Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea & Aversion to Food 4 wks Out

Hello Sleevers,

Help?

At about 4 weeks out from surgery, I went from being able to comfortably eat my Protein shakes and little bits of soft food, to feeling nauseated almost constantly. The though of putting anything in my mouth makes me gag. It's been a little better in the past couple of days - I feel like I've got small windows (usually 2) in the day when I can eat something, but it can't just be anything, it has to be something sweet. For example, if I drink Water plain, it makes me really nauseated. This was never a problem for me before - I love water! Lately, the only way I can get it down is to mix it with cranberry juice. chicken and other meat has become way too heavy for me, and I can no longer tolerate my Protein Shakes.

As a result of all this, I've been getting about 200 calories per day for the past 5-6 days and not even close to the amount of Protein I need.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've started taking both Omeprazole and Zantac, thinking it was acid. I burp a lot, so I've been taking gas-x for gas. I was thinking maybe I developed an issue with dairy, so I cut that out but it didn't help. Any advice or insight? I'm really starting to worry about getting so little calories and, on average, only 15g of protein.

Thanks.

This is all common stuff, honey. You are not alone and it does suck. Luckily, the next month will be much easier. Lots of people have the Water thing. Try zero calorie Vitamin Water, Crystal light, Powerade, and water with a touch of juice is fine. Do everything you can to get in 64 oz. Personally, I find warm drinks like tea much easier to get down than cold drinks, so try that. I drink a ton of herbal tea.

For Protein, try nonfat cottage cheese, kefir, Greek or Icelandic yogurts. These are all very high Protein and go down easy. tuna salad with fat free mayo or Miracle Whip is good. Skip the celery, tho. Try some soft cooked eggs. Look up Gamer Girl's recipes, she has lots of good soft high protein ideas. Also try sample packs of different brands of protein. What you liked presurgery may well make you nauseous now. Try hemp or pea protein, well as whey and soy. Just try to stick with protein isolates at this point. The protein is much more available, which is what you need right now. Try powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth protein and cheese Sauce and some of the Hot Cocoa Proteins. Mixing it up every day helps. Also, don't forget a nice glass of nonfat milk if all else fails. Warm milk is so nice at bedtime and gives you protein through the night. Best of luck to you!

Great ideas from NMJG. As for the Omeprazole, for How long, and how much are you taking? My surgeon sent us home with 40mg/day for 2 months with strict orders not to stop early. Slvrsax was at OCC same time as me and she had bad nausea issues. One of the docs there switched her to a liquid PPI (ryoban) which helped immensely.