Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just want to say.....

Without directly responded to any one person on any of several threads....I just want to say............

I am reading post after post after post about stress levels dealing with Holiday foods, temptations, reverting back to old habits,..etc.....

When I read these posts, the ONLY thing that cones to mind is WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BAND???? Is that not why we endured this surgery?

Yet no one even mentions it...as if it does not exist...

When you chose to have this surgery, did you not have some expectations as to what this will do for you? Why did we have this surgery? Seriously!!!

Just saying....I'm a happy Bander....Happy because the very things that made me fat, have been or are being dealt with by Bariatric Surgery....If I could have done any of this on my own, trust me, I would not want some artificial thing wrapped around my gut....

Bariatric Surgery is a MAJOR THING....don't sell it short, or worse yet, abandon it....

Edited by B-52

Hi B-52,

This holiday and during all my stress the band is my LIFE SAVER!!! (No not the fruity sugary ones that decorate the cakes this time of year!)

I have to tell you though that the band does not go around my head, or my heart and when stress levels rise it's easy to fall into those bad habits if you allow yourself to.

Sometimes we do fall because we are human, but the band can be our life raft, our foot hold to get ourselves out of there and remember that this is where we came from not where we want to be.

Having had the surgery being able to see my scars in the mirror (and I am grateful for the scars! I have had other surgeries that left invisible in my belly button scars and they do not teach the lesson as well let me tell you!) feeling that port and knowing that the band is there for me gives me the tremendous courage that it takes to get through all the things that have tried to break me and drag me backwards.

So yes while we all have stress some extreme and life altering stress that has to be dealt with. When it comes to food, we have a life saver built in and when it seems that all is sugar plum fairies and candyland, we can find a way through it to onederland!

This is sad.....

I know for me...the band is EVERYTHING....and it is the same today or tomorrow, as it has been for quite some time...th bnd does not know if it's Christmas, or the 4th of July, or I'm on a cruise....it will keep on doing what it does everyday....

I have absolutely no fear with the Holidays, all the parties, etc...sure my head may desire all the foods and treats offered, and I will "Taste" as much as possible regardless of what it is...people went out of their way preparing these things for me and others to enjoy...and I will, and then compliment them for their contribution.......but the band will keep things in check and indulgence and gluttony is out of the question.....as it is any other day....

I have said it 100 times before....I am NOT on a diet.....

Why were YOU banded???

Edited by B-52

See you said you will taste things. So the band is not completely restraining you. So for those of us that aren't at goal yet and therefore still carefully managing our calories those little tastes do add up. Now will there be enough tastes to cause weight gain? Probably not if the band is properly adjusted but there might not be a loss on the scale. And then remember how many on this site are newbies. Their bands probably are not properly adjusted. So the band is not fully working. And they know that a taste can turn into a full fledge bite that can turn into a high calorie meal. These are some reasons why people are struggling. Just think back to your early struggles and you'll find some understanding.

I am a newbie ... Banded on July 24th! I have 6.2 cc's in my 10 cc band! I am not at green yet but do have some restriction! I have had to get my head in the game... Meaning I have to tell myself that I want to be healthy MORE then I want that cookie or Piece of pie or that clump of homemade Mac and cheese! I am not always successful in that but on most days it works! I agree with b52... I am not on a diet! I am learning to eat the way I should have eaten my entire life! I know how hard it is... My body isn't my hardest struggle... It's my head! Still getting my head into a new way if thinking about food! Merry Christmas all and thanks for being here for me everyday!

I think it's important to remember this journey is different for everyone!! While you might find this journey easy and stress free, others may not. For me, the band does it's job beautifully, but (and I can only speak for myself), *I* still have to have self control!! I still deal with emotional eating, and eating out of stress. I still have to stop myself from having a second, or even a third cookie, because even properly adjusted, I find those Cookies to slide right down (and they taste so darn good!). I'm so happy for you that you don't have to worry anymore. That's great!! I hope someday I can be 100% worry free. Until then, I will continue to do what working for me, which is listen carefully to my band, stop eating when I feel satisfied, and I'll continue tracking my calories.

I'm not on a diet either, but I'm learning a whole new lifestyle when it comes to eating. I'll do whatever it takes to make it work, even if it isn't always easy peasy!

I'd love to say I'm not on a diet but that wouldn't be entirely true. The band does restrict the quantity but I have to restrict the quality. Since I'm trying to keep my calories on the lower side in order to lose weight, not just maintain, the choices in make are even more important. If I were at goal, I could sample and taste and do fine, but as stated above this could add up fast and stall all weight loss. The band will work but we still have to do our shares.

See you said you will taste things. So the band is not completely restraining you. So for those of us that aren't at goal yet and therefore still carefully managing our calories those little tastes do add up. Now will there be enough tastes to cause weight gain? Probably not if the band is properly adjusted but there might not be a loss on the scale. And then remember how many on this site are newbies. Their bands probably are not properly adjusted. So the band is not fully working. And they know that a taste can turn into a full fledge bite that can turn into a high calorie meal. These are some reasons why people are struggling. Just think back to your early struggles and you'll find some understanding.

