Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded; Considering revision to sleeve

Happy new year, everyone! I have had my lap band for 5 years, and need it taken out. I had not even thought of a conversion to a sleeve, but my doctor brought it up, and I think it scared me more than anything! I'm brand new to this board, and would love honest input, good and bad. Here is my story in as small a nutshell as I can make it.

Got my band about 5 years ago. Starting weight 265. Lost only around 20-25 pounds. Got on Medifast and lost another 20. Problems kept coming up with my band. Looking back now I realize that my band either did not give me the feeling of fullness that I expected, or I had horrible trouble with it. It either did not work at all, or I was constantly getting stuck after two or three bites. Always having to leave the dinner table to walk around hoping food would go down, or making it come back up. Of course, not feeling satisfied made me find other things that I knew would go down easily, and we all know that those types of food are not what we need for weight loss.

I have spent the last year feeling like a complete failure. Had not been going to see my surgeon because I wasn't having horrible trouble, and I also wasn't losing weight. I was completely ashamed. Then, about two months ago I started heartburn in the mornings after coffee. Cut out coffee and switched to hot tea. Worked for a bit, but after two weeks of two zantac a day, I went to see my GP who did an ulcer test. Negative. By the time that test came back, I could not keep anything down but Water. Scheduled for an upper GI, but knew I would not be able to swallow barium. Finally sucked it up and went to see surgeon. He wasn't in, but his nurse took out all my Fluid, 6.2, and I immediately felt better. liquids going down, upper GI didn't show anything horrible. Back on regular food, but now heartburn coming back at strange times.

So, I definitely want my band out, but am struggling with the idea of revision. I am scared for several reasons. Having more than half of my stomach removed seems really wrong somehow. This procedure has not had a lot of long term studies done. What are the consequences 30 years later for having most of your stomach gone? And what about grehlin (sp)? I know that is the hormone that causes hunger, and it is removed after a sleeve. Not much research has been done on what else this hormone might be responsible for.

At first I was completely against the thought of revision, and now I find myself on the fence looking for input. I haven't even brought this up with my husband yet, because I don't know how I feel about it. He is extremely supportive, and will love me even if I stay overweight. This is all me and my issues with my weight. Thanks for any input any of you might have! I'm so sorry for rambling on my very first post, but felt it best to put it all out there! I look forward to reading your wisdom, experiences and insight.

Many blessings!!

THolland

"Obese people are more likely to be depressed. Depressed people are more likely to be obese."

People can go from Band to VSG; depends on 1) any stomach erosion from the band, poor results from it, etc. In some patients, it's done as a 1-step procedure (right then), or 2-step: band out, recover, weeks later-->VSG.

Ghrelin is the hunger hormone. Period. But even after 3 years after a VSG, the hormone finds some way to find other portals to secrete from, though not to the usual extent.

Patients with heartburn before VSG will also have it afterwards, maybe even more because the VSG is a "pressurized" procedure--it increases the pressure in the upper part of what's left of your stomach. So if prone to gas/heartburn, you may get it still. Some OTC meds may help.

More and more bands are being removed, and many converted to VSG, or RYGB( roux-n-Y gastric bypass).

I think you will find some good responses here. I had my band out a few months ago, and am going for the VSG in 2 weeks. I had many of the same issues as you with keeping food down, getting stuck, etc. I have never had an issue with heartburn.

I am not sure what to tell you as far as what's going to happen 30 years after you've had a sleeve. But if you remove the band and gain all your weight back, there are studies on what obesity can do to your body. I guess you have to weigh the options (no pun intended)

Yes it seems extreme to have more than half your stomach removed. But you are still getting nutrition and there is no malabsorption involved like with R & Y or DS.

Yes it's a risk, but I figure, every time I walk out of my house, I'm taking a risk. The band was supposed to work, it didn't. Now I have to do what's best for me.

