Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many pounds did you have to lose before folks started to comment?

What was your experience like? Post surgery I started to see real changes in my face and figure after I had lost about 30 pounds. Alas, no one else seemed to see the change. I am no down 63 pounds and just back to work after a holiday. Seems that everyone now can see a difference. A coworker just remarked to me that one needs to lose ~20% of one's body weight before others will notice. Was this true for you?

It took me easily 50 pounds before I got even a, "Are you losing weight?" It was a little discouraging but when it started it was like bam, everyone noticed. I would say around 65 to 75 pounds it was constant for a while. I would say it was about seven months out. Now I have lost a total of 136 pounds and I still get an occasional compliment but it's settled down. (Thank God!) LOL

But it definitely takes a while. Enjoy the journey!

Edited by suejersey

As of yesterday I am down 45 pounds total (28 since surgery) and have not gotten one comment about my weight - not even my brothers or sisters-in-law at Christmas time!!!!

One acquaintance made a comment about me doing my hair different - I've had the same cut for a couple of years now - she may have noticed something different, but can't pinpoint it.

It took me easily 50 pounds before I got even a, "Are you losing weight?" It was a little discouraging but when it started it was like bam, everyone noticed. I would say around 65 to 75 pounds it was constant for a while.

My experience to a T! I'm starting to get a little embarrassed by it though :/

It took 80# before my relatives noticed anything. I mean, really?

I am right there with you, Fiddle! My mother still hasn't said a word. You look great in your photo, BTW.

I was just discussing this on another thread and it was almost exactly 20% for me which would put me around the 45 pound mark. At 30 pounds my sister said "have you lost some weight" but it wasn't until around 50 pounds before people really began noticing. There are some people (usually those who are jealous) who will never mention it.

It took about 50 pounds for me. Anything less than that was like tossing a deck chair off the Titanic.

It took about 50 pounds for me. Anything less than that was like tossing a deck chair off the Titanic.

LOL'ing for real at this :)

No one other than my wife, son, and mother noticed until I had lost close to 60lbs.

It was the 45 lb mark for me to even notice much of a body/clothing difference.

But let me tell you do not let other peoples comments or lack of discourage you. I have lost 110 lbs and by all means 1/2 the person I was and I do not look like the same girl and there are some people who never say anything, even after not even knowing I was doing this ( like clients who buy homes from me and se me 1 or 2 times a year).

I had a client say I don't want to offend you but did you lose weight? I laughed and said yes and its ok to say something, because they said they didn't want to say something and have a negative or schocked responce from me.

So people may think something but not say something in fear that they are wrong or you are embarrassed about it.

Im down 29 lbs from surgery...just returned to work this week...everyone noticed...i went from a size 20 to a size 16....but im 5'8....

Shelby