Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting a fill and still over eating

what size band do you have? i have 7.5 in a 14 cc band and only sometime fill restriction. i'm hopeful i am close to where i need to be as i do sometimes feel my band now.. i get another fill on the 30.

i have also found that you have to take things slow and really listen to your body/band. this weekend i really paid attention to my band/body and only ate when i felt through hunger. ate it slowly chewed well and was able to stop at the right portion size this has been a first for me. i'm usually in too much of a rush and will eat to get it over and done with. which i'm realizing has been my biggest issue as it has allowed me to eat more than i should. being pretty new to this my only advise would be to slow down an listen and depending on the number of fills you have had and band size you may still need a few more adjustments to get you where you need to been.

keep up the good work.

I truly don't remember the size of my band but I was at 8cc and it was too tight at times and was having acid and vomiting so they took out 2cc which put me at 6. But after a month I noticed how bad I was over eating even with chewing slow so today I added a cc and it truly feels no different. This is my 3rd year with my band and this is the first time I feel zero restrictions I feel bottomless and it's scary .... My self control seems to have gone out the window and that isn't normal for me I was 275 before and dropped down to 168 which was only a month ago that I went to the dr and now after the dr today I found out I'm 180 Very scary .

I truly don't remember the size of my band but I was at 8cc and it was too tight at times and was having acid and vomiting so they took out 2cc which put me at 6. But after a month I noticed how bad I was over eating even with chewing slow so today I added a cc and it truly feels no different. This is my 3rd year with my band and this is the first time I feel zero restrictions I feel bottomless and it's scary .... My self control seems to have gone out the window and that isn't normal for me I was 275 before and dropped down to 168 which was only a month ago that I went to the dr and now after the dr today I found out I'm 180 Very scary .

deep breaths it will be ok.. my thoughts are perhaps another small fill will do the trick. if 8 was too tight and 7 ins't doing much perhaps somewhere in between will find that magic place. It is so darn easy to gain the lbs. your not alone this site has great support and advise.. it's been a real struggle for me although it's only been a little over 3mts this weekend even though i don't feel any true restriction has been what i feel as my first success at behaving how i should.

I know you have heard this a lot on here but just because you can eat more you shouldn't. You have to measure your portions out to a cup and that is all. I would never eat regular food after a fill. Most of us are on Clear Liquids at least for 24 hours after a fill, then mushies, then back to solids. Fills sometimes do not take affect for a couple of weeks. Do not test your band. You are not giving yourself enough time while eating to feel satisfied. I know it's hard because everyone is used to eating fast but you have to learn to take 30 minutes to eat and at that time whatever is left leave it. Set your alarm on your phone for 30 minutes, take that long to eat and what every you have left throw it out. The problem I see is that your fill is going to kick in and you are going to have one hell of a stuck episode.

Eh, 10 lbs or so is nothing over the holidays for me. Unless you're so tight that you seldom feel hunger, this time of year can be difficult. Gear up for the New Year and look for those satiety signals.

tmf

i was thinking along the same lines as cheryl when i read this post. be careful. even though you have had the band for awhile, getting a fill for you is no different than one for us beginners. slow and easy after a fill. give yourself time to experience the what fill you have. also remember it is up to you to limit the quanity you put in your pouch. good luck

Hello Everyone,

It is great to hear your stories and share your experiences. I was banded on Sept 29th and lost 25 lbs so far, but gained 8 over the holidays. I had a fill two weeks ago and haven't felt much restriction yet. I realize that overeating is a challenge linked to emotions and I need help with not eating high calories foods when I'm unhappy.

Any suggestions from those in the same situation as me are welcomed.

Mellow

Hello Everyone,

It is great to hear your stories and share your experiences. I was banded on Sept 29th and lost 25 lbs so far, but gained 8 over the holidays. I had a fill two weeks ago and haven't felt much restriction yet. I realize that overeating is a challenge linked to emotions and I need help with not eating high calories foods when I'm unhappy.

Any suggestions from those in the same situation as me are welcomed.

Mellow

Don't feel bad, 25 pounds is great! Just make sure you keep getting fills until you reach your green zone and then good things are supposed happen. The holidays are difficult and it is easy for anyone to gain a bit. Just keep your meals small and mostly Protein.

I was banded on September 27 and have had 3 small fills on an completely empty band. I have not lost any weight since post op. I only have 2.7 c.c's in my band, but it was VERY tight after surgery. I feel like I am getting to the green zone and starting to feel the benefits of my band finally! I bet the next fill will be it!