirit in me..short attention span

Ms. Dee your honesty is nothing short of inspirational! Just amazing. Soooo, time to step up and share embarrassing stories. This one is a beaut!

I seldom dump but when I do it's late stage dumping - aka reactive hypoglycemia. Too much simple carbs (white rice) or too much sugar (I dumped once on grapes for Pete's sake) and two to three hours after eating my sugars drop like a rock in a pond. I mean REALLY drops. First time it happened I checked my blood sugar and it was 37.

Now I know this. I know the symptoms. I know the cause. I even know the "cure" - I eat just about anything with sugar in it and in 15 minutes I'm absolutely fine.

So a couple of weeks ago my wife and I had been running some post holiday errands. We finally get home and I'm thinking "I am so going to have a glass of wine". But we have some leftover eggnog and my wife says she'd love an eggnog with a little Captain Morgan's spiced rum and a dash of nutmeg. Wow. Why didn't I think of that? I think I'll join you! So I have my rum laced glass of eggnog and guys I have to tell you, it was like the nectar of life. I knocked down that first eggnog in about a minute and a half. Honey, you ready for another one?

I go to make us a second round and I'm thinking the only problem with this plan is that my glass just isn't big enough for "the nectar of life". No problem! We've got some of those Dixie plastic cups. You guys know the ones, bright red, hold 16oz. Perfect size for the nectar of life right? Eggnog, check. Rum, check. Can't forget the dash of nutmeg, check.

About an hour to an hour and a half later I fell asleep watching TV. Another hour or so later my wife wakes me up - "time for bed." Right behind you Honey! So I stand up and right away I'm thinking I don't feel so good. Cold sweats, my whole body has the shakes - you dumb a** you're dumping! On the nectar of life no less. Bummer. But hey, I'm on my way to bed. I'll just grab my Vitamins and hit the sack. So I get my Vitamins down and...

The next thing I remember I'm sitting (sort of) on the floor of our kitchen. My little plastic box that used to have my vitamins in it is sitting on the floor in my general vicinity. The vitamins that used to be in my little plastic box are - well, everywhere. It looked like my little plastic box had exploded in a shower of Vitamin shrapnel. My black lab is sniffing her way through the carnage to see if there's anything that would appeal to her meat-o-saurus taste buds. Fortunately, she apparently is not a Vitamin kind of girl. Then she realizes that Dad is awake and on "her floor" so of course it's time for black lab kisses. LOTS of black lab kisses.

So I'm sitting there trying to breathe while avoiding lab tongue in my mouth. I'm thinking. If I tell my wife about this, I'm dead. No, I'm worse than dead. She is not going to be amused. Then it comes to me - she's already upstairs in bed. Probably asleep already. You dummy, don't tell her! Pick up the vitamins, swear the lab to secrecy, life is good. Good plan! And it would have worked too. Except for one little detail. Apparently on my way to my unscheduled meeting with the floor, the kitchen trash can got in my way. The metal, kitchen, trash can. The one that now looks surprisingly like I drove my car into it. Wonder if she'll notice? Maybe I could blame it on the dog (sorry Libbi!)?

She noticed. And sure enough, she was not amused. I survived. But it was touch and go there for a while. And the nectar of life? Never, ever again. Hey, I ain't no fool!

Come on you guys. You know you want to. Dee shared her's. I shared mine. Let's hear some of those embarrassing stories!

Edited by DLCoggin

Ok here it goes!

The first time i went out after gastric bypass (4-22-13), I went to a bar for dollar bottles. My friends and I used to go to this establishment every Tuesday night for this. Was a darn ritual, and very cheap night out! Since I had been feeling better post bypass and back surgery, I decided to say yes when a group texted me and asked me to join them. I hadn't drank in about 8 months at this point. I went out and drank beer which went down great, one after the other. I saw so many old friends and was having fun! My son picked me up at 8pm, the designated time. I don't remember getting into the house or sitting at the dining room table, and spitting on the floor for an hour trying not to puke. My daughter had turned 21 in July and I guess I resembled her after her big night out. Needless to say, I was very embarrassed at being seen this way by my kids and vowed to never do this again. I used to be able to drink like a professional and NEVER get sick but those days are long gone I quess! It's just not worth it. Now i have a few drinks and then remember that night and how i felt in the morning. No thanks!! ;)

Edited by Dorian

DL: OMG!!!!...Yay!!! again NOT ALONE!!!!...sorry peeps, these are funny!!!..Im still giggling over here!!! Seriously?? I'd still be blaming the dog. My husband would be like "Is our dog getting FAT?...lolol..guilt treats...lololol...thank you DL..good idea, good laughs, Hey if you can't laugh at yourself...lolo..I miss ole Morgie to...lolol

Dorian: RIGHT!!!?? one minute partying like a rock star..might have even danced a round or 2..next thing BAM!!!! spitting on the kitchen floor. God Gastric is a glamorous life, ain't it!!!...lolol

Hey at least we are honest!

I love wine and micro brew beers!!! Sad to say I can't drink not even a sip of either. They both hurt bad when going down. I really think my lap band did a ton of damage to my esophagus. I try a sip of wine every now and then. A girl can try right.

I have several friends who have had RNY and lap band some of them can drink. I'm talking 4-6 beers. Sometimes even more.

Ok so yet again a side effect of RNY that I don't have. I can drink as much wine as I used to. I don't get tipsy any quicker and I don't dump. Sometimes I wonder if I did actually have this bloody surgery, lol. The only effect from it I do have is hiccups!

I wonder when you started with alcohol again.. I'm kind of afraid to try. Hope my tolerance is a lot lower now, getting a buzz cost me a fortune:p

And of course, the only time I have a party with an open bar was when i wasn't drinking. You get to hear a lot of interesting things though when your friends are drunk, and you're the only sober one;)