Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2013 Bandsters Check In

Thought I would make a thread for the November 2013 Bandsters to check in.

I was banded on November 7th and had my first fill last week. I am still getting used to my new lifestyle. I have lost about 20 pounds since my pre-surgery prep. I haven't had anyone ask me if I have lost weight, but I can tell a difference in my clothes.

I had an incident yesterday with getting "stuck" while eating some baked fish. I think I was eating too fast and maybe had too much on my fork. It was not a pleasant feeling. We were in a fast food place, and I felt like I wanted to throw up. I tried not to panic, took sips of Water and finally got over it.

I need to step up my exercise, I have a DVD for "walk in home". It is for beginners and has 5 different miles you can do. You can do 1 or up to all 5 depending on your comfort level.

All my incisions are healing nicely except for one, which split open on one corner after I had my staples out. I showed it to my doctor at my first fill and he did not seem to feel it was a problem. I've been putting peroxide on it and Vitamin E oil on the others.

All the rest of you November bandsters, how are you doing?

Hi Brown Eyes, sounds like you're doing great! I was banded 11/5 and today I'm going for a third fill. I'm doing well but finding this season of holiday festivity a little hard as there's so much going on, food and alcohol everywhere, etc. I'm still looking for a pattern to my daily life as far as when to eat. I'm not hungry in the mornings so I may be a two meal a day person. Have enjoyed shakes sometimes in the AM but not sure whether to incorporate that into my regular routine or if it's better to not "drink" my food. I am liking chicken and fish -- smoked salmon is a good food for me. Veggies can be a little tough but I just need to chew a lot. I had one stuck episode weeks ago and hope to avoid that. Eating beets too fast, went into an epic 20 minute hiccup fest followed by throwing up. I also want to bump my exercise up as I have slacked off a little due to very cold weather and busy holiday season. I am a bit stressed and want to keep my determination turned up high as I know that this time -- six weeks out or so -- can be difficult for some and it is coinciding with Christmas, etc. Need to stay relaxed and continue to choose myself first. Best wishes to all and thanks so much for creating a place for us to check in!

It is hard during this time of year! But if we can get through it, then we are golden! You are doing great too and I love your positive attitude! Good luck with your fill today, I don't go for my 3rd until February. It is nice to have others at around the same stage as me. Sorry you had a bad stuck episode, I really don't want to have another! I like my Protein shakes too, just starting putting in some fruit in mine, first fruit cocktail (sugar free), and then another batch with a banana.

Hi ladies!! I was banded 11/18 and so far I have lost 21lbs since pre-op. After surgery I did two weeks of full liquids, two weeks of mushy and now I'm eating solids. My incisions are doing well, except for one that it's taking longer to heal.

So far so good, no throwing up or stock episodes. I did expirience mild chest pain( like esopahgus spasm) I called the Dr. and I was told that I was problably eating and drinking too fast. I practiced eating slow and the pain went away.

From time to time I also feel pain in my left shoulder not sure if band related or just muscle pain.

I have been trying to do at least do some cardio 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes and I have 4pounders weight and I try to do them at least twice a week. I haven't had any fills yet, I think my surgeon wants to see first if I really needed. So far I eat a cup worth of food every 5 hours 3x a day and I'm allowed a snack but I haven't had the need to go for it. My TOM is around the corner and I start feeling hungry a little sooner maybe 4 to 4 1/2 hours after my lst meal. So I don't think is that bad.

My next follow up is on 1/14. Let see what they will do. To be honest I hope I can continue doing this without the fills but if I need it I'll be getting them.

So Glad to hear that you are also doing well!!

Ps. I do need Breakfast Ideas. I been having eggs & oatmeals. It's getting a little boring!

Thanks.

yaya you are doing great! You really have the exercise thing down. That's what I need to hear to motivate me! I could use some Breakfast ideas too. Just because it's breakfast, doesn't mean you have to eat breakfast foods! Switch it up and eat something you would eat for dinner. Maybe some turkey sausage crumbled into a scrambled egg? Maybe a quiche that you fix ahead of time and portion out to eat during the week? Cottage cheese with fruit? Turkey and cheese rollups is another thought. Thanks for checking in!

yaya you are doing great! You really have the exercise thing down. That's what I need to hear to motivate me! I could use some breakfast ideas too. Just because it's breakfast, doesn't mean you have to eat breakfast foods! Switch it up and eat something you would eat for dinner. Maybe some turkey sausage crumbled into a scrambled egg? Maybe a quiche that you fix ahead of time and portion out to eat during the week? Cottage cheese with fruit? Turkey and cheese rollups is another thought. Thanks for checking in!

Yummm! Thanks for the ideas! ;)

I got motivated and walked a mile! I feel so much better that I did it! B)

I got motivated and walked a mile! I feel so much better that I did it! B)

You Go Girl!!

Hi I got my Lap-band on Nov 18 also. Been doing pretty good all in all. My incision hasn't healed all the way, so I hope I can get my 1st fill next Monday as scheduled. I am so hungry all the time. I am trying very hard to stick to the plan.

I was told I can eat Atkins frozen dinners, I found at Safeway. They are Protein and vegetables. They have a couple breakfast Entrees.< /p>

Good luck everyone keep in touch.

Thanks for checking in forwardlooking! I did another mile today. I am having no problem getting my Protein drinks in. Most of the time when I want to snack...I'm not even hungry...but my mind thinks I am! Have to learn to deal with that!

Hello everyone! I was banded November 4 and so far have lost 40 pounds since I started my preoperative diet. I haven't had any fill yet. I go back to doc on 2nd and we'll. See if I need one then. I have had one stuck episode. White meat chicken is not my friend! That and the fact I was probably eating to fast. I am working hard on slowing down; I definitely don't want to do that again. I am eating 3 meals a day, with an occasional fruit snack. I am so glad that I did this for me! For the first time in years I am below 300 pounds and I feel so much better! Thanks for starting this platform giving us a place to keep in touch!

Hi Dottie! Congrats on your success! I have been trying to do better at eating slower myself. Thank you for checking in!

KYBrownEyes thanks for making this thread. This is a great way for all of us to keep in touch. I honestly wish we had our old site back, it was so much more user friendly.

Enough of that......I am doing well. I have not had anymore put in my band. Still the same 2cc from surgery. I did have a post op visit in which I was told I was in starvation mode and was told to eat more because I was possibly hungry between meals because I was not eating enough. What a concept LOL!!! So eating more I am, within my limits. I am loving my band. I hit a mile marker of 50lbs today. 24 from the band!!! Merry Christmas to me :D

I have not had any stuck episodes. I really can eat the same way I did before surgery, just a lot less. I will see my Dr again in late January. She seems to be frugal on fills, so I am not sure if I will be getting on at that time. She seems to look at the whole picture and not really do a fill just to do it and I am glad for that. It will be interesting to see how this story transpires.

I have greek yogurt nearly every morning, sometimes I add in some granola. I have also taken a muffin tin, sprayed non stick spray then put in a slice of deli ham and then crack an egg in the ham slice. Bake it 12 min at 350. Add some salt and pepper and shredded cheese for additional flavor. YUM!!!

Good to see the progress of all my Banding buddies. I am excited to keep in touch with all of you!!!

Hi smpin! good to hear from you! You are doing fantastic! Thanks for checking in! I like your idea with the muffin tin, I will have to try it! I had another stuck episode tonight while eating some roasted chicken. UGH. I guess the more dense meats really get to me. I have got to remember to chew, chew, chew!

good idea about the muffin tin, i will try that soon.