Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lad band vs sleeve

While it's true that the sleeve is easier for some because it doesn't require adjustments (fills and unfills, I don't agree that it provides a better quality of life post-op. I revised from band to sleeve in August 2012 and in the 16 months since then have experienced complications that required more tests, procedures, treatments, time off work, and general misery than I ever experienced in 5 years with my band or even for decades before that. I'm happy with my weight loss, of course, but nothing else about my sleeve is easy to live with on a daily basis.

I wrote in some detail about my band-sleeve experience in a blog post here: http://jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-lot-of-people-especially-those.html

One of the unexpected (to me) aspects of sleeve gastrectomy is that, contrary to popular opinion, it does indeed cause the micro- and macro-nutrient malabsorption that made me decide against RNY. So I'm dealing with a variety of Vitamin and mineral deficiencies, supplements to compensate for all that, and unintentional weight loss. I'm 18 pounds below my goal weight and still losing.

I don't dwell on my dissatisfaction with my sleeve because there's really nothing I can do about it. Most of my stomach is gone forever, so all I can do for the rest of my life is make the best of the situation.

Quality of life is a very individual thing, hard to quantify, and unless the members of whatever committee you met with have had weight loss surgery, I doubt they're able to give you any accurate reasoning, data or scientific evidence to back up their claim that the sleeve offers a better quality of life. If you want anecdotal evidence about that, I suggest that you visit the sleeve forum. And keep in mind that band-to-sleeve revision members who post there may be delighted with their improved quality of life because their band side effects and complications were so awful that just removing their bands was a relief, not because the sleeve is superior to the band.

The bottom line is that there is no such thing as a perfect, risk-free, easy success weight loss surgery. All you can do is do your research, pick the procedure that feels right to you, and move on.

I'll close this message now because I'm tired, don't feel well, and have too much to do today, including picking up a prescription for injectable B12 and syringes and making an appointment with my gastro-enterologist about starting Iron infusions to deal with my post-sleeve anemia.

Jean

Edited by Jean McMillan

Great post Jean and good to see you. Hope you feel better soon!!

I really really appreciate all of your comments. I find them so helpful and informative. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your profound thoughts. I feel that I've made my final decisions and I'm going to with the lap band. I have my surgery jan 22. Wish me luck!

Good luck and keep us posted

Your suggestion that my information is based on hearsay & rumor is incorrect.

Look it up. I'm not interested in finding the links for you. I'm sure you know where Google is. mayo Clinic states it's not an effect stand alone procedure.

To your second point: LOL. Businesses don't sell their best products when they are performing well. Businesses don't play hot potato with the winning product. Welcome to Business 101.

You can keep on floating down the river of DeNial, but it really ticks me off that people would push it on a (from her photos) YOUNG woman to get a Lap-Band.

The chances of it working for her long term are slim.

Oh, and I don't even understand your point about patients revising from sleeve to Lap-Band. Please clarify and I'll feel free to add more. But generally, when a job is done right the first time, a second surgery isn't needed.

Shelly, go look at all the patients revising from the band to the sleeve on the sleeve forums. The band simply isn't as successful for people, as a whole. This is why the Mayo Clinic no longer offers it, and Allergan is trying to sell their own product (the LapBand.) I'd gently suggest the sleeve, personally. I'm a week out from being sleeved and feeling great. Good luck with your decision.

I would suggest your conclusions are based on nothing but hearsay and rumor. You don't offer any documentation as to why the Mayo Clinic does not offer banding?

Allergan sold the lapband division earlier this month and businesses selling off divisions of their own companies is not a rarity. For all you know they made a profit? So please stick to the facts when posting.

And, you won't see anyone revising from the sleeve to back to normal(or the band) now will you?

Look it up. I'm not interested in finding the links for you. I'm sure you know where Google is. mayo Clinic states it's not an effect stand alone procedure.

To your second point: LOL. Businesses don't sell their best products when they are performing well. Businesses don't play hot potato with the winning product. Welcome to Business 101.

