Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lad band vs sleeve

This exchange is an excellent illustration of why combining different WLS forums into a single site was not a good idea...IMHO.

Sojourner, I don't disagree with what you've said here, but I do want to comment on the above statement, which I do understand is your personal opinion. For 6.5 years, I've belonged to another WLS site that includes forums for different WLS procedures, where heated exchanges like the one on this thread happen from time to time, but I don't think combining all the various forums on Bariatricpal will significantly increase the frequency of online arguments, because I've also observed quite a few people who hop from one site to another, and one forum to another and back again, waving whatever banner is important to the at the moment. Tis the nature of the beast.

I'm almost a techno-phobe, so if it's easy for me to navigate the Internet, surely it's even easier for the rest of the online world?

Edited by Jean McMillan

I picked the lapband over other WLS because for me it seemed safer for me. I liked the fact that none of my stomach had to me cut or removed/altered.

The band changed my life. I have no regrets at all... I only wish I had done it sooner. I can eat ANYTHING in moderation except carbonated beverages, rice and apple skins. I never feel like I missing out with the band.

I started with a 54" waist and am now a 30" waist.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

They all work if you do what is on the plan and they all work at diffrent rares. This is about getting healthy doing what you think is right and enjoying life.

i got the band with the same idea. Its reversible ...and comparatively a simple surgery...but alas ..it has eroded and now I have to go for sleeve...I am a bit scared ....it is a major operation,can have complications,recovery time is much more and so on..

I will follow doctor's orders sincerely...wish me luck.

2 years ago I got banded and a co-worker had a sleeve the same time-My goal was to stop overeating herd was losing weight. Well she lost 150 lbs the first year, I lost 80. All our co-workers were riding me about how much better the sleeve was- Well here it's been 2 years, I've lost 100lbs and maintained a slow weight loss, she's gained 50 % of her weight back. My band allows me to eat anything I want, just no more than a cup at a time. My opinion is-what do you want for your long term goal.

Most of the times all of the surgeries work because we give it our all in the beginning. With all of the surgeries we eventually slip into whatever routine we are going to be in. That is what will tell the story in the end. Not which surgery, but what life style we chose to maintain with. Problems arise when we expect the surgery to be the magic pill and us not ever have to take any responsibilities of our own.

The main reason I like the band is that I'm still in control. U can have it as loose or as tight as u want. My goal. And it's only my goal was to not over eat.

I'm about three years out from my band surgery and I've had a baby in that time as well. I was one of the lucky ones that actually found my sweet spot with a bit of trial and error, however my band has slipped, it has a leak, and it looks as though it has come unbuckled. I go to the doctor on the 9th to set up a surgery date to have my busted band taken out. I was somewhat successful with my band but I was constantly uncomfortable with my port pain. It's like a Cyborg alien under the skin.... Haha. For me, I wouldn't do the band again and I'm looking into revising to the Sleeve.

WLS is a very personal decision and one that you have to weigh out all the pros and cons and decide which one best fits your current health and lifestyle. Good luck to you.

I totally agree. WLS is a personal decision. Take an inventory of your bad eating habits. Everybody's different look at what's best for you.