Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need so much help!

It's been a year, I've followed my diet to a T. In that year (and 2 months) I've been diagnosed as hypoglycemic, had a huge jump in fibro pain, dealing with permanent leak complications, osteiarthritis has gotten worse, had my surgeon treat me like sh!t, looking at potential surgery for my now almost exposed tailbone, and only lost 60-65lbs (haven't been on a scale in awhile.) a sleeve test showed my sleeve can hold: wait for it- 16 ounces! I've measured and weighed everything. The sleeve has been crap for me. Low carb and high Protein has obviously done all it can and even my dietician is at a loss. So- what do you do when the sleeve stops working? It's time for other diet options. Sensa, maybe? Guide me. Advise me. Help me. I am NOT satisfied, I'm still "obese" and very depressed to have gone through so much with such minimal results.

Heeeeelp!

Many people on here will suggest the 5:2 diet to you, so I will let them sing their praises for that.

I know it's probably a last resort , but is another surgery an option? The DS maybe? If not, the biggest thing you can do is just be self disciplined. It may take longer to get to goal, but every little ounce of trying your best will eventually get you there. Try to detox off of the carbs, maybe try a paleo type eating plan. Good luck!

Can you tell us more about how your leak complications are effecting you? Also with your low blood sugars, can you not go long periods without eat before getting too low??

It's been a year, I've followed my diet to a T. In that year (and 2 months) I've been diagnosed as hypoglycemic, had a huge jump in fibro pain, dealing with permanent leak complications, osteiarthritis has gotten worse, had my surgeon treat me like sh!t, looking at potential surgery for my now almost exposed tailbone, and only lost 60-65lbs (haven't been on a scale in awhile.) a sleeve test showed my sleeve can hold: wait for it- 16 ounces! I've measured and weighed everything. The sleeve has been crap for me. Low carb and high Protein has obviously done all it can and even my dietician is at a loss. So- what do you do when the sleeve stops working? It's time for other diet options. Sensa, maybe? Guide me. Advise me. Help me. I am NOT satisfied, I'm still "obese" and very depressed to have gone through so much with such minimal results. Heeeeelp!

I am so sorry to hear your struggles. It sounds like you have had a rough road. I can sympathize with the tailbone part. At times, I am I able to sit and driving is a nightmare.

I was going to ask, though, what does your surgeon say about the capacity? It sure seems to be abnormal there are those on here who have been "resleeved" because of things such as this. Also someone mentioned DS. There is also RNY if you wish to go that route ( another surgery). With physical issues, I'm told RNY is the recommended when there are sleeve complications. Maybe somebody Can weigh in that has experienced this type of problem

I also experienced periods of low blood sugar where I would get extremely clammy, almost pass out and blood sugar drop to 50 or so. Ice I cleaned up my diet some and got on a better plan and quit eating as much carbs, mine has leveled out.

I know someone mentioned 5:2 and it has worked for many of us including those whose weight loss slowed or stopped and people like me, who reached goal, and regained some.

I just hate that you have had this much struggle and turmoil to endure.

This just sounds awful! So sorry. You're a warrior, though! Hove hung in. You're here. Posting. Never give up!!!

So when I had my initial consult with my bariatric surgeon she said the sleeve is very much a middle of the road procedure, "if you're not where you want to be or at the goal I've set for you, you can always revise to a band or RNY." So there ya go. You have surgery options.

I got the sleeve so I would never diet again and I don't. I obviously wasn't ever very good at it. Lol. I don't how to advise you on that....keep in touch!

Can you tell us more about how your leak complications are effecting you? Also with your low blood sugars, can you not go long periods without eat before getting too low??

The abscess from leak ended up testing GRAM+ (MRSA) so now I'm a colonizer/carrier. I've had repeated bouts with MRSA sores in my nose, throat and mouth. I also have some permanent lung damage in the mid section of my left lung meaning I'm prone to lung infections and have had more since surgery than I have my whole life. Before surgery I had a lung test and due to genetics, the bottom quadrants of both lungs were barely functioning but it had never caused problems. Now any lung problem has to be treated promptly and checked for MRSA.

Also, for my blood sugar I can make it a maximum of 3.5 hours before my sugar bottoms and I have to eat something. My GP and dietician say to eat a small dose of quick carbs, followed by Protein and that's what I do if I bottom. But it's VERY hard to maintain on a Protein rich diet. I try though!

Edited by lizv123

I am so sorry to hear your struggles. It sounds like you have had a rough road. I can sympathize with the tailbone part. At times, I am I able to sit and driving is a nightmare. I was going to ask, though, what does your surgeon say about the capacity? It sure seems to be abnormal there are those on here who have been "resleeved" because of things such as this. Also someone mentioned DS. There is also RNY if you wish to go that route ( another surgery). With physical issues, I'm told RNY is the recommended when there are sleeve complications. Maybe somebody Can weigh in that has experienced this type of problem I also experienced periods of low blood sugar where I would get extremely clammy, almost pass out and blood sugar drop to 50 or so. Ice I cleaned up my diet some and got on a better plan and quit eating as much carbs, mine has leveled out. I know someone mentioned 5:2 and it has worked for many of us including those whose weight loss slowed or stopped and people like me, who reached goal, and regained some. I just hate that you have had this much struggle and turmoil to endure.