You can keep on floating down the river of DeNial, but it really ticks me off that people would push it on a (from her photos) YOUNG woman to get a Lap-Band.

Oh, and I don't even understand your point about patients revising from sleeve to Lap-Band. Please clarify and I'll feel free to add more. But generally, when a job is done right the first time, a second surgery isn't needed.

Let me introduce you to debate 101. I don't have to disprove a negative. You're the one who is making the assertions without any proof.

And when it comes to business, you might want to stay out of it because businesses sell profitable divisions and products all the time. Again, you make wild A$$ assertions with no knowledge and no proof.

And to come to the lapband forum and make another assertion "The chances of it working for her long term are slim" is quite a leap for someone who had surgery just days ago. I guess that makes you an expert? Not hardly! There are many people on this site who have had the band for many years. Get off your high horse sweety, you've got a lot to learn.

And the first should be to stay on your own side of the fence if you have nothing accurate to add. We welcome reasoned debate and comments!

tmf

for best results, with any WLS, its best to always follow the dr's instructions on how to use it..

with any WLS surgery, results will vary......no one WLS surgery is better than another....

people should just advise people best of luck as we were all in those new shoes.........once

Agree and welcome back CG

for best results, with any WLS, its best to always follow the dr's instructions on how to use it..

with any WLS surgery, results will vary......no one WLS surgery is better than another....

people should just advise people best of luck as we were all in those new shoes.........once

Welcome back CG! Good to see you:)

I would trust Jean McMillan's opinions any day of the week... she has been there and done that.. There are many long term banders on here and some with complications.. I do not want anyone to be rude and negative about the band ... If you like the sleeve that is fine, but don't degrade and be negative to anyone who wishes to have lapband.. That is the very reason I almost left this site because too many sleeve patients were bashing the banders.. We all have our own issues and demons otherwise we wouldn't have had to go to drastic measures such as surgery to lose weight so as TMF says get off your high horse and trot on back to the sleeve forum...Thanks

Shelly, go look at all the patients revising from the band to the sleeve on the sleeve forums. The band simply isn't as successful for people, as a whole. This is why the Mayo Clinic no longer offers it, and Allergan is trying to sell their own product (the LapBand.) I'd gently suggest the sleeve, personally. I'm a week out from being sleeved and feeling great. Good luck with your decision.

I would suggest your conclusions are based on nothing but hearsay and rumor. You don't offer any documentation as to why the Mayo Clinic does not offer banding?

Allergan sold the lapband division earlier this month and businesses selling off divisions of their own companies is not a rarity. For all you know they made a profit? So please stick to the facts when posting.

And, you won't see anyone revising from the sleeve to back to normal(or the band) now will you?

This exchange is an excellent illustration of why combining different WLS forums into a single site was not a good idea...IMHO.

I have not visited the sleeve forum, because it does not have relevance to me or my journey to restored health and weight loss. And I can understand someone who has just gotten the sleeve done might be passionate about their choice of WLS...however, by all commonly regarded standards you are still in the healing stages post op, and have much to learn as you travel on your journey. You are not yet what this forum would consider a "veteran".

On the LapBand forum, we do tend to call someone out who makes assertions regarding statistics, giving others medical information without credentials, documented medical studies, the reasoning behind significant business decisions without first hand knowledge. And some other areas, but you get my drift.

If you believe everything you read online without looking for the validated information to back up the claim, then you are just stating hearsay. That can be capricious and dangerous. On the LapBand forum, we do tend want to know the origin of information posted here. Whether it be through your experiences, information given to you by your surgeon, reading documented journal studies, here we tend to want to know that what is posted has a reasonable probability of being accurate.

Why? Because we want the information on the LapBand forum to be as accurate as possible. We want the "newbies" to feel that what is posted here can be believed. And we encourage one on one discussions with your own physician to answer medical questions. I am retired from a medical allied career, and it is irresponsible and unethical to advise others about what type of surgery to choose without the proper medical credentials to do so. And most physicians would never make such a long term determination without first examining the patient and discussing with the patient, the patient's goals and expectations.

