Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any musicians?? Need some advice..

I am scheduled to be banded April 10. I play flute and have a gig on the 21st. Anybody have any ideas on if I'd have the breath to play by then??

Judy

Teachlady-

That is part of the beauty of this process, it is MINIMALLY INVASIVE. I had my surgery as an out-patient on a Friday and was back up rolling in no time. I think I even went to work the following Monday. I play guitar, so the flute may be a bit different, as it requires the use of your stomach muscles, I'd imagine. But I'd imagine that within 3 days at the very most, you'll be fine.

Good Luck and best wishes!

Thanks so much ABP...

I sure hated to disappoint the flute quartet and have to back out of the gig. But I also didn't want to have to move my surgery date if I didn't have to. Guess I'll have to ahem......... play it by ear!!!

I'm hoping the flute playing will involve more lung power than stomach power!

I'm a singer....I'd say you should be fine by the 21st for the gig. After my surgery they gave me this thing to blow in for a week. If you get one...really use it, it helps to get those deep breaths going. If not, just practice breathing deeply everyday. You'll be great in no time!!!

Good luck!!!!

michele

I am a singer and had to go back to work eight days after surgery. The performance aspect of singing was a bit exhausting, but the breath management and support was not difficult. I was afraid that I would injure something, but my doctor assured me it was fine to jump back into singing.

Thanks for the replies. You've eased my mind. I'll just try and get as much practicing in before the 10th as possible so I gradually work back into it for the 21st.

I play the flute as well and I didn't notice any difference in breathing. My only trouble was a little pain in my left shoulder (refered pain from the gas they use to puff up your abdomen during surgery). Even that didn't bother me enough to not play. You know how when you have a cold and are sneezing and coughing, then you start to play and you don't sneeze while you're playing? You just go into the music zone and a tornado can whiz by and you wouldn't notice!

Good luck with your surgery! Maybe you are hoping to have more air after losing weight as I am.

Take care!

Great to hear from you Annie. One of the members of our flute quartet is a doctor and she was giving me all these bad vibes yesterday after our last conert. She said.. "oh you won't be in any condition to play... there could always be complications". Nice downer on her part!! So I came here and got the answers I was hoping for. Plus my son in law who is a PA said.. it's laprascopic... not like opening you up!!! duh!! You'll be fine. ( I love that boy!!)

Stick with your gig. Maybe do a rehersal a few days before to see how you hold up. You can always have someone on standby just in case you aren't able to do it. But once you get in the music zone you'll be great.

What kind of music do you play? Some of my dearest friends are musicians full time. (they actually make a living at it)

My now deceased dear husband was a professional trumpet player. he was classically trained, had a degree in trumpet performance, and made most of his living playing in the horn section of rock/funk groups, but also subbed with the local symphony and played the circus and broadway shows that came to town. his first love, though was big band jazz. I used to tell him he was born about 40 years too late.

so your post made me really think of him. I'm going to get the LB done, it is the last thing to repair my life after the hell of his 2.5 year cancer battle and death - I've got my depression under control, I'm moving to a more manageable house, and alot of my bothersome stressed related health problems are getting better (such as the awful allergies). I was just sitting here thinking that he'd be supportive of me doing this and would probably do it himself. then I saw your post.

He died at 40 - just 40 years old - LUNG CANCER. he was a smoker. An overweight, asthmatic, cigarette smoking horn player. who spent alot of time gigging in smokey bars. looking back I guess he was doomed almost. But had a heart of gold . . .

anyway, try your best to play - I bet you can do it! And best of luck!

Stick with your gig. Maybe do a rehersal a few days before to see how you hold up. You can always have someone on standby just in case you aren't able to do it. But once you get in the music zone you'll be great.

What kind of music do you play? Some of my dearest friends are musicians full time. (they actually make a living at it)

Our flute quartet is called Wind Song.. appropriate, eh?? We play a variety of music. We had a concert yesterday and played things like Puttin' on the Ritz, Mississippi Rag, Bryn-y-Celyn (Celtic), a Schubert Sonata, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and Tico-Tico No Fuba. A rich mixture, plus each one of us did a number by ourselves. I did Ashokan Farewell and An Cailin Fionn, two Celtic numbers.. One member did jazz, one did a Native American soliloquy and other did classis along with a bassoon and piano player. I just sent my flute to be overhauled so come April 20, I should have not only a new flute, but be on the way to a new body!!!

My now deceased dear husband was a professional trumpet player. he was classically trained, had a degree in trumpet performance, and made most of his living playing in the horn section of rock/funk groups, but also subbed with the local symphony and played the circus and broadway shows that came to town. his first love, though was big band jazz. I used to tell him he was born about 40 years too late.

so your post made me really think of him. I'm going to get the LB done, it is the last thing to repair my life after the hell of his 2.5 year cancer battle and death - I've got my depression under control, I'm moving to a more manageable house, and alot of my bothersome stressed related health problems are getting better (such as the awful allergies). I was just sitting here thinking that he'd be supportive of me doing this and would probably do it himself. then I saw your post.

He died at 40 - just 40 years old - LUNG CANCER. he was a smoker. An overweight, asthmatic, cigarette smoking horn player. who spent alot of time gigging in smokey bars. looking back I guess he was doomed almost. But had a heart of gold . . .

anyway, try your best to play - I bet you can do it! And best of luck!

Awwwwwwwww I'm so sorry about your husband, 40 is so very young to die...but you sound like you have many beautiful memories of him. I'm so glad you are honoring him by taking care of yourself .

Thanks for your encouragement and I offer you the same. You CAN do it!