Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gross, bathroom question

I'm six days out and up until today i was having " baby" poos. Like they were kind of mushy, really teeny, tiny and not a problem. They slid out, barely made a splash. I also only had them once, maybe twice a day. They felt almost solid and looked solid in the toilet.

Then today i got take out from Olive Garden. Since i am allowed to have cream Soups as long as there are no chunks, i ordered Zuppa Toscana and used a strainer to get all the little bits out. I confess i ate 12 oz in about an hour a little too fast because i got a stomach ache.

Anyway i felt like i had to poo bad so i rushed to the toilet,, nothing. Then an hour later my stomach starts gurgling and feeling gassy. I rush to the bathroom with a cramping gut and my poo feels and sounds like pure liquid. My gut churns and cramps until about 20 minutes later everything is out of me and i geel better.

Wth? Is it the OG Soup? (I strained it!). Is this normal and my body just hadnt started producing poo yet and now it's catching up? Should i start expecting this everytime i eat now? Is this the dumping i keep hearing about? (I dont mean to freak out but it's like my body is brand new and i am missing some pages out of the instruction manual)

I had my bathroom incident at 1:55. It's now almost 8 and all i've had was Water, pudding and my usual trader joe's Soup. I felt a little gas so i ran into the bathroom and while it wasnt nearly as much, i just had my second liquid poo of the day. It just shot right out. Thank god i didnt fart, i'd have messed my pants.

Is this from the OG soup or typical full liquid diet behavior?

The OG Soups are too rich for you right now. Try again in a month and stick with Minestrone, which is not as rich as Toscana. Despite the word Cream in it, soups with a lot of fats will be rough on you right now. Milk based cream Soup will be fine, but avoid real cream.

For now, keep with Campbell's cream soups, like cream of chicken, etc. they are mild enough for your new tummy. After a few weeks it will be better.

The OG Soups are too rich for you right now. Try again in a month and stick with Minestrone, which is not as rich as Toscana. Despite the word Cream in it, soups with a lot of fats will be rough on you right now. Milk based cream Soup will be fine, but avoid real cream.

For now, keep with Campbell's cream soups, like cream of chicken, etc. they are mild enough for your new tummy. After a few weeks it will be better.

Thanks NMJG. I am kicking myself that I didn't ask my nutritionist this stuff before my surgery. Now I'm hitting all these road blocks and feel like I'm feeling my way along in the dark and she appears to be out of town/on vacation because when I called her office, it goes to voice mail and she didn't answer my email.

I'll stay away from OG and other fast food soups and continue with my TJ's. I've been eating those since the 25th and haven't had any problems.

I also hate to add this, but I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago, and my digestive system (aka poops) have never been quite the same. Strangely, the surgery has meant that instead of having liquid BMs (generally somewhat explosive) each day, I maybe have them every few days.

Others have said that this regulates further out. I wasn't normal to begin with, so I couldn't tell you. Yes, the fat content of your food may have something to do with it. Then again, maybe not? Mine always seem to hit as the first BM of the day and that is not a time that I have ever traditionally loaded up on fat. Good luck. You're not alone. As Lipstick Lady says, never trust a fart.

the first rule for no-gallbladder people....eat low fat. i hear this from all my female friends and family members who no longer have theirs. Bile is the main substance responsible for the breaking down of fat in the digestive system. The gallbladder is the organ that gets the bile from the liver and stores it until needed, so no GB means any fat shoots straight through with very little deconstruction. sounds like you are up close and personal with this!

i always had pretty normal poops until i had a colonoscopy in september. up until i had my surgery poo-ing was a hard and painful situation if ya know what i mean. i was scared to death that i would continue like that and rupture something trying to go. i take Fiber gummies every day and so far, so good.

janet

the first rule for no-gallbladder people....eat low fat. i hear this from all my female friends and family members who no longer have theirs. Bile is the main substance responsible for the breaking down of fat in the digestive system. The gallbladder is the organ that gets the bile from the liver and stores it until needed, so no GB means any fat shoots straight through with very little deconstruction. sounds like you are up close and personal with this! i always had pretty normal poops until i had a colonoscopy in september. up until i had my surgery poo-ing was a hard and painful situation if ya know what i mean. i was scared to death that i would continue like that and rupture something trying to go. i take Fiber gummies every day and so far, so good. janet

Actually since the gall bladder is gone, the bile goes straight from the liver to the intestines without the gall bladder "holding tank". The bile is used up digesting fat and if it doesn't encounter any fat, it causes osmotic diarrhea. Avoiding fat won't help. I speculate that having a little fat each meal might help for those with no GB who have diarrhea. I eat very low fat and still have watery diarrhea several times a day almost 8 months post-op. I had my gall bladder removed last month and it neither helped nor hurt the diarrhea, but at least I won't have to worry about gallstone attacks anymore.

Edited by mistysj

Fat content of my meals matters less than how long it has been since I last ate. The more empty my system prior, the more likely the diarrhea.