Whether I taste something or not has nothing to do with the band...I taste things because they Taste Good...it is Christmas..and I choose to taste them....I enjoy the taste....

No Offense, but just by reading your post it is reflective of someone who is new at this...and your post is indicative of what I am saying...where is everyone else????

It is a lifestyle...NOT A DIET....

It is disheartening, on a forum with 1000's of members...everyone is talking about their fears of the holidays, the foods, overeating,.....

Everyone is talking how to combat these situations just as if this was a Weight watchers website, or a Jenny Craig help forum...there is a reason I had this surgery....and situations like the holidays is but one example...

NO ONE is talking about how the Band, or this Weight Loss Surgery is helping them....

Sure...of course I had my struggle...within those first 4-6 months of adjusting....

BUT...

Is EVERYBODY on this website NEW???? DID ALL THE VETERANS LEAVE ????

This was touched upon in another thread, were eventually you realize there is not much left here you have in common, or can learn from, and then move on......

Edited by B-52

Good Morning B-52, and Merry Christmas. First I would like to say I enjoy your posts. This has been the first year I have not worried about the holidays and how many pounds I might gain. I have not restricted myself with what I have eaten or will eat. My band and body has done that for me. Band with how much and body with what I am eating. For example, since I don't eat as much sweets my body doesn't like it as much as mind thinks I will so am only able to eat a bite or two. I have not met my personal goal that set for myself when I started this journey but have met my doctors goal. I have discussed this with my husband and may have to adjust my personal goal weight. Per my doctor if I wanted to reach the original goal I would need to spend several hours a day in the gym and reduce calorie intake. I am happy where I am now. What a difference a year makes. I hung pictures on my fridge the other day from Christmas last year and this year. What a reality check. It is amazing. Again, I enjoy your posts and look forward to reading more.

Guess ill get flamed for this, but don't really care. B52 this is supposed to be a support forum and right now you're being pretty unsupportive and sounding very critical and judgmental to those who aren't where you are. have recently hit green and thanks to my plication have never had to experience bandster hell per say. But lots of folks are not in the green and lots of them are still in bandster hell and are looking for encouragement, not to be told they are naive or scowled upon. I'm not getting the reason for your posts. I don't believe you are looking down you nose on folks, but it could be perceived by some that way.

Edited by SandyM

Holidays, parties, bbqs, or any social gathering do NOT make me afraid. I AM in control as long as I chew well, take small bites, and listen when it's time to stop.

Edited by HotButterFly

Guess ill get flamed for this, but don't really care. B52 this is supposed to be a support forum and right now you're being pretty unsupportive and sounding very critical and judgmental to those who aren't where you are.

Sandy, I think what B52 is trying to say is not that the people who are struggling are bad people, but that all he is seeing is posts from people who are struggling, and not from the large groups of Veteran lurkers here who are working the band through the Holidays. Those Veteran posts were significant to my success as I struggled in the early days of my band. Yes there are struggles, but once you start to learn to live with your band, those struggles aren't as hard. For instance, I just got back from a work assignment in Hawaii, I'm on an expense account, I am away from my normal routine, and I am surrounded by fantastic restaurants. Pre-band I would have gained 5 - 10 pounds during that week. This time? I was down 2 pounds. How did I do it? I listened to my band and when it said I was done, I left the food on my plate and was done. No diet, no counting, just the band.

That doesn't mean that I never count calories, or log food. But that this time I didn't and the band worked for me. This is how many veterans live, and I believe these are the people that B-52 wants to stop lurking, and share their successes. Some will label it as bragging, but who the hell cares what they think? People need to know that the band works.

I do understand we need more veterans posting instead of lurking, but posting, advising and encouraging. as I stated, to those still struggling, it could appear as critism of how they are managing their weight loss. To them it is still a struggle and a diet as they are learning what to eat, how to get their Protein and avoids stalls and manage their hunger. To say just let the band do all the work is fine but one can easily sabatoge their own weight loss if they throw it all to the wind and don't eat healthy. While some banders manage their eating differently due to the band being selective about what they can and cannot eat, I'm in the green and haven't found anything my band rejects if I chew properly and eat slowly. Some on here say they can't eat Breakfast, I have no problem with this either. Just pointing out that this journey isn't the same for all of us.

I've had 2 WLS procedures (the band and the sleeve) and neither of them have cured my obesity or any of the emotional stuff that contributed to my obesity. I'm 18 pounds below my goal weight thanks to WLS, but I still experience stress and temptation during the holidays - in fact, all year 'round - because unlike B52, I'm a human being.

Well I am still confused then because like B-52 I eat what I want but thanks to the band I have more control. I just came off a two week vacation and I had all the things I wanted just no where near the volume when I was preop. I had Cookies, candy heck I even had french fries while in NY playing tourist. So...is it my band or is it will power? Is it both? I am not kidding when I say my head hunger is practically gone. I actually lost weight for the first time in my life during the holidays. I've lost 13lbs since Thanksgiving! That is not bragging...I'm seriously confused.