Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week so why am I so hungry??

Hi all! I just had my surgery on 3-13-07, I am on the prescribed puree diet after being on Clear Liquids for three days, regular liquids for two and now the pureed. I am SO HUNGRY! I fill up when I eat but I have to eat almost two cups of food to feel it. Then with in a couple of hours I start getting hungry again. I haven't been drinkin while I eat as I understand that his can wash the food through the pouch quicker. I am a bit concerned has anyone had this problem. Could the band have already slipped?

April

No, you just don't have any restriction yet. You are in what is referred to around here as bandster hell. You have a band in place, but it is not functioning yet. It has been likened to buying the car---but until you fill it with gas, it isn't going to take you anywhere. If you must eat more, eat less at a time, and eat it more often. Avoid stuffing the pouch all at one time. Keep the amount in it, limited, and as light weight as possible. That will help it heal. If you have to eat another 1/2 cup in an hour, it is still better for your band.

Try to choose the foods carefully. Keeping low sugar, and low carb in mind. They tend to exacerbate the cravings.

When you can begin the fill process, it will all begin to change. It may take several fills to achieve a good level of restriction, but that is when your band truly begins to work.

Until then, think of this as one last diet----work as hard as you can to get through this time. It isn't easy---I remember it! You will have times your head is so hungry---if you can, go take a walk, ot go Water the plants---anything to get busy, get moving, and interupt the thoughts wanting to eat. Once you get through this hard time, it will get better---but I would not stress over thinking the band has slipped---it is rightfully called----bandster hell....

Hang in there!!!!

Welcome to LBT April, we are glad you are here---and look forward to getting to know you!!

Kat

Hi April, basically your band isn't working right now because you don't have a fill. You need about 6 weeks before you get your first fill. Now is the time for healing and not weight loss. You will feel much better after you get a fill or 2. A lot of your hunger will be gone. Good luck.

I am right there with you. I am so hungry and these Soups are not doing a thing for me, except diahrrea(wrong spelling). I feel so guilty for eating a little more or more often. I feel that I paid for this and I should be trying harder but I can't get the hunger to go away. I was on a three week pre-op diet and now this.:P I am just depressed I can't eat. This will pass. Thanks for the support.

Stacy

Been there. done the same thing. Above all, don't kick yourself. Just practice living like a bandster as much as possible. You'll get there..... A fill is a wonderful thing.

I was banded day after you and felt like why have I done this....I was supposed to be on only sugar free liquids with broth for 2 solid weeks. Luckily I called doctor and he advanced me yesterday to soft Protein, Beans, tuna, juicy chicken breast. I was so excited to be able to swallow something but afraid b/c I don't know what full feels like so yesterday I had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for Breakfast, 1 can of tuna for lunch and 1 cup of chicken salad. I think I felt full but I don't know. Today I have been feeling sad b/c I miss eating and think about eating btw meals often, but havent instead I cry and then feel better...I bought me a journal today (not something I usually do)..I will go back and write about why I wanted to do this in the first place and write all I eat and time and amount I eat. I'm also filling it up with words of encouragement to myself. At least while I do this I'm not obsessing on what I have given up. This process is tough and I offer my support to you with your journey. I wish I had words of encouragement or advice, but I'm in the same boat as you...Good Luck...and I hope things get easier for both of us.:P

Ok, now I don't feel quite so worried. I appreciate all the advise, especially from you Kat, I will try to avoid eating so much at once, that makes good sense. Bandster Hell really sucks! lol

I wonder why my pre-op and post-op diet is so much less restrictive than many of you? I had to try to loose 1lb before surgery only (wow I can sh$% that out! lol, - lost 3lbs) and was only on clear liquids the 24 hours before surgery. Then afterward, clear liquids three days, regular liquids two days and now puree until my fill. Dr. Nigro at Weightloss Surgical Center in Overland Park Kansas is my doc. I feel badly for so many of you having to go through so much before the surgery, even psych testing? Is that for insurance purposes? My insurance wouldn't pay a dime so I had to finance my band. I started the process 1-26-07 and had surgery 3-13-07 and some of you have had to wait forever! I consider myself blessed, I don't know if I could have waited that long!

Also, I am not good at the computer thing, how did you all put the "loss meter" thing on your posts? Very cool!

Peace and blessings to all...

April

Hello aprilmarie and congrats on your band!!

It is fascinating how many doctors are soooo different in their pre-op and post-op plans. But they all have their beliefs, I guess.

Yes, the psych and all the other stuff lots of us have had to do is because of insurance. The hoops you have to jump through are insane!

You asked how to put the ticker in your posts, here's a link to a thread that explains it pretty well:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/get-ticker-your-t16218.html

wow AprilMarie, you are lucky. My insurance says I have to lose 5lbs of my body weight before surgery; for me that is 13 lbs. Then I have to do a 24 liquid diet before surgery, then 3 WEEKS of nothing but liquids followed by 2 weeks pureed......I can't wait (beating my head against the floor in anticipation) But it will all be worth it!