Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass rny long term

How on earth did you lose your regain? I have been trying for years and it is so depressing. I am now heavier than I have been in a long time:(

I acted like I had just had the surgery done. I went back to those post op eating habits and exercised. Counted my calories. Nothing white, no alcohol. 100 grams of Protein a day. Carried a pedometer and walked at least 10,000 steps a day.

1. How are you feeling after all these years?

Let's see...I had my surgery in March of 2004 and I'm feeling pretty good day to day. *smiles* Still can't eat more than 3-4oz at a time, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to do that going in. I do miss salads though.

2. Have you any regrets about having this done?

None whatsoever. I would have it done again in a minute. I was at 365 lbs, had already had more than one knee reconstruction and was looking at having a back surgery(which was necessary later on anyway). I have diabetes on both sides of my family, hbp, heart problems, though I didn't have these problems it was just a matter of time. It was not looking good for me. Surgery was definitely the way to go.

3. Has the surgery and lack of nutrients affected your bones or health negatively long term?

I have had several health issues since my surgery, that being said; they were not directly caused by the surgery. Within the first three years after my bypass I had already had another 5 surgeries to fix various problems with joint issues, my PCOS(I'll get to that), gall bladder(still had mine), and my back that had been injured in a car accident and was so bad that I couldn't even walk to the bathroom without help. That was AFTER surgery and AFTER I had lost over 100 lbs.

That being said, I haven't really had any negative effects directly related to the surgery from lack of nutrients etc. I have to keep up on my supplimentation in order to remain free from the problems of anemia both Iron and B-12(shots once a month). I have learned the folly of taking Calcium carbonate(kidney stones SUCK!) and have alleviated that by taking calcium citrate. Then this year I was diagnosed with osteoporosis of the spine, however my doctors and I think this more has to do with the degeneration of my discs due to previous injury and medication that leeches Calcium than my gastric bypass because it's only my spine and not systemic.

4. If you had children, did it effect your ability to go full term? Were you able to provide enough nutrients to the baby?

I was unable to have children, sadly.

5. Was getting sick with things like the flu harder to get over?

No, not really. The first year, maybe two the flu did hit me harder and make my stomach cramp and talk about nothing and I mean NOTHING staying put. But once I turned that corner of nausea passing and being able to keep fluids down, I was all good.

6. Did you have PCOS before? If so, did the surgery cure that?

I did have PCOS before surgery and one of the reasons that I had surgery was to lose the weight so that I could safely have treatments and carry a child to term. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the cards for me. Within the first year of my surgery I had a cyst blow and they ran a scan to check and make sure that I was okay, but they found that one of my cysts had walled itself off...ergo tumor. I got a second opinion, but the ovary had to go and since one had to go I told them to take it all. Thankfully I had prepared myself for that because by the time the surgery came about(waiting blew, gotta love insurance) my other ovary was so full of cysts it was the size of my uterus and ready to explode and kill me. So, I was right, everything MUST go! It's actually a funny story if you talk to my husband. Not so much if you talk to the hospital.

Did you suffer with more stomach issues due to the surgery?

No, though I did find out after the surgery that I was gluten sensitive. *lol* I had to learn to just LOVE liquid medications(so nasty, but better than ulcers and migraines). I prefer hot or warm liquids to cool and really can't handle high Fiber foods, I miss salads. Though I have found that cottage cheese as a base seems to work okay. I'm rare though I know alot of people that have had wls that can eat raw spinach, lettuce, grapes, etc just fine. My husband has to peel my grapes. *grins* I love him so.

7. Did you go through menopause? If so, was it normal?

I have gone through menopause, my hysterectomy kind of made that happen. So I don't know how normal that was. *laughs* Black Cohosh for hot flashes was my friend and Biotin for hair and nails was awesome. However, I eventually went on hormone replacement because I was as dry as the Sahara ladies. Sand, sand was pouring from places we won't mention. I now bathe in coconut oil with essential oils added for smell(I make my own bath scrubs).

Obviously if you have any other questions I'm more than happy to answer them. I noticed that not alot of people that are further out from the surgery are on the site, so please feel free to pick my brain. I'm an open book, pretty much.

Edited by schoollass

Schoollass, I get the 'dry as the Sahara' reference. I am finished w/menopause (I'm 54) and am dealing with that issue myself. What exactly helps w/that?

Well, I have alot of allergies, both medical, seasonal, and food allergies. So the first thing I would look into is if you have any problems with the soaps or washes you've been using. I found out that chlorhexadine which is a heavy medical disinfectant is also being used in shampoos, soaps, even lubricant(that as an aha! moment). I happen to be highly allergic to it, but for others it dries them out just like alcohol would. Since it's in alot of products, I now use olive or coconut oil for lube, but there is also a very natural lubricant called H20 that is for all practical purposes a gelled Water. Very nice. You can of course, verify that oil is alright to use with your pharmacist or doctor as I am not a medical professional just someone who has been through the grind. *smiles* Hydration is key of course. Making sure that you get enough Water every day. I know that I don't have enough if I even get an inkling of a headache.

