Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First 5k Post Surgery

I've registered to do my first 5k!! I've always wanted to do something like this but my weight has held me back. Now that I'm almost a month after banding, I've lost a total 24.6 lbs and are more motivated now!!

I've dropped almost two pant sizes. I am so happy and feel I now can set higher goals. I've had friends ask me to do a 5k or similar before AMD have always declined.

Congrats!! I'll warn you though.....its HIGHLY addictive!! And as a bonus.....you'll probably never need to buy another t-shirt. :)

my daughter is a marathoner. she loves the life style. she even did a 5k when she was 3 mos. preg. and was having problems. i was horrified and just didn't understand her motivation. baby was fine by the way. so good luck on your new endeavor.

I've registered to do my first 5k!! I've always wanted to do something like this but my weight has held me back. Now that I'm almost a month after banding, I've lost a total 24.6 lbs and are more motivated now!!

I've dropped almost two pant sizes. I am so happy and feel I now can set higher goals. I've had friends ask me to do a 5k or similar before AMD have always declined.

I'm impressed!! 2 months out...that's quite a achievement...

It took me at least a year, and I had to drop a significant amount of weight before I could even start running...too high impact ....with 100 lbs of fat rising and falling with every stride....pounding down on my lower joints....

In the military they did that as corporal punishment....made you run with a weighed down back pack...

I stayed on the elliptical for a year after surgery, much lower impact on my knees and hips and could still increase my cardio as I lost weight....

And now do 5 miles (8K) at 5:30am, 5 days a week.....but it took me time to get there, and only as I gradually lost the excess weight....and improved my Cardio Fitness....

I should mention I was 59 when I had my surgery, and am now 62 years old....not only Obese, but smoked for over 40 years...had multiple medical issues, including CAD and at least one Heart Attack....

So you probably also have an advantage being much younger.....

Congrats and best wishes! It sounds like you are on the right path! Happy New year!Karen..aka.kll724

Good for you! I have recently been having thoughts of participating in some kind of organized event. For me it would be walking but I'm a pretty fast walker. I can hardly believe this is me thinking up exercise opportunities -- such a new way of thinking! Good luck and have fun with the training. You have so much to Celebrate -- here's to a new year filled with health and happiness.

I haven't ran since track in high school almost 20 years ago. I don't think I can run the entire 5k unless I train. Today I've walked, walked fast, then a fast jog in my area today. I did way less 25+ lbs prior. I'm a month post surgery and after my third lap around the area (4 laps is a mile), my port area felt weird.