Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Watched 'Forks over Knives' and 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' this weekend. Feeling confused this morning!

Help!

I feel so confused on the nutritional information I have gotten from my surgical clinic v. the information I learned in these documentaries.

Casein (Protein from animal products) is important, per my surgeon.

According to Forks over Knives, it'll give me cancer!

I'm about 3 weeks out and seriously considering juicing for a month after watching these documentaries. I'm not usually so easily swayed, but maybe I've had my head in the sand about nutrition for too many years and now feel completely confused about the contradictory information I've learned.

Have you seen these documentaries? Do they completely contradict the nutritional advise you've been given for post surgery?

Thoughts? Comments? Help welcome!

I don't know whether to eat my cottage cheese or not!!! Ahhh!

From what I understand about Forks Over Knives, they espouse a really strict vegan lifestyle. So of course they're going to see casein as harmful. Not to disrespect anyone who's vegan, but there's just no way I can eat like that. My surgeon and NUT have no issue with animal products at all and I certainly don't think they will harm me if eaten in moderation.

Then you have the Paleo, Atkins, etc. folks who think low-carb is the only way to go. While I lean more towards eating that way, I believe that "everything in strict moderation" works best for me. I don't think that one way of eating can work for everybody.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

I watched those movies as well as food Inc. I tried the juicing but can not live off of it. Then I went gluten free and vegan for most of 2012. I can tell you I FELT Better and my sinus pain I had been dealing with for over a year with daily medication slowly went away and after 3 months, of being vegan I no longer had to take meds. To this day I have no sinus issues because I cut out dairy significantly. However, even though there are many health benefits from juicing, vegan diet etc, I think we dont have to be so drastic if we just eat clean, including lean meats, fish etc. Eating vegan also meant alot of carbs for me. Lots of rice and Beans lol.

I think like Noor1969.. Everything in moderation, based on eating 3-4 meals a day, 1/2 Cup. My dr says high Protein low carb.. I say protein, carb, fat ..I went on a low carb , high protein diet.. MEDIFASt. Many years ago..Lost it quickly but put back the weight on faster. Their take on high protein is that it will preserve your muscle mass.

Here's how I look at it. I do believe the ideal diet is one that is primarily vegan, organic, unprocessed, with no refined sugar, etc. However, seeing that most of us here are in the "morbidly obese" category preop, I think that the health issues related to our weight override all else. For me, once I'm at my healthy goal weight, then I can focus on "cleaner" eating. Drinking Crystal Light and eating beef Jerky is not the path to optimal health, but until my excess weight is gone, I'll make losing that weight my priority.

On the other hand, you CAN eat a vegan diet postop. It takes more work and creativity than what our WLS doctors' diets, yes. You may find resistance from your surgeon. However, it isn't impossible. If it's important to you right now in your life to make that change, don't let anyone tell you differently.

I'm not sure how accurate that information is. People have been eating meat for thousands of years. You have to do what's best for you.

I am in school to become a RD after my bariatric experience. We watched these movies. They make a great point. However, I personal eat meat. Since my surgery 4/18/12 I find that when I follow my food plan beef has very little appeal for my today. I get most of my Protein from an am shake...I still am not a Breakfast person so I shake. I eat a lot of seafood. I was told not to look at this as a low carb diet. The reality is my carbs now come from different sources. Fresh fruits (15g)/serving vs. 1 slice of bread. Eating much more nutrient dense foods today. I would struggle to eat everything I needed to on a strict vegan diet just because of the quantity that would be required to meet my protein needs. I am old enough to remember the egg being good and bad and now good again.

I felt the same way. The difference is our tummies are small and we need Protein to not lose our Protein. Said in lay men's terms. All our organs, hair, nails, are made of protein. I think a Paleo diet is the way to go and the most satisfying. Ashley Horner....check her out.....fittest woman I've ever seen....she eats a Paleo diet. Veggies have free radicals that it only makes sense to incorporate them into our diet once we are through all the phases of healing. salad with Ahi tuna is a perfect example along with a Olive oil based dressing. :-).

Anything that pushes fear from both sides....it's a turn off for me. I follow my instincts and when I don't....I pay a price. Best wishes!!

About a year ago I heard about juicing and the benefits. Last march I did a juice fast. OMG! I felt amazing, full of energy and my skin looked better than it ever had. I think I will juice after surgery just for the nutritional value.

There is a big gap in western medicine and nutrition -- we are just not there yet but I think it is starting to happen. I say listen to your body. Personally I have been such a restricter in my life and so I am being careful to moderate rather than outlaw. I don't eat foods with artificial ingredients, I buy organic as much as possible, etc. If we are eating so much less, we can afford to get the good stuff, right? And I have loved juice fasting in the past. Unbelievable energy and clarity. I think I will start planning for a fast soon. That sounds like a great idea! We have two juicers in our basement.....

OP here with an update: My partner & I have been juicing daily for about a week and LOVE IT! Our toddler even loves it and I feel good about him having that for his juice!

If you like documentaries, here's another... Check out "the perfect human diet", I would live to know what you all think about it... It promotes a gluten free, sugar free diet. "Paleo"

OP here with an update: My partner & I have been juicing daily for about a week and LOVE IT! Our toddler even loves it and I feel good about him having that for his juice!

My husband juiced last year and lost 35 pounds. He had so much energy zest for life. Our 2 young kids love juicing so much...we do it daily in the warm months.

He actually mentioned juicing again for a while because he put 10 back on.

Help!

I feel so confused on the nutritional information I have gotten from my surgical clinic v. the information I learned in these documentaries.

I'm about 3 weeks out and seriously considering juicing for a month after watching these documentaries. I'm not usually so easily swayed, but maybe I've had my head in the sand about nutrition for too many years and now feel completely confused about the contradictory information I've learned.

Have you seen these documentaries? Do they completely contradict the nutritional advise you've been given for post surgery?

Thoughts? Comments? Help welcome!

I don't know whether to eat my cottage cheese or not!!! Ahhh!

Hello,

I saw all of them plus more. Doctors do not have very many hours of nutrition classes. I asked if I could be a vegetarian after surgery and he said no I needed animal protien. He said veg. are starchy. He also stated vegetarians have problems with deficiency. My nutritionist is vegan. I believe we are in a special class because isn't easy to get everything we need into our bodies. I decided no milk, soy, corn, gluten, sugar. meat will be hard because of protien. I have read omni diet and jj virgin's book but then again we trying to get high protien in and I have found this to be almost impossible. Iam one month out and down 38 lbs. Please let me know how you have come to a solution.

Hello,

I saw all of them plus more. Doctors do not have very many hours of nutrition classes. I asked if I could be a vegetarian after surgery and he said no I needed animal protien. He said veg. are starchy. He also stated vegetarians have problems with deficiency. My nutritionist is vegan. I believe we are in a special class because isn't easy to get everything we need into our bodies. I decided no milk, soy, corn, gluten, sugar. meat will be hard because of protien. I have read omni diet and jj virgin's book but then again we trying to get high protien in and I have found this to be almost impossible. Iam one month out and down 38 lbs. Please let me know how you have come to a solution.

Keep doing the Protein shakes. I get about 1/3 of my Protein from just the powder. I do add it to milk to give me 1/2. They are right it is far harder to meet protein requirements as well as other nutritional needs post suegery especially as a vegan. Good luck.