Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Popcorn dangerous after WLS?

Hi, y'all!

I've read on other sites folks saying that popcorn can be very dangerous to WLS patients due to the kernels that we all LOVE to get stuck between our teeth and that they can get stuck in our incision sites. Is that true? If so, how longer after sleeving can we indulge, even slightly?

Haven't gone to a movie theater since my sleeve (10/16) and it's honestly not the same without at least a (very) little popcorn. Course, back in BS (Before Sleeve lol) days I could eat a medium popcorn by myself...lol...but a kid size would be probably way more than enough now, even with seriously mastication. :P But nothing is worth messing with the sleeve. Interestingly, I also heard from the medical staff where I work that popcorn is the leading trigger for appendicitis... :wacko:

SIDE NOTE: 1.6 lbs to WONDERLAND! ;)

Happy Hump Day!

Wendy

Incision sites are on your skin, so not sure how popcorn kernels could get stuck in them unless you rubbed them in or something? I think you mean the stomach seam. I would wait on the popcorn at least a month or so post-op. Once you're healed up and able to eat things like nuts, which are also harder to digest, you should be able to handle popcorn. For me popcorn is a slider food. I could eat a whole lot of it without realizing it. Snacking is a slippery slope post-op. Gotta be careful and mindful of it so you can continue the weight loss and don't sabotage yourself in maintenance.

Edit: I don't know who told you popcorn is the leading cause of appendicitis, but you can be sure they are not a knowledgeable medical professional as that's totally untrue. Very unlikely and uncommon that an errant kernel would cause a blockage. Most of the time it's an infection or a stool issue.

Edited by BKLYNgal87

It is definitely a slider for me....I stay clear as much as possible...Before on other diets it was recommended to eat it because of the low calories if plain and the crunch and Fiber..Now I can eat 3 cups full without blinking.....So I only have it on occasion okay 3 times since my surgery...

I love it more now then I did before...but it is a no no for me...

Now theater popcorn..that stuff will kill you...Have you looked on the web for the ingredients in the butter in that..It isn't real....it is pure chemicals...just wondered if you knew that..... :(

When I was brave enough to try popcorn I tried a small amount at the theater and had no problems probably around six months out. With that being said I wish I had not tried it because it is a slider for me also and one of the foods I could eat a whole bag of before surgery and I found that I was then buying microwave pour over butter at home. Something to be very conscious of is mastication and also the mental stipulations you put on when and how much you can have it. Good luck to you.

Def a slider (but not the WORST thing you can eat.) I'd say to measure it for sure if you REALLY wanted it. I've heard this about bypass but never the sleeve.

Edited by Mrs.RRn

popcorn - it is just not worth the empty calories and is too much of a slider food. I did have some popcorn at around 6 months out (a small at the theatre) and found it was way too easy to eat. If you are looking for something crunchy that will also benefit you, try some Fiber one. It has a high percentage of daily fiber for 1/2 cup and is relatively low in calories.

Am so glad I asked! Definitely meant the stomach seam not the incision sites. Was before I finished my first cup of coffee. ;) Know about it being one of those foods that y'all would put in the "slider" category and honestly, even before the sleeve I stopped eating movie theater popcorn that didn't have REAL butter on it. Alternative was to bring some Kernel Seasons dry seasoning and get the popcorn plain. My favorite crunch since the sleeve would probably be dehydrated veggies. The kind you can get in the bulk food section of most higher-end grocery stores. They tend to be expensive but it's not like I'd eat much at a sitting anymore. lol But most days, a couple Triscuits or Wheat Thins do the trick. B)

What about hulle-less popcorn you can buy in a bag at the grocery store? Measure out a serving and put it in ziplock to put in your purse. Then go to the theater. You are controlling your carb count and being careful of your sleeve seam.

Am so glad I asked! Definitely meant the stomach seam not the incision sites. Was before I finished my first cup of coffee. ;) Know about it being one of those foods that y'all would put in the "slider" category and honestly, even before the sleeve I stopped eating movie theater popcorn that didn't have REAL butter on it. Alternative was to bring some Kernel Seasons dry seasoning and get the popcorn plain. My favorite crunch since the sleeve would probably be dehydrated veggies. The kind you can get in the bulk food section of most higher-end grocery stores. They tend to be expensive but it's not like I'd eat much at a sitting anymore. lol But most days, a couple Triscuits or Wheat Thins do the trick. B)

Hi FieryRed, I love your question because I too was wondering about popcorn just the other night. When I went to my nutrition class (pre-sleeve) they mentioned not being able to eat popcorn (because the kernel could get stuck in your stomach incisions) and its a slider food, BUT I plan on revisiting that question with my doctor down the line. Popcorn has always been my cheat snack....love it. Have you ever tried Skinny Pop? They sell it at costco, 39 calories per cup, Zero trans fat, cholesterol free, no GMO' s. I ate it before I was sleeved. But since I am only a week out it's a no-no for me. I have a feeling Skinny Pop and I will be reunited soon. Everyone has their "snack". It could be worse right!?! Hang on fellow popper!! B)

It's on the slider list I got from my nut. Haven't had yet because I'm still purée for 2 more weeks but nice to know I can have a little while cuddling up with movie with the hubby if I want to.

I LOVE popcorn before and after the surgery but I only eat a cup of it and I make sure I measure it out because if I don't I will eat a whole huge bowl of it. I do as well consider it a slider food as well, and when I do eat popcorn it is not that often most likely once a month or not at all. My whole family are popcorn eaters, so its hard going home and having my dad make our favorite snack and try not to eat it. I have an air popper that I have home and don't put butter on it just some salt and call it good.