Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Mexico Story with the Sleeve

Hi Everyone. I am home and rested and ready to share my experience with Gastric Sleeve Surgery....

Stats: Height 5 ft 1 weight on surgery day 248 (higher than my scale stated)

Age 36

Doctor: Dr. Ramos Kelly

Hospital Nova Tijuana Mexico

32 Boogie ( She is small) I call her Moaning Myrtle

Background: Genetically inclined to be fat. Managed to stay within normal weight in high school and pieces/ parts of adult hood. 135- 140 in high school 150 adulthood. Married at 30 y.o was 175 and climbing.... Not a big sweets eater but I overeat and I fancy myself a good cook. Prepare healthy meals, but Portion Control is a problem. Yo-Yo dieter tried: Weight watchers, Optifast, Medi fast, Jenny craig, Paleo, Atkins, Ketone diet and SouthBeach. Will lose a little and gain a lot the minute I go off plan. I even tried the Cabbage Soup diet, gross and ineffective. I lost 2 pounds, pretty sure it was because I pooped that day :)

Journey started December 25th, arrived at Hotel Marriott in San Diego. Arrived a day early because it just worked out better for my trip. I had been fasting and it was hard, the menu at this hotel was amazing, and the cooking smells were killing me. They had ONE Soup of the day...butter-squash bisque. I ordered that and fought the urge to order the lava cake. Walked, enjoyed the view from my room,thought about life and SLEPT. Had a cup of Decaf coffee.

December 26. The day has arrived. Dr, Kelly's wife CiCi picked me up from the Hotel and we began our journey into Mexico. I was nervous and my hospital paperwork was in Spanish. Receptionist was efficient but not very friendly. Didn't know what I was signing. I ended up having to pay 500 dollars more for a high BMI (48) which annoyed me since I had conflicting messages about it from Lora, my original coordinator who was on vacation at this time. Cici was now my coordinator and go-to person. I was asked to pay it when I was in a precarious position, getting hooked up to ekg and prepped for surgery. Nurse aids pulled my gown down, exposing bare breasts to the room and started sticking those electrode things on, one pulled my panties off and threw my undies in a bedside drawer. Two of them began putting compression hose on my legs. Bed side manner was abrupt. I cried and they did nothing to put me at ease. Did all preliminary tests and then was wheeled into surgery. Dr. Kelly's anesthesiologist was on vacation and I had in his place a very beautiful young model- looking woman who was texting while I was laid out like Jesus Christ on the OR table awaiting surgery and to be knocked out! I thought it was unprofessional but I was terrified and as soon as the mask went on I was out. Did not see Dr. Kelly in the OR before I passed out. Would have liked to.

Woke up with a lot of nausea and pain. Worst pain of my whole life which continued for the whole night. I walked and walked and moaned and rocked myself. Couldn't communicate effectively with nurses who seemed baffled at my pain.

December 27- Felt better and EXHAUSTED. Cici said someone would call my husband to tell him I came out of surgery ok, no one actually did and he was beside himself with worry. I called him to let him know I was ok, but didn't want to talk long since I was so tired and hoarse. Dr. Kelly came in and apologized, admitted the new anesthesiologist made a mistake and gave me no pain meds before or after, so I was healing “RAW” at that point. Threw up some blood a few times and finally got some pain relief. Slept the rest of the day. Pain was minimal and I could sleep on my side and eat ice chips. LOTS of noise loud talking outside of room, motorcycle racing on street below, and a crying baby. I live in a rural quiet environment and I could not relax. I was cold and had one blanket, asked for another pillow and blanket and was given two sheets folded up over me and a pillow with no pillow case that was so shabby, the stuffing was showing lol. No one knocks, they barge in and flip the lights on full blast when you are trying to sleep and then walk out and leave them on. I didn't have a call button at first, then they went to get one hooked into the wall. Kept getting up to turn lights off so I could rest. Finally told on -call doctor (not Dr. Kelly) “Please shut off the light!!” He seemed oblivious.

December 28- Not sleeping well and IV line was hurting. Nurse wouldn't take it out and I asked her to call Dr. Kelly. She did and couldn't get a hold of him. I had thrown up so violently I peed myself the night before and needed a shower. Cant handle being dirty. Used translator on ipad to finally convey message to nurse who took out IV. YAY!! Showered and washed myself and my hair. brushed my teeth and changed into scrubs which amused the nurses. Scrubs are comfy and don't pinch the middle. Love them. GAS X was my savor through it all. I cant stress this enough, BRING GAS X. Sat on my bed and read a book on my ipad. Five people piled into my room and I was stared at and informed they would be talking about my case with the interns IN SPANISH of course. I heard them talk about my weight and one of the pretty interns made a gasping noise upon hearing my weight. It was awkward and upsetting. I wanted to go home.

Now.

I texted cici and asked if I could get a ride to the airport. I asked to take my leak test and Dr. Kelly did this at another hospital. I could tell they were confused by my attitude change and due to my lack of sleep among other things I just wanted to be back state side. I still had two days left, but felt like I would heal better at home. Husband helped change my flight and I was home by midnight the 28th.

