Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is Starting to Feel Real-PreSurgery Jitters?

Hey y'all (yep I'm from Texas),

I am a newbie. Just signed up with the forum and I am in the pre-approval stage. I will meet with my surgeon for the first time next week and man am I starting to get nervous. This week has been rough. I keep asking myself "what the heck are you doing?" But I know this has to be done. I haven't even been formally approved yet. Has anyone else out there had the pre-surgery jitters?

Welcome Wigster! I think most people have some degree of jitters, but different people handle it in different ways. It took me 3 months after attending a seminar to decide if I even wanted to make an appointment with the surgeon. I used that time to research my options and to decide what was right for me. I also took 9 months from the first visit to the surgery so that by the time of my surgery I was certain this was the best choice for me. Once my insurance approved me, I immediately scheduled the surgery. That was the first day of the rest of my life and I do not regret it at all.

Hi Mooncat,

Thanks for the reply. I have been researching and thinking about surgery for years. Once I made up my mind I jumped in with both feet. I have already had two visits with the dietitian and nurse practitioner and have been on a diet for two months. The surgeons require a 10% pre-op weight loss. Of course I started mine right at the holidays and that was miserable. While I didn't gain weight over the holidays the weight loss was minimal. They gave me diet drugs to help me with the second month and that helped. I am now at about 6% so I am hoping that the surgeon will be pleased with my progress. I really don't know what to expect at this visit. My insurance only requires a 5% weight loss so I don't know if he will schedule the surgery or not. I am researching Protein shakes right now. Trying to nail one down pre-op so I am set up before the surgery. This is what is causing me the most anxiety. I am very picky about drinking stuff like that. Its purely psychological and I know I will have to get past it. I am keeping my focus on the prize...the good things to come....the way I will feel after the weight comes off. It will be worth it.

Wigster,

If my surgeon required a certain amount of weight lost before surgery, I never knew it. Ten percent seems tough. I was actually afraid my insurance was going to say I did not weigh enough to qualify (plus I had gained my weight quickly, so I did not have a 2 year history at a sufficient BMI), so I actually added weight during 2013. However, once approved I went on a liquid Protein diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery and lost 15lbs.

Great idea to find a Protein Drink you like BEFORE surgery. If you like the thicker milkshake style, I use skim milk, ISO-100 chocolate powder (25g Protein per scoop), 1/2 teaspoon special dark chocolate cocoa and 1/3 of a banana. If you like a flavored Water type of drink I found the Isopure ready-to-drink (40g protein) were tolerable, but they are expensive (over $4 each). They come in 10 or more flavors. My NUT requires only 100% whey protein, and both of these are. I also drink the Oh Yeah chocolate shake in a ready-to-drink bottle. Personally, I hated their other flavors. My husband tried them too and we poured them out. I tried nectar mixed with Water, but did not care for it. What ones have you tried?

Mooncat,

I haven't tried any of the Protein drinks yet. I went out this afternoon and bought a couple of the ready-to-drink varieties to try...Atkins and Muscle Milk. I'll let you know how it goes. I didn't want to get stuck with a whole can of the powder if I didn't like them. I'll start there and work my way around the list. I am aiming for the ones that had the highest Protein content so I would have to drink as few a day as possible. I also went out and bought my Vitamins to get started. The B12, Calcium and multi-Vitamin. I got the Viactiv Chews, the are pretty good actually, the B12 are little disolvables that go under the tongue (no problem there) and the chewable Flinstones. I think I can handle those. So much to take in but I will take it one day at a time. Thanks for your reply. It helps to have someone that has been there.

Hey there! I think at some point we all have. I haven't been sleeved yet but March I will be. There are times I can't sleep from being so excited then there are times I feel scared out if my mind for several reasons. This is a huge deal and is a life changing event so I think the nervous jitters are very normal. Welcome to the boards you will find tons of info and support here.

Hi- I'm also in pre-op stage and trying to mentally prepare for the changes to come. Hope to meet with my doctor in the next few weeks. Some mornings I wake up and freak out at the extreme ness of this decision. But, I've really come to believe I need this help. Hope to hear from you all often.

Hi- don't have a date yet. Waiting on paperwork from evaluations. Should know this week.

I'm in the same waiting mode. I'll get a date after I get my pre-op appt in March. Until then I have a few more tests to do and to lose 10% of my excess weight. For those of you with requirements like this - check in with your doc's office to see if it's 10% of your whole weight or of your excess weight. Big difference in that - like double for me. I'm hoping for a May surgery date - that's what they told me to expect.

Also I've tried EASE vanilla and that's a pretty good one, also I've tried Muscle Milk Light in both chocolate and vanilla and bot were quite tolerable. They won't replace my favorite latte - but not unpleasant, and I like that they're available a lot of places and I don't have to order them and wait. I guess i'll get busy and order a few though - in case they're that much better.

I've been drinking Shakeology. The vanilla and chocolate are my favorites. I'll keep you posted as to my date.

Pre-Surgery jitters are totally normal. Even though this is the best thing for our lives, it's still MAJOR surgery. I'd worry if I weren't a little nervous. But I'm excited too. Can't wait.

P.S. I'm going to try the Shakeology, never heard of them.

Wigster-

Texas gal here as well! I have been using the Muscle Milk Light and it is pretty decent. Not sure about the other brands because I am also very picky about that stuff. Sending good vibes your way-the waiting makes the jitters stronger (at least for me). Good luck hun!

I tried two of the muscle milk flavors (choc & vanilla) and both made me nausiated for an hour after. Something in them didn't agree. But I am loving the AES carb control ready to drink in chocolate fudge. Available at grocery stores and target, walgreen's etc.

Just ordered the Chicke Protein coffee mix, have high hopes for it but we shall see.

ETA: I went through the constant obsession/sleepless period a couple months ago. Now I am just kind of waiting until it's time to submit to insurance and have calmed down a bit. I still have 2 more nut appts (1 this week).

Edited by woo woo

I can relate to the obsessive sleepless nights. I confided in two close friends that believe more in holistic approaches. Both reacted negatively and indicated there were other less extreme measures I could take. Also mentioned it

Wouldn't fix the problem, emotional eating. Ugh! I think I'm really ready and then someone's doubt can pull me right out of it. Anyone experience this?