Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hiccups and burping

I was sleeved on the 17 and I can't stop burping/hiccupping. I hurts so bad in my stomach. My entire body jumps. I'm so ready to see my doctor after Christmas. My mouth stays sooo dry, I just feel miserable. I have such a nasty taste. When will I be back to normal? I'm so hungry

Omg Ladyd! I'm going through the same thing. I had mine the same day. The burping was worse during the hospital stay and like a day after but it still occasionally happens now. It still hurts. I've also had dry mouth and I know it's because I'm not getting in 64 ozs. Have you been getting in all 64 ozs? I think, in general, normality will come eventually but don't expect it now. However, I think every day has been better than the one before. I hope that'll you'll be able to say the same thing soon. Sorry Ladyd :/

Yes, it is getting better because the hospital stay was just horrible...I would walk the halls squeezing the nurse assistant's hand because I'd the pain. Today does seem better than yesterday but this burping and dry mouth is terrible. No, I have not been drinking 64oz of Water. Not even near that amount. I'm going to put some Crystal lite in mine so I can start drinking more. I normally love water but with the dry mouth and nasty taste it's just not the same. I'm not sure if I should have had some orange juice but I did drink some. About half a cup with no problem. I think I need flavor.

Yes, it is getting better because the hospital stay was just horrible...I would walk the halls squeezing the nurse assistant's hand because I'd the pain. Today does seem better than yesterday but this burping and dry mouth is terrible. No, I have not been drinking 64oz of Water. Not even near that amount. I'm going to put some Crystal lite in mine so I can start drinking more. I normally love water but with the dry mouth and nasty taste it's just not the same. I'm not sure if I should have had some orange juice but I did drink some. About half a cup with no problem. I think I need flavor.

I have not experienced burping since I have had my surgery, but have seen many people who do. I am 8 weeks out now. I know that hiccups can occur when you drink or eat too fast. When I first had my surgery, I did not care for the taste of plain Water. I added Koolaid flavor drops and still do sometimes. Now, I can drink plain Water also. I still experience dry mouth at night.

Good it does get better. Ladyd, my doctor and nutritionist does not want me to have anything citrus for three months. Probably due to the acidic nature. I didn't ask them why, so this is my guess.

I have not experienced burping since I have had my surgery, but have seen many people who do. I am 8 weeks out now. I know that hiccups can occur when you drink or eat too fast. When I first had my surgery, I did not care for the taste of plain Water. I added Koolaid flavor drops and still do sometimes. Now, I can drink plain Water also. I still experience dry mouth at night.

Good it does get better. Ladyd, my doctor and nutritionist does not want me to have anything citrus for three months. Probably due to the acidic nature. I didn't ask them why, so this is my guess.

I'm going to buy some kool aid drops. After I had the orange juice I thought the acid may have been too much. But it was so much better than everything else I had. Thanks

I can't stop burping/hiccupping. I hurts so bad in my stomach.

lady

OMG

was that you last night making that sound??? ;)

i am sorry your tummy hurts - luckily i didn't have that issue

hiccuping et al is verrrrrry common post op

the first few weeks i was shocked/loud about my hiccups

it slowed down considerably within a couple of months

but at 2 years it does happen if a eat a teeeeeeny bite more than i should :angry:

you might hear that some other people get runny noses :wacko:

i never understood that one, but it happens, just like the hiccupping

this too shall pass!!!!

I just realized you are a newbie at 4 days PO

not being able to drink that much Water happens

it can be hard to drink

but you gotta push the fluids to stay hydrated

fluids at this early stage is even more important than Protein (Protein will come later, soon)

take slow sips, sip and sip some more

warm/room temperature Water works for many

things do get better one day at a time!!!!

"god grant me patience, just hurry up about it ;) "

continue to feel better while you enjoy the wonderful ride to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck

kathy

I had the hiccups when I was in the hospital so bad, but luckily for me they disappeared rather quickly... The nurses didn't seem to be to concerned as this is something that some patients go through... It is hard to get in 64 oz of liquids this soon out of surgery but do concentrate on those Clear Liquids so you don't wind up in the hospital 2 days after surgery due to dehydration like I did, it was awful!!! Walk, walk, walk as much as possible and sip, sip, sip as well. This is so very important this soon after operation!!! Cannot stress it enough!!! Good luck and be patient with yourself...

I got a bad case of the hiccups on the 2nd day post-op. I think I stretched the staple line on my sleeve. It happened a few hours after they took me off the pain meds - preparing me for release. I was in a lot of pain for a few days post-op, because I couldn't stand the taste of the liquid pain meds... they literally made me wretch. But it will get better, good luck.

lady

OMG

was that you last night making that sound??? ;)

i am sorry your tummy hurts - luckily i didn't have that issue

hiccuping et al is verrrrrry common post op

the first few weeks i was shocked/loud about my hiccups

it slowed down considerably within a couple of months

but at 2 years it does happen if a eat a teeeeeeny bite more than i should :angry:

you might hear that some other people get runny noses :wacko:

i never understood that one, but it happens, just like the hiccupping

this too shall pass!!!!

I just realized you are a newbie at 4 days PO

not being able to drink that much Water happens

it can be hard to drink

but you gotta push the fluids to stay hydrated

fluids at this early stage is even more important than Protein (Protein will come later, soon)

take slow sips, sip and sip some more

warm/room temperature Water works for many

things do get better one day at a time!!!!

"god grant me patience, just hurry up about it ;) "

continue to feel better while you enjoy the wonderful ride to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck

kathy

Yes, that was my tummy last night you heard, now it may keep you up again tonight.

I just thought I would be back to normal within a couple of days. I really didn't want to leave the hospital feeling so bad but I knew there wasn't much they could do. I'm due to go back to work on the 2nd but I can't go back like this...I'm on my feet all day. I really thought this was going to be like the two c-sections that was ten years apart. This is worst much worst. And it feels like a baby is moving around inside. I was not prepared for this...Thanks for your words of encouragement, I do need patience.

:-)

I had the hiccups when I was in the hospital so bad, but luckily for me they disappeared rather quickly... The nurses didn't seem to be to concerned as this is something that some patients go through... It is hard to get in 64 oz of liquids this soon out of surgery but do concentrate on those Clear Liquids so you don't wind up in the hospital 2 days after surgery due to dehydration like I did, it was awful!!! Walk, walk, walk as much as possible and sip, sip, sip as well. This is so very important this soon after operation!!! Cannot stress it enough!!! Good luck and be patient with yourself...

Thanks for your advise I'm going to walk more tomorrow in my neighborhood. And force myself to drink Water. Thanks

I got a bad case of the hiccups on the 2nd day post-op. I think I stretched the staple line on my sleeve. It happened a few hours after they took me off the pain meds - preparing me for release. I was in a lot of pain for a few days post-op, because I couldn't stand the taste of the liquid pain meds... they literally made me wretch. But it will get better, good luck.

Thanks

I'm almost 8 weeks out and get hiccups a lot everyday. I don't even have to eat or drink anything and have them but mostly after I eat and I don't overeat. When I start to feel it I stop.