Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the purpose of the pre-op liquid diet

Hi All.. Just curious, I have been reading about the pre-op diet everyone is talking about before the surgery. I was wondering what is the use of this diet as my operation is scheduled on 5 Feb. What is the benefit of going for such a diet? I would want to do it if it will help the surgery in anyway.

I might have had a confident or nice doctor who is nice enough not to order such a diet for me (as it was the Chinese New Year festival before that - something similar to Christmas) but I would definitely want to do it if it can help minimise complications in anyway.

Would appreciate any form of advice. Thanks in advance.

Do destroy your will to live.

In all seriousness, it's so that you drop a bunch of weight right before the surgery to shrink your liver and make the procedure safer. They have to physically lift your liver up to get to your stomach and the more flexible, pliable, and moveable it is the fewer complications that can come up.

It may suck in the beginning, but when you're post-op and counting every pound you'll be excited to include your post-op losses in your total loss. I've lost 27 since surgery in one month, but saying I lost 43 since I began my pre-op diet sound even better!

Hi HarlemLoser,

You are really speedy in your reply and funny too! I do not really have a strong sense of humour and did not catch your first phrase the first time round but upon relooking it the second time, I was "LOL" :)

So I guess, I should also do some form of pre-op diet to help myself and the surgeon. It will be a struggle with all the celebratory lunches and dinners but I will get by and refrain from losing my will to live. Thanks a lot for helping this newbie!

Don't do a pre-op without guidance. Some surgeons don't require one and it may be the surgeon doesn't feel you need to. Just go by what your doctor says, and if the surgeon says you don't need one that's AWESOME.

They used to have a lackey holding your stomach up so they could get to the liver...Now they have a scoop..It is narrow and it holds the liver in place while the surgery goes on....if your liver is too big it can slip and he might cut you accidentally ...It is all for the good that we shrink it before surgery....

Ok, noted. Thanks for your advice! It is really comforting when you reply so quickly :)

The aspect of the pre-op diet that is most important for shrinking the liver is the lack of sugar. So even if there is one aspect you adhere to most carefully, let it be that one - no sugar! In anything!

A laceration of the liver can be quite serious, so it behooves you to do all you can to help avoid it.

Thanks for your advice, jeanz!

Hi, I just joined Bariatric Pal and noticed your entry. My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 3 and my Dr. asked me to lose 3 lbs. prior to that day. I'm so eager to get it done that I lost and regained 2 lbs. in the last few days. I should just be grateful it's not the SAT! Take cae!