Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy New Year, Happy Green Day?

Today: 100s and 1000s (dare I say millions) are traveling to the legal pot Mecca of the USA : Colorado. They are arriving by plane, by train or even by camper to participate in what fondly has been named "Green Day."

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/12/31/colorado-readies-for-green-wednesday-pot-sales/

Legally a person can buy up to 1 oz of pot, smoke it publicly and face zero consequences from it. Sounds like a big party to me. Or a train wreck. It could go either way.

The questions (ignoring any moral implications of post use for the moment - I am opposed to use):

How did such a law get passed in the first place? Must be some really good lobbying.

Why would the state of Colorado want this?

Is pot going to end up like alcohol and tobacco industries where big business lobby political parties to pass new laws in the name of Capitalism?

How long do you think legal pot use will last?

When do you think it will go nation wide?

If pot becomes a legal commodity for consumers, I can see it being easy to buy everywhere from gas stations to Safeway with perhaps age restrictions. The price may come down. Today, it is going to sell for about 200 dollars an ounce from Denver pot stores where it is known to sell for 25 dollars on the street (according to some research). Government would be advised to lower the price in a fixed range if they want to clean up the street sales of it. After all, why would someone pay 200 when same quantity is available for 25 on the street corner? I admit that legal pot sales will probably have better quality controls then the illegal pot sales. Government would want to prevent the start of pandemics from bad fungus and that sot of thing (or would they, hmmm...)

And before you write off this topic as being completely non weight loss related, check out the following article that claims pot use lowers the insulin response:

www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/marijuana-and-weight-loss

This thread is just a fun little discussion in "the lounge." No holy wars please. Just be honest and friendly with your responses.

I think it will be coming to more and more states. Illinois just made it available for medical use but does not plan to have any state approved providers for a year. In Washington state pot is legal, and believe individuals can purchase it. Fiddle, you live there. Could you please conform. DIdn't feel like googling. Sorry.

Making it legal I think will help. Look at what prohibition did for organized crime. People are going to use it regardless that has been proven. Legalization might help lower crime and end some gang violence. It would also be a highly taxed commodity which would generate revenue and reduce state and federal deficits. Not that this is a reason to legalize it nationally. I don't think that if it were legal, the number of people would dramatically increase. If t were legalized there would have to be definitive restrictions about use. I wouldn't want to fly on a plane with a pilot who is under the influence nor would I want any medical procedure performed by a doctor who had recently used it.

As you said it could be a train wreck, government involvement can muck up things. They are already involved by prosecuting users and with the cartel wars and gang wars associated with drugs and violence. If legalization would allow some of these funds and resources to be used in a more positive way, then I am for it.

Maybe I am looking at through rose colored glasses.

Good topic and I'm sure will bring some interesting discussions.

Edited by ribearty

I believe in WA it is legal to possess, but not to purchase. This must mean prescription only. Although I am sure there is a lot of "turning the other way" and wink-wink going on if someone wanted to purchase without a prescription. Not sure- I do not really keep up with the pot law here. However, I have noticed that on a 10 mile stretch of highway 9 between Lake Stevens and woodinville, there are no less then 10 dispensaries with the green "+" outside. And this stretch I would consider off the beaten path and very rural where there are more commuters then residents. I find it oddly curious there are so many.

Edited by Fiddleman

I live in Denver and although most if what you have stated is accurate there are some things that I could clear up for you. Colorado legalized pot for several reasons.

1. To tax the hell out of it and give the money to the school system.

2. To regulate it so people got what they paid for and nothing laced or fake or anything like that. Buying pot in the street can be dangerous and you don't know what you are getting.

3. Pot tourism looks to bring a lot of money to Colorado. People with out of state drivers licenses can not buy as much as a state resident but they can come to Colorado and purchase and enjoy.

Also, pot may not be consumed openly on the streets it in public areas. It may be consumed on your property or in privately owned businesses where NO alcohol is served. Don't think you come to Denver and see people hitting bongs while they walk down the street.

The state has also imposed high driving laws similar to drunk driving laws. You are not allowed to smoke while driving or be high. They pull you over and test you.

No where in the street is pot $25 an ounce. People currently pay more on the street for the same pot you buy with a medical card because someone had to go but it first then sell it to you. So the cost will likely go down for consumers purchasing it legally.

I am not a regular pot smoker. I have smoked it on occasion for recreational purposes but since I am only 15 days post op I will wait until I am feeling a little better to try it again. I support all peoples opinions on this matter but have found that most people who oppose recreational pot have never smoked it.

Edited by Kiap82

I think they ought to legalize pot if alcohol is legal. Not much difference.....except pot has zero calories.

Butter, zero calories until the munchies kick in, or so I have read.

Fiddle,

Here is an article with info on Washington State.

It also has an article from a doctor about health risks to users.

http://kuow.org/topic/marijuana-path-legalization-washington-state

Kiap82, the company for whom I work has an office in Denver and when the legalization law passed, some of my coworkers jokingly teased them and they became very upset about it.

Very true.....but then again back in my drinking days every night of hard drinking ended with a greasy fattening meal at 2am.

Usually I'd load up on those cheap tacos from jack in the box. Five dollars will buy you alot of tacos.

Cheap tacos from jack in the box. Five dollars will buy you alot of tacos.

Five dollars will still buy you a lot of tacos. I think they are on the dollar menu. Just think how many they would feed with our small stomachs if we still ate that type of food.

We are all older and wiser now.

Edited by ribearty

Yeah I don't think the price has gone up on those tacos in 25 years. They are still cheap and nasty. But after a long hard night of power drinking they were always quite good. I wonder how good they'd be after smoking pot. I wouldn't know cause I've never tried it. My job does way too many random drug tests.

I have no stance on consumption.

I'd just be interested to see how 'happy' the government will be when they add to the set of problems they currently have, caused by alcohol, with a whole new set of additional social, political, legal and wholly more problematic psycho-social medical issues as can be caused by pot smoking? Particularly in adolescents who seem to reap the worst 'benefits' of smoking cannabis during their 'developmental' years.

Lest we get into the argument of 'one drug leads to an other' or how through legalisation and if consumed whole-sale, how it might damage the pharmaceutical industry by impacting upon their profits. Although, who is to say that those companies wouldn't end up producing the stuff themselves and it being part of the governments long-term plan?

In my inexperienced opinion and if the 2nd, 3rd and 4th order effects were calculated? I can't see it being worth the money accrued through taxation of the market, because of the much greater expenditure which would be required elsewhere (fiscal, medical, enforcement activity, market protection, etc.)

Although in saying that and conspiracy theories abound... Who's to say that some of those effects might not actually be part of the desired outcome which is why the legalisation - or at least decriminalisation - is spreading?

Now, there's a thought! :blink:

I never got the munchies. It did help the pain from my spinal injury, though. I'd smoke, then I'd go to bed. Maybe had I smoked more often I wouldn't have gained so much.....

First of all - right now in Florida - it's still 100% illegal, not even medical use. I've never touched it or hung out with people that did it. Yes I was a up tight nerd in high school and then again in college but that's a different story.

I think that people will smoke it regardless of legal status. People drank when it was illegal - between under age drinking and prohibition era drinking. Unfortunately prohibition lead to moonshine and if that isn't done right there are really bad consequences. I say make pot legal. Let the government regulate it, tax it, etc. I think it's less toxic to the body than cigarettes. Make similar laws regarding drinking apply to pot - DUI, workmans comp, etc. Also, I think this should free up a lot of our jails for marijuana related crimes. If police don't have to worry about pot, they can focus on bigger issues and save the taxpayer some money.