December 29th- Took a low Water level bath in my own claw-foot tub AHHHHHH heaven. Fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow (my own pillow) Draped myself over my sweet husband and two fluffy pomeranians. Healing up really well and Im impressed with Dr. Kelly and his wife, but not so much the staff at NOVA.

Husband ordered a bunch of cool shakes, purees and puddings and stocked a cupboard with bariatric goodies. He is so awesome. Got a massage today and some lymphatic drainage from husband also ( He is a massage therapist) This helped with my swelling and puffy face and feet.

Over all I think Dr. Kelly is a great surgeon I just think the cultural barrier was hard to overcome for me. I would do it again to get the result. I've attached a photo of my belly which of course is still swollen but i wanted you to see what to expect. My incisions do not hurt at all and I forget they are there.

post-198895-0-17532600-1388376646_thumb.jpg

I am glad to hear that you are home and healing just fine. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi CK. wow, that was some experience. As they say... there is no place like home. I'm glad the overall experience was positive but hate you had to endure the personal and intimate mistreatment by the staff. I've heard the same at some of the other clinics down there but then there are others that had totally different experiences. I think it is more a cultural thing than anything else. I am hoping my insurance approves my surgery. If not I may be going to Mexico as well. I hope you have a quick recovery and a successful weight loss. Keep us updated on your progress.

I'm very sorry to hear of your hassles. It sounds as if there was some definite unprofessional behavior happening. I truly hope that was the worst that you will encounter in your journey. Thank You for sharing your story and Thank You for including a picture of your incisions. It was a very informative and helpful post to those of us who are still pre-op.

Good Luck to you.

Omg u poor girl thank god u home and all is going well

I'm sorry for your bad experience.. I've read this several times here, about Kelly charging an extra five hundred at the last minute..

I can't remember if it is always due to BMI though.

I wonder why he doesn't just charge it up front?

I'm glad you are home and safe though :)

When I was researching surgeons 2-3 months ago dr Kelly's office offered me surgery at Hospital Nova OR Hospital Angeles for $2K more. I had read about the surprise charges at Hospital Nova (which I believe is the MOST modest hospital in the TJ bariatric scene, whereas Hospital Angeles is probably the most new/polished one).

I also found Dr. Kelly & his team very nice, but they forgot to follow through on a couple of things when they were marketing to me and I wasn't able to feel secure that I would have a smooth time with them.

Rhw- you are very wise to pick up on that. I am not well traveled and didn't know what to expect. I got in and out of Mexico as quickly as possible. The boredom during recovery is hard also. It can feel isolating.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you are home resting and recovering. While there's no place like home, you should have been made to feel comfortable throughout your experience. They need to work on their bedside manner! Hopefully the worst is behind you!

Also meant to say: Glad that you're doing so well and best wishes for more smooth times now that you're sleeved :)!

Glad your surgery went well, but sorry you had such a bad experience in TJ. I was sleeved on 12/20 at Obesity a Control Center and had a completely opposite experience. There were no communication issues as most of the staff spoke great English. My night nurse was probably the least proficient, but she still knew what I wanted when I explained the volume button on the TV remote wasn't working. (Seriously, that was my biggest "problem" postop). Other than the first night in the clinic We recovered at the Marriott where again, the friendly staff knew enough English to be accommodating. We were shuttled back to OCC each day for rechecks. Daily walks to the Walmart Plaza were a great distraction, and on day 2 our driver took us to Avenude Revolucion market area for shopping. There were travel/scheduling issues that came up the last day, but the OCC concierge pulled some strings and got us fast passed over the border to make all of our flights on time.

I'm wishing you all the best with your successful recovery.

Hey Cali Kelly,

OMG Thank you for your honest review of youor stay and surgeon. i had looked real seriously at dr kelly but was freaked out reading several reviews that werent necessairly bad but eccoing your experience of unprofessional staff ( OMG NO PAIN mEDS for over 24 hours thats OUTRAGEOUS!! AND NOBODY SEARCHING INTO WHY YOUR CRYING AND ROCKING YOURSELF TO sleep on your room alone. WOW WOW WOW thats pretty bad IMO.

i'm golad you are stateside now and able to let your awesome hubby help you heal and feel better,

i think you are through the worst of it lets hope itsd smooth sailing from this point forward :)

To Nola- yeah wasn't a great experience but I think my surgeon is competent just not the follow up care. Wish dr. Kelly would just charge 7k and have the follow up care at the fancy hospital. He is worth it, but I understand the competitiveness in the Mexico scene. You are correct that I should not have had to go through all that, especially hearing how great others had it in Mexico.

Well at least you made it out with no infection or cdiff. one of the hospitals was sending everyone home with cdiff and thats horriffic. also some ppl come home with infection in the incision sites, I'm glad yoou are home and feeling better. i'm headed out to OCC in about 12 days :)

Wow I didnt hear about the cdiff! Do you know which hospital that was? Im about to put my deposit down with Dr. Fernando Garcia.< /p>