Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had to jump through many hoops to be okayed for Lap Band placement because of age. I feel a little pressure because I was of an age that my surgeon felt hesitant to take me. (My family begged a little because of the onset of high blood pressure, boarder line diabetes, obesity & etc. for which I was taking meds.) I had my surgery at a teaching hospital and when we checked with my insurance company they were enthusiastic. Better to treat before onset of a disease rather than after.

Anyone know of older patients? :rolleyes:

Well what a happy birthday to you. I have had a few patients that were older. So glad it gave you your life back.

Congratulations, no, you are the oldest lapbander that I have heard of!

old my ASS......YOU are a success and 84 years YOUNG and gorgeous inside and most def out

an inspiration to us ALL

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

old my ASS......YOU are a success and 84 years YOUNG and gorgous inside and most def out an inspiration to us ALL

Here here I second that statement!!!! Happy birthday to you!!!

Wow that is great and just think you added more yrs. to live your life , when you decided to get banded.

Happy Birthday to you... I hope you live to be at least 100... I thought I was too old to get my band too but my Surgeon encouraged me to go for it... I had diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.. I am 67. I am totally off of all meds... Your story is encouraging and hopefully other older people will be inspired to get the band...

Hi youngsters, I am 70 and was banded Jan. 27, 2014, I am so excited to begin a new journey, a healthier one. I grew up with the advertiz. "nothin' says lovin' than somethin' from the oven and Pilsbarry says it best". My new motto is I control the quantity and my new best friend the band, controls the quantity. (Oh, I have lost 7 lbs the first week)

We are getting better!

You may be 84 this spring, but you are younger than springtime as the song goes. We really are getting better not older.lol

Joanne, you are my new hero. My surgery is Monday and the age factor has been a source of concern since the first day I started this journey. Your post went a long way in alleviating my trepidation. And, I'm only 72 ... :-)

Edited by Hevnbound

I just thought I would ask , why does your surgery say it is gastric sleeve , are you getting sleeved or the lap band , their are different weight loss surgeries , that's why I am asking ,and there are some different issues with the different types , well I was just curious, good luck on wich ever you are doing.

Joanne, you are my new hero. My surgery is Monday and the age factor has been a source of concern since the first day I started this journey. Your post went a long way in alleviating my trepidation. And, I'm only 72 ... :-)

I just thought I would ask , why does your surgery say it is gastric sleeve , are you getting sleeved or the lap band , their are different weight loss surgeries , that's why I am asking ,and there are some different issues with the different types , well I was just curious, good luck on wich ever you are doing.

I selected the VSG (vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) because of it's "finality" and less complications than the band. The downside is that it is more dangerous than the band during the initial surgery and, if complications post surgery do happen, age comes into play regarding successful recovery. Weight loss is quicker with the Sleeve. Personally, I think the Band would be a safer way to go for older patients that have no co-morbidities and less weight to loose. The band can be reversed relatively easy. The Sleeve cannot be reversed - and, as previously mentioned that is one reason it appeals to me. I don't need anything that I know I can undo and/ or cheat with. Do your own investigation, talk to people who have had the surgeries, discuss it with a Bariatic surgeon, attend a seminar, make sure you have your spouses' and family support and then make your OWN decision. Thanks for the good words. Of course, I added that last bit of "wisdom" at no additional charge assuming you have not had the surgery yet?!? :-)

Edited by Hevnbound

Hi, I am 70and was banded Jan. 27 this year. I have no regrets. I have lost approx. 12 lbs. and do not feel deprived. I do keep a Protein Drink in my car and sometimes in my purse, just in case I am really hungry or tempted. Good luck to you..I think age has a benefit in bariactrics We know this is our last chance to get some real help in braking bad eating habits. Have a great healthy life. You have just added 15 years to your retirement.

I selected the VSG (vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) because of it's "finality" and less complications than the band. The downside is that it is more dangerous than the band during the initial surgery and, if complications post surgery do happen, age comes into play regarding successful recovery. Weight loss is quicker with the Sleeve. Personally, I think the Band would be a safer way to go for older patients that have no co-morbidities and less weight to loose. The band can be reversed relatively easy. The Sleeve cannot be reversed - and, as previously mentioned that is one reason it appeals to me. I don't need anything that I know I can undo and/ or cheat with. Do your own investigation, talk to people who have had the surgeries, discuss it with a Bariatic surgeon, attend a seminar, make sure you have your spouses' and family support and then make your OWN decision. Thanks for the good words. Of course, I added that last bit of "wisdom" at no additional charge assuming you have not had the surgery yet?

The only reason I asked is because there are different sites on here and you posted on the band site , and didn't know if you might have been meaning to post on vsg weight loss surgery site, well like I said good luck in what you choose to.do.

I selected the VSG (vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) because of it's "finality" and less complications than the band. The downside is that it is more dangerous than the band during the initial surgery and, if complications post surgery do happen, age comes into play regarding successful recovery. Weight loss is quicker with the Sleeve. Personally, I think the Band would be a safer way to go for older patients that have no co-morbidities and less weight to loose. The band can be reversed relatively easy. The Sleeve cannot be reversed - and, as previously mentioned that is one reason it appeals to me. I don't need anything that I know I can undo and/ or cheat with. Do your own investigation, talk to people who have had the surgeries, discuss it with a Bariatic surgeon, attend a seminar, make sure you have your spouses' and family support and then make your OWN decision. Thanks for the good words. Of course, I added that last bit of "wisdom" at no additional charge assuming you have not had the surgery yet?!? :-)