Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz- Does it HAVE to be Enspira?!?

Hi guys,

So I'm getting sleeved with Dr. Ariel Ortiz on Jan 21st and will be starting the pre-op diet on Jan 5.

All of the paperwork I've received from them pushes this Enspira product as the only option and it's EXPENSIVE! If I'm understanding this right, I have to have three shakes per day. Their pre-op package is $124 and it only comes with three shakes which means I'd have to order FIVE of them!!! $620!

These people are out of their goddamn minds.

Anyone here use cheaper shakes with the same Protein requirements?

I was sleeved by dr O on the 19th and used Unjury products.

Each shake container you get with the package has 15 servings, (look at the label on the website) so no, you don't have to order 5 of them. That being said, I did not use them. I drank Premier Protein, and got Unjury and Syntrax unflavored powder to mix in any SF liquid I wanted yo. Also have the Syntrax Matrix vanilla powder that I put in my coffee, or I added different Mio flavors for a variety of flavors. Oh yeah, and Unjury cheese Sauce which I poured over spinach, broccoli, green Beans, etc. thank goodness for our leafy greens options! I seriously never had the same thing as any other day.

If you choose to buy RTD shakes from the store instead of getting the Enspira package, read the labels carefully. Get high Protein, super low carb shakes. Things like Atkins, South Beach, and Ensure are more sugar than anything. Most of the protein powders are OK. Isopure drinks are also good and lots of flavor variety.

Actually, with all the products I bought, including Vitamins, I spent more than what the Enspira preop package cost. But I had a lot more variety to work with.

Edited by Kindle

I just had my surgery at OCC as well and also did not use the Enspira products. I used Premier Protein from costco, I spent about $75.00 for 54 ready to drink shakes. When I received my pre-op diet via e-mail it included the (preferred) Enspira plan as well as a Plan 2 for non Enspira products. When I had my visit with the nutritionist she wanted me on the Enspira products post-op but I politely declined and it didn't seem to be an issue. I work 12 hour days so a ready to drink product works best for me.

Each shake container you get with the package has 15 servings, (look at the label on the website) so no, you don't have to order 5 of them. That being said, I did not use them. I drank Premier Protein, and got Unjury and Syntrax unflavored powder to mix in any SF liquid I wanted yo. Also have the Syntrax Matrix vanilla powder that I put in my coffee, or I added different Mio flavors for a variety of flavors. Oh yeah, and Unjury cheese Sauce which I poured over spinach, broccoli, green Beans, etc. thank goodness for our leafy greens options! I seriously never had the same thing as any other day.

If you choose to buy RTD shakes from the store instead of getting the Enspira package, read the labels carefully. Get high Protein, super low carb shakes. Things like Atkins, South Beach, and Ensure are more sugar than anything. Most of the protein powders are OK. Isopure drinks are also good and lots of flavor variety.

Actually, with all the products I bought, including Vitamins, I spent more than what the Enspira preop package cost. But I had a lot more variety to work with.

Oh...I looked at the pre-op package on their site and for $124.75 and it says 3x shakes included. I figured that meant 3 actual one serving shakes!

How did you like the Premier?

I was sleeved by dr O on the 19th and used Unjury products.

I've heard the Unjury products taste the best...how did you like them?

I just had my surgery at OCC as well and also did not use the Enspira products. I used Premier Protein from costco, I spent about $75.00 for 54 ready to drink shakes. When I received my pre-op diet via e-mail it included the (preferred) Enspira plan as well as a Plan 2 for non Enspira products. When I had my visit with the nutritionist she wanted me on the Enspira products post-op but I politely declined and it didn't seem to be an issue. I work 12 hour days so a ready to drink product works best for me.

Yes I saw that they are sold at Costco. I have one right around the corner. That's a fair price too. It's either Premier or Unjruy...or maybe a little of both!

What kind of veggies did everyone eat?

It says "leafy" but I'm assuming I could also have cucumbers and broccoli?

I had lettuce with flavored vinegar as a dressing. Lots of spinach. Either plain, with Unjury cheese, or mixed in with beef broth and Unjury unflavored powder for a very yummy "hamburger" Soup. I also steamed green Beans and mushrooms. I dipped sliced zucchini, red peppers (I know, not a green veggie) and broccoli in the Unjury cheese sauce and had the same veggies steamed in a little chicken broth one day.

I had both the Unjury and Syntrax unflavored powders. They were about equal... The Unjury maybe mixed a little better. Key to mixing is make sure your liquid isn't too hot and I used a Blender Bottle with a wire whisk ball and never had clumping issues. Available on Amazon. I have an individual smoothie blender, but the blender bottle mixed just as well and easier cleanup.

Any of the RTD shakes were too thick and sweet for me. I always added Water to thin them up. Also mixed the vanilla Protein with 16-20 oz of water instead of 8. I.d have a huge cup of coffee in the morning, consisting of 1 Premier Protein vanilla shake and 8-12 oz Decaf coffee.

Oh yeah, and PB2 was great. I mix 1-2 tablespoons with my vanilla Matrix powder and 20 oz of water. Very yummy. Also good mixed with a chocolate RTD shake. Variety was the key for me. I couldn't have just drank vanilla or chocolate shakes everyday.

I was also taking chewable Source of Life Gold Multivitamin, Calcium, and Iron. I will add in sublingual B12 postop. My preop choices must have been OK cause I lost 20 pounds in 16 days.

I had lettuce with flavored vinegar as a dressing. Lots of spinach. Either plain, with Unjury cheese, or mixed in with beef broth and Unjury unflavored powder for a very yummy "hamburger" Soup. I also steamed green Beans and mushrooms. I dipped sliced zucchini, red peppers (I know, not a green veggie) and broccoli in the Unjury cheese sauce and had the same veggies steamed in a little chicken broth one day.

I had both the Unjury and Syntrax unflavored powders. They were about equal... The Unjury maybe mixed a little better. Key to mixing is make sure your liquid isn't too hot and I used a Blender Bottle with a wire whisk ball and never had clumping issues. Available on Amazon. I have an individual smoothie blender, but the blender bottle mixed just as well and easier cleanup.

Any of the RTD shakes were too thick and sweet for me. I always added Water to thin them up. Also mixed the vanilla Protein with 16-20 oz of water instead of 8. I.d have a huge cup of coffee in the morning, consisting of 1 Premier Protein vanilla shake and 8-12 oz Decaf coffee.

Oh yeah, and PB2 was great. I mix 1-2 tablespoons with my vanilla Matrix powder and 20 oz of water. Very yummy. Also good mixed with a chocolate RTD shake. Variety was the key for me. I couldn't have just drank vanilla or chocolate shakes everyday.

I was also taking chewable Source of Life Gold multivitamin, Calcium, and Iron. I will add in sublingual B12 postop. My preop choices must have been OK cause I lost 20 pounds in 16 days.

Wow!! All of that on pre-op? How phenomenal!

These are amazing tips. I really appreciate all the info!

You are doing fabulously on the weight loss! Congrats! Can't wait to get on the losers bench with you!

Edited by KittyChick

Hi kitty chick

I'm scheduled for the 20th. Maybe I see you around

Hi kitty chick

I'm scheduled for the 20th. Maybe I see you around

I hope so! My brother and I will get there the night of the 20th and stay until the 24th.

Would be cool to meet a fellow sleever in person!

It would...I'm planning to travel by myself so having to try out some shopping would be awesome. Or out in the sun

Kitty Chick don't buy the Enspira. It's so freak king gross. I have 2 unopened bottles. I switched to EAS ready to drink lite. Yum!!