Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Useful pre-op things?

What things has everyone found useful to use post-op? I don't want to buy anything that I will not use. And what scale is the best one to have? I have so many questions.

What things has everyone found useful to use post-op? I don't want to buy anything that I will not use. And what scale is the best one to have? I have so many questions.

Take only cell phone &charger, loose clothing for ride home toothbrush/paste , glasses if you wear them I didn't take my contacts. Magazine or book if you like to read the hospital puts 2gowns on you so no robe needed . When I got home I used ice packs across stomach even when sleeping plus pain meds they issue, dont even try doing/lifting anything til dr gives go ahead it could set u out back.

Also shop at goodwill cause it comes off quickly & you can save $$$ g or wardrobe after goal is made.

I used the scale I already had which is a Tanita. It's pretty close to the numbers I get at the doctors office. Heating pad is a lifesaver to help relieve gas and shoulder pain, a good variety of Soups to choose from, a food scale ( I like the biggest loser one from walmart), and a good unflavored Protein Powder to mix in anything. :) Other than that I think I didn't need anything else. I bought a lot of things for post op like different Protein Shakes I never used because they smelled too sweet, I bought the sugar free Syrup flavors, speciality bariatric soups...didn't use any of them! Best of luck with your surgery.

Edited by kraney

even now I cannot find a Protein powder that isn't too sweet. I have a Cookies and cream kind and it is too sweet for me. So far all I have is a personal blender, 1 cup pyrex bowls, a 1 ounce measuring cup and my robe and socks. My shopping list keeps getting bigger and bigger.

even now I cannot find a Protein powder that isn't too sweet. I have a Cookies and cream kind and it is too sweet for me. So far all I have is a personal blender, 1 cup pyrex bowls, a 1 ounce measuring cup and my robe and socks. My shopping list keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Try diet v8 juice tropical blend flavor w/1scoop of plain Protein use shaker bottle,it mixes easy &taste great w/20grams of protein per scoop. Try it before surgery even w/berry flavor ,also sold at Wal-Mart for $2 bottle.

After surgery I used Isopure unflavored Protein powder to mix in drinks or with Water and crystal light. I also made my own protein Popsicles out of the isopure and crystal light. The only Protein Drink I could stand and still drink to this day is Premier Protein in chocolate flavor that you can find pre made at costco and SAMs Club.

Also shop at goodwill cause it comes off quickly & you can save $$$ g or wardrobe after goal is made.

It's great to start picking up smaller sizes because you will one day be in them. Also I buy at goodwill when the clothes are 50% off whatever color tag. I've saved a ton of money that way and have lots of clothes to choose from.

Try diet v8 juice tropical blend flavor w/1scoop of plain Protein use shaker bottle,it mixes easy &taste great w/20grams of protein per scoop. Try it before surgery even w/berry flavor ,also sold at Wal-Mart for $2 bottle.

For my pre-op diet any protein drink that I have has to has less than 6 grams of carbs. I might try the unflavored protein in yogurt.

For my pre-op diet any Protein drink that I have has to has less than 6 grams of carbs. I might try the unflavored Protein in yogurt.

My list of food/drinks included diet v8splash,crystal light

For my pre-op diet any Protein drink that I have has to has less than 6 grams of carbs. I might try the unflavored Protein in yogurt.

My list of food/drinks included diet v8splash,crystal light

my liquids have to be sugar free other than protein. I might just have to suck it up.

my liquids have to be sugar free other than Protein. I might just have to suck it up.

Post op they prefer us all have things w/7grams of sugar or less just as an it dr ok. V8splash is only2grams of sugar per 8oz so you should be safe there &Crystal light is sugar free,the reason to keep sugar servings below7grams is to prevent dumping & believe me I have dumped from time to time due to healthy menus @cracker barrel &o Charles, a waitress brought me a baked sweet potato but put Brown sugar inside POTATO &I only tasted it on tip of tongue then got sick within 5mins.but the juices I til u about my surgeon gave me &old to have them but I prefer Water mostly

eek! that sounds like a nightmare!

I bought appetizer forks and spoons because I figured the small size would help me to take smaller bites and eat more slowly. I use them all the time. I also use appetizer plates and small bowls (approx. 1/2 cup size). An insulated lunch bag to carry your food to work or on errands is a must. My lunch bag is always packed with Vitamins, Calcium, non-perishable Protein Snacks, and my little utensils. :-)

eek! that sounds like a nightmare!

It was instant dumping I took running &told manager healthy menus dont include brown sugar or any sugars, then I spoke w/corporate office in Lebanon , tn &they are gonna revise there healthy menus soon.