I decided to have 85% of my stomach removed because it was permanent.... The band I would be able to eat around and the other stories I heard about erosion and the stomach getting mangled scared me. Plus it wasn't permanent. I would gain the weight back as soon as it was removed knowing the way my mind works.

The sleeve is permanent and has been used for many, many years. I had the wls 2 years ago and have had no complications. My problem is my addiction to carbs (sugars). That's me not my stomach. I am pretty much at goal weight right now and love my body size. Hang in there. :P

i ask myself those same question and I'm still not sure i even know those answers. who knows what will happen after 30 years, but i often wonder how healthy i will be in 30 ears if i keep myself at my current weight or gain more. I've been struggling with the idea of surgery too, for about 1 1/2 yrs. I'm ring to meet with one other dr next week and ill ask him some of those questions you mentioned!

Good concerns but for me the benefits outweighed the risks.

Hey there. I had a band back in 2007 and was down 60 lbs. 2 yrs. later I began having reflux issues and had gained 30 lbs. back. Now, by 2012 I was told the band should come out because it was causing all my stomach issues as well as my esphogus beginning to become stretched.

So, May of 2013 I had a revision....and for me, my results have been how I expected the band to work. I'm a weight I've not seen in 30 yrs. and a size I've never known in a woman's body! Yes, it was a scary thought at first but then I thought about the decision to be banded...it was about being healthy and living a long life and what I was dealing with pre-band and post band were not making that happen. Are there risks, YES! But, I was willing to do it because I could see what my future could be looking at my family's health. My mother is only 20 yrs. older than me (66) and she can't walk the mall, can't climb stairs, etc. because of her weight. She just had her first grandchild but she'll never be able to play on the floor with him, fling him around...you know, all those wonderful things a kid should have with grandma. In fact, she might not be here beyond his 10th birthday. THESE things pushed me toward doing this revision.

You review and contemplat ALL your options...you could just have it removed...that was the option given to me. However, be honest with yourself (very honest)....will that be enough or will you still need a tool to help keep off the weight long term? Hugs and best of luck in making your decision.

Annette

Interesting topic as I'm considering a revision to the sleeve myself.

I was banded in Aug 2012, and have lost about 90 pounds since then. However, I've been having issues with my band, on & off, for the last 6 months. I had unfills then slight fills again in April, August & Oct. In Oct, we found my band had partially slipped but by doing an unfill for 4 weeks then only a partial fill thereafter, we figured I'd be OK. I had been experiencing occassional vomiting & some stomach discomfort.

Well, last week, while on a mini vacation in NYC , I had massive pain & knew what was happening. After a full day in the city, I finally went to the ER. Reluctant only because my insurance doesn't exist in NYC & I could see the $$ I'd be billed. They confirmed my band slipped. I was in so much pain, they actually gave me morphine & some other pain killer that starts with a D. Oh gosh, it was awful. I couldn't even keep Water down without throwing it back up. They unfilled me 6 cc. They didn't want to release me at first, but after 15 hours (yes 15), and confirming I could finally eat (graham crackers), they let me go.

I called my Dr upon my return Monday (this week) but guess what, she's on vacation. The office said since I wasn't in pain & could keep things down, I could see her next week. My apt is next Wed (seriously?). UGH.

I'm not in pain & I can eat, but I'm definitely still uncomfortable. I want to wait because I'm hoping that she might tell me that she can do a revision to the sleeve & that its covered. I had spoken to her about looking into it back in Oct when my band had partially slipped.

This gets interesting because my original surgeon was through another insurance. I now have Kaiser Permanente (CO), so I don't know what they're willing to do.I don't know what's covered, what the requirements are, how long I have to wait, etc...

I'm curious to hear if anyone has any experience with lap band to sleeve & how recovery is, eating, menu.. .etc...

Domik03, I'm not sure about Kaiser (CO) but I'm Kaiser (CA) and since I was having a problem with the band, they covered the removal. But to cover the revision I had to attend the 12 wks. of education classes as if I were a new WLS patient. Did I care...nope! It got me the revision needed. Good luck.

Thanks for the info