So, this post is not to knock anyone down, only to share important forum protocol. So that we can all do our best to be individually successful with our weight loss journeys and get along reasonably well with the "public" side of our forum participation.

Wishing you well as you begin your weight loss journey...

Seriously guys and gals I highly doubt Shelly (you know the original poster) started this thread to provoke a WLS flame war. We all have opinions and you know what they say about opinions.

Regardless of what WLS Shelly has chosen for herself I believe we can all agree that we ALL wish her the best of luck and much success in her journey!! I look forward to hearing her story whether it be with a band or sleeve.

As I do appreciate all of your knowledge it was not my intention to start a heated debate. I think regardless of which wls I choose or anyone for that matter we should be supportive of one another. That's what these forums are all about right? All we can do in life is try and make the best decisions for ourselves.

This exchange is an excellent illustration of why combining different WLS forums into a single site was not a good idea...IMHO. I have not visited the sleeve forum, because it does not have relevance to me or my journey to restored health and weight loss. And I can understand someone who has just gotten the sleeve done might be passionate about their choice of WLS...however, by all commonly regarded standards you are still in the healing stages post op, and have much to learn as you travel on your journey. You are not yet what this forum would consider a "veteran". On the LapBand forum, we do tend to call someone out who makes assertions regarding statistics, giving others medical information without credentials, documented medical studies, the reasoning behind significant business decisions without first hand knowledge. And some other areas, but you get my drift. If you believe everything you read online without looking for the validated information to back up the claim, then you are just stating hearsay. That can be capricious and dangerous. On the LapBand forum, we do tend want to know the origin of information posted here. Whether it be through your experiences, information given to you by your surgeon, reading documented journal studies, here we tend to want to know that what is posted has a reasonable probability of being accurate. Why? Because we want the information on the LapBand forum to be as accurate as possible. We want the "newbies" to feel that what is posted here can be believed. And we encourage one on one discussions with your own physician to answer medical questions. I am retired from a medical allied career, and it is irresponsible and unethical to advise others about what type of surgery to choose without the proper medical credentials to do so. And most physicians would never make such a long term determination without first examining the patient and discussing with the patient, the patient's goals and expectations. So, this post is not to knock anyone down, only to share important forum protocol. So that we can all do our best to be individually successful with our weight loss journeys and get along reasonably well with the "public" side of our forum participation. Wishing you well as you begin your weight loss journey...

I completely agree with you on this. This is a very personal journey for everyone. Heck just the decision for bariatric surgery is a personal one. It is NOT for everyone. I don't promote, nor discourage someone from taking a step to better health. It is important to have all the information about benefits and risks for any of the procedures. But I'm always surprised by how many Pre- Bands feel there is less risk. There is not. Band erosion, band slippage, port infections are real problems that will send you back to the OR in a minute. I know too many Banders that are stuck on tolerating " just soup" or they are throwing up. Talk about nutrient deficiencies! Any of the procedures require following the guidelines of your bariatric team. The problems arise, for any of the procedures, when those guidelines are not followed. I am a medical professional and I work in a bariatric practice. Take your health seriously. Make the changes you need to make. Be responsible for yourself. Don't play games. The decision to have bariatric surgery is a serious one.

If nothing else on this thread is certain, it's clear that you didn't intend to start a bonfire. Unfortunately, that kind of thing happens in online forums from time to time - not just on bariatric sites, but on sites devoted to topics as varied as books, cooking, and exercise. You've gotten some useful, supportive replies to this thread, so it was worth posting it. I hope your future bariatricpal conversations are less contentious!

As I do appreciate all of your knowledge it was not my intention to start a heated debate. I think regardless of which wls I choose or anyone for that matter we should be supportive of one another. That's what these forums are all about right? All we can do in life is try and make the best decisions for ourselves.