Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coming to terms with self pay.

I am self pay hoping to have surgery in February if all goes well with financing. My insurance has the dreaded exclusion. I keep having the same argument with myself daily that I should be able todo this on my own and that 16 thousand dollars is a lot of money to pay out of pocket. I am in constant debate with this decision. If my insurance covered it...it would be a no brainer to absolutely have wls. I need the surgery I am a 38 year old mother of 3 fantastic boys and what to be around for a very long time. As I am already starting to have high cholesterol and I know many more thing to follow if I don't get this weight off (286 lbs). Please help put this in perspective for me.

That is a lot of money to pay outta pocket but before you do, Check out some of the top surgeons in Mexico. I know about 8 people who've went what I call is "the easy way", you wont have all the hoops to jump thru as my insurance company will give you. Your cost is about $10,000 cheaper and the results are the same..my girls actually look great!!

Some frown at the thought but they are real doctors and do maybe more surgeries than the doctors in our neighborhoods. Just options but your should research the "other" doctors....

Good luck!!

Edited by MsKeeKee01

I'm a 43 year old mother and wife, daughter, sister, aunt and friend. Although I would like to say the unselfish thing and say "I did it for all those people around me that love me." I didn't. I was selfish and did it for myself - I want to be around longer. I want to see my son become a man. I want to see him get married and have kids. I want to grow old with my husband. Those are all for me!!!!!

I have not been an active participant in life for about 10 years - I tired easily and wanted to nap on a daily basis. I got sick all the time, so I was expected to just sit on the couch and do nothing. I had no expectations - not even to shower or get dressed every day. That life sucked. I owed it to my family to do better, but more importantly, I owed it to myself.

Did I feel guilty that I was taking $11K out of my family's pockets to pay for the surgery? Of course, that's a lot of money. (I still cringe a little when I write that figure.) I can guarantee you, I wasn't going to lose the weight without the surgery and I wasn't going to get any healthier.

Only you know if this surgery is right for you. It was absolutely the right thing for me to do, even self-pay.

I went to Mexico on 12/16, had my surgery with Ariel Ortiz at Obesity Control Center. With confidence I can say I received better care there than I have received here in the states. There are some reputable surgeons in Mexico, pricing ranges from $4,500 up to $9,000, depending on the surgeon. I know there is a doctor in Las Vegas - Dr. Umbaugh. I've heard good things about him and I think his price is around $11 - $12K.

Like you, I had an exclusion in my insurance. I had two children under 10. My doctor was wanting to put me on meds for cholesterol, blood pressure and type II diabetes. I told him to give me 6 months to straighten this out. 6 months later, my tests were the same. I told him that I was going to have WLS and he agreed to wait and see.

One month post op, all my levels were excellent. That was 2 and a half years ago and I am happy to report my levels are all still excellent. I feel great and think I look pretty great, too.

I battled my brain for a long time, too, before I finally had to admit that I needed help. My demons were stronger than I and went ahead and had VSG surgery with Dr Umbach in Las Vegas (Baby!) for $10,400. It was outpatient, which I prefer.

Good luck with your decision. Keep reading and searching your soul. The answer will come.

I totally understand how you feel. My insurance has the exclusion as well. My only option was self pay or stay fat and un healthy. I was heavy all while my boys were growing up. All of my teen and adult life actually. My surgery was $12,200 sell pay price. That is a lot of money. I had wanted to do it for so long but took me awhile to bring it up with my husband. To spend that kind of money on myself is just something i was uncomfortable doing.

I did finally bring it up with my husband and he was so supportive. I shutter to think how much I have spent on diets over the years. I'm sure much more than I paid for the surgery. Fast forward, I had my surgery on March 6th, 2013. The best health decision I have ever made! I am healthy almost a not even overweight BMI! My blood pressure is normal, all my bloodwork is normal. Everything.

I only wish I could have done this at your age. I promise you that if you be just a bit selfish now with this you will have so much more to give your family later. You will be giving them a happy, healthy mom, wife and person. It will be the best health decision you could ever make

Best money I have spent. My husband can not believe the change in me. He tells me how glad he is that I did this for me. He loves me as I am and always has. He is tickled that I am so happy and successful for me.

A bargain at twice the price!

Go for it!

I am self pay hoping to have surgery in February if all goes well with financing. My insurance has the dreaded exclusion. I keep having the same argument with myself daily that I should be able todo this on my own and that 16 thousand dollars is a lot of money to pay out of pocket. I am in constant debate with this decision. If my insurance covered it...it would be a no brainer to absolutely have wls. I need the surgery I am a 38 year old mother of 3 fantastic boys and what to be around for a very long time. As I am already starting to have high cholesterol and I know many more thing to follow if I don't get this weight off (286 lbs). Please help put this in perspective for me.

I too was a self pay and before the surgery I was feeling incredibly selfish spending the money on myself. Hindsight tells me it was the best thing I could ever do for myself! My husband is incredibly happy and I am a new person. Truly my only regret is that I didn't do it when I was younger when my children were younger. DO IT!! :) My surgery was done in Boca Raton, FL and I paid $10,500 all inclusive with 2 1/2 days in the hospital, testing and 1 year of follow up with my surgeon. I know of several people who have flown in and had the surgery with Dr. Shillingford. You might consider this to save a lot of money. He really is a great surgeon!!