60? I'm lucky to maintain a 70 normal lol after 2-3 hours after eating I'm at 30ish give or take. I would LOVE a revision to DS but my surgeon refuses because my BMI isn't high enough and he has blatantly blamed me for my lack of weight loss. It's my fault I have fibromyalgia and my fault I have to eat small quantities often and that has my sleeve "stretch" (which in his seminar he says is impossible. I'm so tempted to go to his next seminar and give my horror story of my month long stay at the hospital, a year of complications, and his horrible bedside manner.)

I really don't know much of 5:2. At this point I'm willing to try anything I can.

This just sounds awful! So sorry. You're a warrior, though! Hove hung in. You're here. Posting. Never give up!!! So when I had my initial consult with my bariatric surgeon she said the sleeve is very much a middle of the road procedure, "if you're not where you want to be or at the goal I've set for you, you can always revise to a band or RNY." So there ya go. You have surgery options. I got the sleeve so I would never diet again and I don't. I obviously wasn't ever very good at it. Lol. I don't how to advise you on that....keep in touch!

I've been following the diet exactly with no results! I never had problems dieting and losing weight, I would just always gain it back :P so I'm thinking with a different diet or something, and the help of the sleeve I could diet and not gain it back as easily or as quickly. If that makes sense

Edited by lizv123

You poor girl. Your story sounds horrid!!! How frustrating!

I'm not sure if the 5:2 will be feasible with your hypoglycemia! 2 days a week you have modified fasting days where you consume around 500 calories a day. It may be tricky to keep your cals that low if your blood sugars get low after 3 hours.

Have you tried weight lifting to increase your lean muscle mass? That's what I am working on to get to my next goal. (I'm 2.5 years out)

Edited by Sleeve of Steel

I've been following the diet exactly with no results! I never had problems dieting and losing weight, I would just always gain it back :P so I'm thinking with a different diet or something, and the help of the sleeve I could diet and not gain it back as easily or as quickly. If that makes sense

Are you working with an endocrinologist who treats WLS patients?

How difficult it must be! (((hugs)))... was that capacity test done with cottage cheese or other Protein? Some things you can eat LOTS more of... I have Soup for dinner many nights, and can eat 3-4 cups of it! The liquid opens the pyloris and it just passes through pretty quickly. Protein on the other hand snaps that thing shut and you feel fullness longer on less.... if it is truly 16 oz of protein, then I would def look into a resleeve... how is your docs record?

You poor girl. Your story sounds horrid!!! How frustrating! I'm not sure if the 5:2 will be feasible with your hypoglycemia! 2 days a week you have modified fasting days where you consume around 500 calories a day. It may be tricky to keep your cals that low if your blood sugars get low after 3 hours. Have you tried weight lifting to increase your lean muscle mass? That's what I am working on to get to my next goal. (I'm 2.5 years out)

My arthritis and fibromyalgia keeps me from weightlifting and it breaks my heart! I loved doing that before surgery but the complications an meds I was on during my leak ordeal pushed my fibro up to a whole new level. On the days I can, I do whatever exercise possible but most days getting out of bed and staying awake is a chore. :/

Are you working with an endocrinologist who treats WLS patients?

No I'm not, what would the bring to the picture exactly? As familiar I am with the mass of different doctors, endocrinology is a field I'm not familiar with.

How difficult it must be! (((hugs)))... was that capacity test done with cottage cheese or other Protein? Some things you can eat LOTS more of... I have Soup for dinner many nights, and can eat 3-4 cups of it! The liquid opens the pyloris and it just passes through pretty quickly. Protein on the other hand snaps that thing shut and you feel fullness longer on less.... if it is truly 16 oz of protein, then I would def look into a resleeve... how is your docs record?

I actually did it with protein. chicken breast to be exact :) after all my complications I'm not sure I'd even want to be resleeved, especially by my surgeon. His record was good, and I apparently am the only patient he's had issues with as far as attitude. I was his first sleeve leak and I'm sure that damage his typical surgeon ego. I truly feel he holds it against me as he refuses to take ANY blame for my complications. But that's a whoooooole different discussion ;)

I'm not sure I could do the 5:2 diet with my

Hypoglycemia :/ I suppose resleeving or a lap and with a new surgeon would be possible but I'm terrified to go through this again. All the horrors I dealt with from my first go around. I went against the lap band, too because of all the complications and horror stories I've heard plus the fact of living with a big foreign object in me freaks me out. I'm just at a total loss. I don't want to give up, I'm still miserable with my weight. A contributing factor of this surgery was to help my BDD, anxiety, and depression. I went through YEARS of therapy dealing with just this, preparing for the change, having realistic expectations, etc. then alllll this happens. It's turned my brain to mush :P