Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-inflicted Hip bursitis

I think I accidentally gave my self bursitis of the left hip yesterday.

I rolled on it hard with my lacrosse ball yesterday mashing it, thinking it was a tight muscle. This was before my workout yesterday and the only thing I noticed at the time is the location changed (if that makes sense). By evening, I had some really uncomfortable pain there on my left hip. Still same level of pain now mid day. It is not a blocker - still able to do most things - but, it is fairly uncomfortable, I've lost mobility in the hip and I have a sneaking suspicion I broke something about about the bursa sack, just do not have an concrete details ( perhaps broke it away muscle).

Here is some medical info (nice chart showing location):

http://www.medicinenet.com/hip_bursitis/article.htm

Should I just ice it? Do you think it will fix itself? Any need to be concerned about infection or inflammation?

Thanks for any answers or insight.

Fiddle,

I am currently in physical therapy for right hip pain. Saw the doctor for the first time in February 2013 had therapy and got a cortisone shot.. Diagnosis was trochantor bursitis. Got better but still felt some restriction in mobility. Got really bad again and last Thursday got another shot and started another round of physical therapy. Doctor said my hip socket is deep, has arthritis and the labrum is starting to calcify.

One thing that helps me is to make sure my hips are in alignment. Even if one side is out by a 1/4" it can be painful. Not sure if my symptoms and problem are the same, but is sounds similar to me.

I have had terrible hip pain since I was a teenager, my favorite hip opener in Xfit is to take the huge rubber band, loop it around a pole then step into it. bring the band up high, deep inside the hip crease then stand as far away as you can, pulling the tension as taut as possible, the lean forward so that the band is supporting all of your weight, driving into the socket. Hurts like a mutha, but nothing else opens my hip up like that.

Sounds like your hip and my left foot are in cahoots, this is just what happened to my foot this week. I have no idea if it is plantar f. or a torn arch or what. I'm currently rolling it out on a tennis ball. As for you and icing, you are only supposed to do ice/heat in the first 24 hours, after that you can damage yourself.

I would put some ice on it and you have no relief in a couple of days I would go the doc and get it checked out.

On the subject of hip pain, whenever I sit on the couch in my favorite comfy position (legs bent and feet up on the couch to my left)my hip will often get stuck and I am in extreme pain and usually need help hobbling around until my hip unsticks itself, if that makes sense. No idea what causes it but it sure does hurt.

Globe - thanks for your advice. You are right, I do not think I do enough band stretching specially for opening up hips. However, I think this injury is not related to opening up hips. It is related to incorrectly mashing my left hip bursa sack. Fortunately, it is starting to feel better today. I have a lot of sprinting, wall balls and dead lifts to do today (later this afternoon) so do not need my hips holding me back.

Edited by Fiddleman

My understanding is as long as there is inflammation ice and heat can be beneficial. The first 24 hours it should be ice to reduce initial onset inflammation. After that it should just be heat to improve circulation and healing. Now if you go out and aggravate it with too much exercise like I know you're gonna do, go back to the ice again for a few hours to prevent further inflammation.

I had it before and it hurts so bad ! I hope you feel better soon!

A little tender today, but definitely manageable during my workout.