Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have Heathnet PPO and everything was mailed over to them today so I'm anxiously awaiting. I'm a band to sleeve patient and my Dr said meds need to be crushed for the first 6 weeks. How do all you take Prilosec??

you may not need it after surgery...but why wouldn't you just crush it up in to a drink? (tho I think I did have to take something after the surgery for a few weeks)

I didn't use that stuff, but my regular meds went down fine after surgery...but they are both small... don't know if that matters

Edited by BigGirlPanties

Mine are in capsules, but I was able to take pills with about a half ounce of Water after the surgery. I know each doctor does it differently. I'm okay taking pills (I take 2 each morning and 4 each evening), but I need to have one, then maybe a half hour later have another one... bleh.

Well my doc Said to dc my nexium but then the nurse asked again for clarification n he said ok u can take it, just open capsule n put in drink or Jello. I jello shot it today, went down fine but I wished I didn't have too. I may not tomorrow bc he said I wudn Need after surgery...12/30/13.

I have been able to swallow my meds, too. I just don't try to take them all at one time. I spread them out all day so that I don't have to drink a lot of Water at the same time.

Well my doc Said to dc my nexium but then the nurse asked again for clarification n he said ok u can take it, just open capsule n put in drink or Jello. I jello shot it today, went down fine but I wished I didn't have too. I may not tomorrow bc he said I wudn Need after surgery...12/30/13.

Even though I did not have frequent reflux before surgery, my doc put me (and likely all his patients)!on 40 mb of omeprazole daily for at least 3 months. Not a hint of acid issues so far at 4 weeks out.

I don't take them now, I just figured every doctor gave it for a while after surgery

Husband and I are both on Omeprazole (Prilosec) and instructed to empty capsule into tsp unsweetened applesauce daily. No chewing, no swallowing the capsule.

My surgeon was/is concerned not just about meds being absorbed well, but also about the pill/capsule getting stuck in the suture line. It is is bumpy (not a smooth line), especially in the first weeks after surgery. If a med does get stuck there, it could cause erosion.

I have been taking Prilosec for years, and my surgeon said to keep taking it post op. I understand GERD / reflux are common problems for sleevers, so I just keep taking it. I mentioned to my surgeon at one post op visit that I had been tempted to try not taking it, and he just shook his head ... so I'm still taking it. But he did repair a hiatal hernia while he was in there, so I hope to be off the Prilosec some day

It may be just me but my husband and I both had hiatal hernias, and so do a lot of others it seems. I will take whatever meds are needed to be healthy. I think the Prilosec works well. I occasionally feel acidic in my throat but it passes quickly and is not a problem.

We are swallowing many pills without a problem. I was able to find an awesome liquid Gold Multivitamin thank goodness. Good luck!

I never had reflux before surgery...my surgeon has all his patients take nexium for exactly 3 months after surgery. For the first month I opened the capsule onto my tongue and swallowed with some Water -- it was pretty easy.

After that, when the surgeon cleared me for taking pills, I just took the capsule whole, no problem. I stopped the nexium as instructed after the three months and holy hell I had some serious acid reflux! It sucked! I checked with the surgeon and he said everyone is different, some people never have a problem, some do forever, or it may or may not get better over time. I'm now a bit over 7 months out and take an OTC (zantac) as needed. I do seem to be needing it less and less, currently about 3 or 4 times a week. Hoping the whole reflux thing will become a distant memory in the coming months!