Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Post-op nightmares about food

Hey all, so I am now 3 weeks out from surgery and everything has been going well except for this one thing. I have been experiencing bad dreams and nightmares about food. I've had 3 different dreams on 3 different nights. It's actually starting to effect me though. I don't want to eat now because I'm worried about my stomach. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this happen?

I've had no issues tolerating food as my diet advanced, no puking or dumping. Idk what is happening.

Congratulations on your surgery :D On December 2nd I had laparoscopic roux en y surgery. I have followed all of the instructions and have not had any problems with the food I am able to have at each post-op stage. Unfortunately there are some negative posts about patients with problems, however, I think you will find that the pros far outweigh the cons. I have two close friends who were sleeved around the same date as my surgery and we are enjoying sharing ideas and "recipes", again without problems. I too had a fear of eating beyond the liquid stage because of the chance of dumping but, if we eat what is allowed and remember to eat SLOWLY and not too much I think you will find that the outcome will be good. The three of us are excited to reach each new stage and none of us are afraid of dumping or getting sick because we are eating small and slow. Best wishes for your success with one of the most important decisions you'll make in your life.

Edited by Kay P

I had a dream that I accidentally drank some pepsi. Talk about a nightmare. I refuse to test the boundaries of my tolerances for sugar and fat. I have had dumping twice in one week, that scared me and for the next week I hardly ate anything. I started getting weak and dizzy. Fast forward to now, I eat around 1,000 calories. I haven't had dumping since then. I eat clean and try to meet my daily goal of 100 grams of Protein. Best of luck to you!!

That sounds like exactly what happened to me. I accidentally ate corn on the cob, Oreos and French fries in my dream. I'm not pushing boundaries or anything, but I'm still struggling with eating enough calories and Protein every day.

I guess a dream is ok, but junk food, McDonalds and other orally consumed garbage is what brought us to the realization that we couldn't continue our lives this way. Since my surgery I have lost my addiction to eating. I don't crave anything. I tend to get up late, around 10am and sometimes I am so "un-hungry" that I forget to eat anything until 2 hours later. Nowadays I am utterly grossed out when I walk in a supermarket and see all the junk food and chemical poison that run of the mill Americans are buying. Same thing with Puke-Donalds. I took my kids there only once since I had surgery (3 months ago). I had a few McNuggets after I took a knife to scrape off the deep fried breading. Just for curiosity I ate ONE french fry. I can do without that garbage and I have been known to show no interest in donuts or cupcakes placed around me by other family members. That garbage had me on my way to an early an unpleasant death. If I could have my dream, I'd be the hangman on the biggest gallows in the world, slipping the rope around the necks of these fast food barons and profiteers who make money off of creating obesity and ruining people's lives. I believe that with capitalism and private ownership of industry comes social responsibility. Just as we wouldn't tolerate companies that INTENTIONALLY make unsafe ladders or unsafe cars, why do we tolerate with those companies which provide us unsafe food? Food should be safe and nutritious not designed to maim or kill you when consumed according to "serving suggestion." Am I suggesting some sort of conspiracy? Perhaps. One thing I know is that if you die before the age of 65 the government keeps all the money you paid into social security and your family gets none. In the 90s there was a story about tobacco executives (Phillip Morris, if I recall) meeting with the govt of the Czech republic. For once the tobacco death profiteers were honest. They told the Czechs that if they would liberalize the sale of tobacco that this govt would need to pay out less in old age pensions.

Edited by johnking