Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sosoiso

sorry i messed this post up, so i had my band/ revision to a sleeve on dec 31st. i had bad sleep apneawhile i had the band. about 4 days after surgery i realized my snoring has stopped, husband hasnt heard me snore either, and im actually dreaming again. i think my band was actually causing the sleep apnea.

anybody have any thoughts on this? the doctor said my band had not slipped and was in the write postion?

That's wonderful! sleep apnea is the worse. You dont even realize how sleep deprived you are until you finally get a good night's rest. I've never heard of a band causing it, but i am a sleever, so i'm by no means an expert. i'm just glad it was able to be corrected. My bff has a band, and she has never complained of it causing her sleep apnea or anything issues with sleeping. I'm not sure how it could to be honest.

My husband has severe obstructive and I have mild, so i understand your pain. well, regardless of what caused it, i'm glad you're doing better!

Edited by Comfy_Blue

Wow. That is so interesting. Unfortunately my sleep apnea is due both to my excessive weight and mouth obstruction. I am being fitted for a mouthpiece to take care of the obstructive part of my apnea at a dental office.

well i was making snorting noises while i was awake and just felt like something was blocking my airway when i moved certain ways. i did not snore like that before the band except while i was pregnant? i think the band was pushing on things and causung this??

im glad you got rid of the band... My surgein was the chief surgen in lowell ma and he wont even do the band anymore. if you do investigation on it it fails 60% of the time within 5 years and has to be removed!! Your stomach enzymes eat it!! Yuck! anyways i am happy for u! My sleep apnea is now gone. Yet ive lost 180lbs in 9 months. im about 20lbs from goal weight of 215. No more medications.. nothing! Time to live!

"if you do investigation on it it fails 60% of the time within 5 years and has to be removed!! "

60% failure rate? I'd like to see those stats Christian? So not true. Please try to keep to the facts?

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

I was sleeved on 12/9 and I have been having a hard time using my cpap (waking in the night with severe dry mouth and throat) and have been sleeping fine without it...I have to make an appointment to see if I still need it.

I was sleeved on 11-25-2013 and now my wife tells me that when I fall asleep and forget to wear my mask, I am not snoring anymore. I am now down 80 lbs ( pre and post) I still use CPAP but, I to am wondering if soon I will need to.

Your sleep apnea will resolve with weight loss, not with removal of the band. My pulmonologist told me that many people have sleep apnea and are not aware. He also reported that in women, if your neck is 17" in diameter or greater, and in men, 18" or greater, you have an 80% likelihood of having sleep apnea. I was advised that once I was sleeved and lost significant weight, my sleep studies would be repeated. Please don't stop using your c-pap without seeing a Dr. first. It is the silent killer.

Seriously.

1st,i never said mysleep apnea was gone, i said my snoring had stopped. i could not or should i say would not tolerate that cpap, which is why i chose to have the band to sleeve revision

2nd, i am not knocking the band, everytime i got even the smallest fill my stomach would swell shut to the poing that i couldng even swallow my own saliva, i worked with it for 10years, it was useless to me, and when my insurance said they would pay to.remove it and a revision, i jumped on it. thr band just wasnt for me.

3rd. i went for my one week follow up and gold my surgeon how my snoring had stopped already and he said it typically gets better with weight loss but its most likely be ause i had a lot of scar tissue and adhesions caused from the band that was probably putting pressure on my body, like i said sometimes if i moved a certain way i would catch myself making snorting, snoring like noises while i was awake and moving around, not even in bed. so yes my situation was most likely indirectly caused by the band, if i didnt have the band i would not nave had all thst scar tissue and adhesions. For me personally i feel it was a good thing i had the band removed.

sorry for all the poor spelling, apparently my fingers are still too chubby for my touch screen, lol but thats all about to change woot woot!

i know several people that have the band and have had alot of problems with it, thats not to say that there are not people who have had success with it, im sure there are many and i just dont know them personally