Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Docs, nurses, lab rats?

Some of my blood work from my annual physical came back abnormal. Specifically, my SED Rate and CRP are elevated. These are very non-specific tests, as far as any definite diagnosis, but basically they mean I have some kind of infection going on at the cellular level, yes? Could be nothing.....could be the worst news I have ever had (cancer, for example), or could be anything in between. But could it be the band?

I have had aspiration pneumonia in the past and take Nexium regularly, to prevent GERD.

My PCP is going to re-run the labs. Assuming they are still elevated, would you suggest I have my band checked before looking elsewhere for an explanation?

Carlene,

I'm not a doctor or lab rat, but just want to wish you the best!

You are right, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-Reactive Protein) are VERY non-specific tests. Basically, they determine whether there is inflammation anywhere...hs-CRP is also a very non-specific indicator of possible CE's, but it's not used much because of the lack of reliability. Oh, and some forms of birth control can actually make a CRP positive, IIRC.

The chance of you having cancer, something autoimmune or something major like that is very low, but I don't have your family history in front of me, so I can't tell you for sure. Would some inflammation around the area of your band cause that? I suppose it's conceivable, but I'm not 100%.

I'm hoping the best for you, though! Keep us updated! Do you have the exact figures from your test, by the way?

You are right, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-Reactive Protein) are VERY non-specific tests. Basically, they determine whether there is inflammation anywhere...hs-CRP is also a very non-specific indicator of possible CE's, but it's not used much because of the lack of reliability. Oh, and some forms of birth control can actually make a CRP positive, IIRC.

The chance of you having cancer, something autoimmune or something major like that is very low, but I don't have your family history in front of me, so I can't tell you for sure. Would some inflammation around the area of your band cause that? I suppose it's conceivable, but I'm not 100%.

I'm hoping the best for you, though! Keep us updated! Do you have the exact figures from your test, by the way?

I forgot to write down the SED Rate, but my CRP was 5.46.

I wasn't thinking of irritation from the band itself; I was thinking issues with reflux/aspiration. Could that create an underlying infection?

When the nurse called, she asked me if I had a family history of autoimmune disorders. I don't. No heart disease or cancer, either.

It's not related to BC. I had my uterus removed about 25 years ago.

Could reflux or aspiration, themselves, create an underlying infection?

I highly doubt it. It would be more likely to cause some sort of erosion or an peptic (stomach or esophagus, primarily) ulcer than anything else.

If your PCP thought it was an infection, he would probably order a CBC and a blood culture. Both are good tests to run to determine whether there's an infection.

I'm not a professional but I had an elevated CRP test come back a few years ago and I remember my doctor saying that it was likely because of my neck and back injuries. I suffer alot of chronic pain from injuries I had years ago to my spine and soft tissue. If there is swelling in the body anywhere from any reasons - it will show up on the CRP test.

Yes, you could have some elevation related to inflammation of the GI system. MANY conditions such as arthritis, lupus, etc., can cause an elevated SED rate and that's why this test is never looked at in isolation. If your CBC is OK and everything else is fine, it's not a cause for real concern and your MD may just want to monitor your blood work.

Cancer would be screened for by a CEA and not a SED rate. Don't worry!