Some people praise premarin cream, but I had to go as far as full hormone replacement with the patch. My hair had began to break off in clumps and I had lost over a full inch in height in less than a year. It wasn't pretty.

I hope this was maybe a little helpful. I can tell you more if you like, just tag me back.

<p><em>1. How are you feeling after all these years?</em></p> <p>Let's see...I had my surgery in March of 2004 and I'm feeling pretty good day to day. *smiles* Still can't eat more than 3-4oz at a time, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to do that going in. I do miss salads though.</p> <p> </p> <p><em>2. Have you any regrets about having this done?</em></p> <p>None whatsoever. I would have it done again in a minute. I was at 365 lbs, had already had more than one knee reconstruction and was looking at having a back surgery(which was necessary later on anyway). I have diabetes on both sides of my family, hbp, heart problems, though I didn't have these problems it was just a matter of time. It was not looking good for me. Surgery was definitely the way to go.</p> <p> </p> <p><em>3. Has the surgery and lack of nutrients affected your bones or health negatively long term?</em></p> <p>I have had several health issues since my surgery, that being said; they were not directly caused by the surgery. Within the first three years after my bypass I had already had another 5 surgeries to fix various problems with joint issues, my PCOS(I'll get to that), gall bladder(still had mine), and my back that had been injured in a car accident and was so bad that I couldn't even walk to the bathroom without help. That was AFTER surgery and AFTER I had lost over 100 lbs. <br><br> That being said, I haven't really had any negative effects directly related to the surgery from lack of nutrients etc. I have to keep up on my supplimentation in order to remain free from the problems of anemia both Iron and B-12(shots once a month). I have learned the folly of taking Calcium carbonate(kidney stones SUCK!) and have alleviated that by taking calcium citrate. Then this year I was diagnosed with osteoporosis of the spine, however my doctors and I think this more has to do with the degeneration of my discs due to previous injury and medication that leeches calcium than my gastric bypass because it's only my spine and not systemic.</p> <p> </p> <p>4.<em> If you had children, did it effect your ability to go full term? Were you able to provide enough nutrients to the baby?</em></p> <p>I was unable to have children, sadly.</p> <p> </p> <p>5. <em>Was getting sick with things like the flu harder to get over?</em></p> <p>No, not really. The first year, maybe two the flu did hit me harder and make my stomach cramp and talk about nothing and I mean NOTHING staying put. But once I turned that corner of nausea passing and being able to keep fluids down, I was all good.</p> <p> </p> <p>6. <em>Did you have PCOS before? If so, did the surgery cure that?</em></p> <p>I did have PCOS before surgery and one of the reasons that I had surgery was to lose the weight so that I could safely have treatments and carry a child to term. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the cards for me. Within the first year of my surgery I had a cyst blow and they ran a scan to check and make sure that I was okay, but they found that one of my cysts had walled itself off...ergo tumor. I got a second opinion, but the ovary had to go and since one had to go I told them to take it all. Thankfully I had prepared myself for that because by the time the surgery came about(waiting blew, gotta love insurance) my other ovary was so full of cysts it was the size of my uterus and ready to explode and kill me. So, I was right, everything MUST go! It's actually a funny story if you talk to my husband. Not so much if you talk to the hospital.</p> <p> </p> <p><em>Did you suffer with more stomach issues due to the surgery?</em></p> <p>No, though I did find out after the surgery that I was gluten sensitive. *lol* I had to learn to just LOVE liquid medications(so nasty, but better than ulcers and migraines). I prefer hot or warm liquids to cool and really can't handle high Fiber foods, I miss salads. Though I have found that cottage cheese as a base seems to work okay. I'm rare though I know alot of people that have had wls that can eat raw spinach, lettuce, grapes, etc just fine. My husband has to peel my grapes. *grins* I love him so.</p> <p> </p> <p>7. <em>Did you go through menopause? If so, was it normal?</em></p> <p>I have gone through menopause, my hysterectomy kind of made that happen. So I don't know how normal that was. *laughs* Black Cohosh for hot flashes was my friend and Biotin for hair and nails was awesome. However, I eventually went on hormone replacement because I was as dry as the Sahara ladies. Sand, sand was pouring from places we won't mention. I now bathe in coconut oil with essential oils added for smell(I make my own bath scrubs). </p> <p> </p> <p>Obviously if you have any other questions I'm more than happy to answer them. I noticed that not alot of people that are further out from the surgery are on the site, so please feel free to pick my brain. I'm an open book, pretty much. </p>

The only shocking thing 12 years out is I'm now a diabetic.