Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet concerns

Hi everyone! I don't have a surgery date yet. I am in the very beginning of this journey. I'm very concerned because I'm always so hungry now! How am I gonna get through the liquid phase? I know this probably seems like a small thing to worry about, but I am worried.

Are you talking about the 2 week liquid preop diet? I wish I had an answer for you. :( I'm probably going to have my surgery in February so my 2 week liquid diet will be coming up soon. I'm absolutely terrified. My hunger is out of control already and I just can't see how I'm going to handle 2 weeks of nothing but Protein shakes. I begged my NUT to be able to at least eat raw veggies, but the answer was no. I'm trying to have a Protein shake for lunch as a kind of "practice" but I find that they don't satisfy me. I'm also not allowed to have caffeine on the preop diet which really stinks.

Like I said I wish I had a more positive answer for you but I don't. I'm interested in what the more experienced folks have to say, as I need all the help I can get!

I used Premier Protein shakes which have 30 grams of Protein. Get it at costco. Was suppose to have 5-7 per day the most that I was able to drink was 4 in a day. I also got To rank Syrup sugar free to add for different flavored drinks. This should fill you up. The other part you need is to wrap your mind around what you are doing. This is for only 2 weeks on your journey to a new and improved self.

Sbailey, do you know how long your pre-op diet is? I had a three day one that included liquid and Protein shakes. When I had my lap band it was for a week and did not include any Protein. You will find that the first few days are the most difficult and it does get easier. Others have food included in their pre-op diet. There is such a variety of what foods you can have and length.

We get through it but sometimes it is a struggle. You may be worrying about something that won't be an issue for you when the time comes. It is a time to start making changes to your diet, because you will need to do so post-op. Think of the reasons why you chose the surgery to help you through this time. Also keep in mind the long-term goals of being health and it helps.

Good luck to both of you and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

SBailey, the key is absolutely to start NOW. I have been on my mandatory supervised 3 month diet. I gave up caffeine, carbonated drinks and am sticking to my diet. I have a Protein drink for Breakfast, one for lunch and I eat a healthy supper. It was difficult getting started but now it is so much easier. I feel better, and If I try to cheat... my stomach knows it and retaliates against me. LOL Think about why you are doing this surgery. This operation is just part of the process, the other part is you sticking to a diet. So you have to wrap your mind around that NOW so you can do it after surgery. Nothing worth doing is easy so keep your eye on the prize and do what you know you need to do.

Hi everyone! I don't have a surgery date yet. I am in the very beginning of this journey. I'm very concerned because I'm always so hungry now! How am I gonna get through the liquid phase? I know this probably seems like a small thing to worry about, but I am worried.

Clearly understood....here is a dirty little secret.... some surgeons will often their patients appetite suppressant's during the two week liquid phase... this will allow some patients to stay on plan and meat their nutrition goals with out sabotaging the opportunity for surgery or the outcome that the surgeon requires...so if you really believe that you will have a difficult Time managing your hunger please work with your surgeon and see if an appetite suppressant could be a solution... good luck there's no doubt that you can do this!

Sheldon

I asked for some pills to help with my appetite during the pre-op diet. They said it could raise blood pressure and was not something they could do close to surgery. So make sure you don't take anything without talking to your doctor.

I admit I did my pre op diet but 3 days before the end I had a cheat day and said goodbye to McDonald's and Burger King . No I did not go to hell. I was sleeved on May 1 2013 and now have lost 123 lbs as of yesterday. I am not an exercise freak or eat next to nothing I eat what I want when I want since week 8. I just have a new relationship with food. You have to like not make make it the love of your life. Don't worry about the damn pre op diet. Some people are on if for 3 days some for 14. Try the shakes and a small Protein for dinner. It will get u through. After the surgery the first 2 weeks you will not want to eat big or real food because your stomach wouldn't want it! Just Water will become your friend.

Wow!!! 123 lbs in a little over 7 months? Good for you! :). That is just great! Did you work out at all? I work out but hate it so much! I wish I enjoyed it. My husband loves it! I know the dr will want me to work out after the surgery and I am cleared for it! I say ick haha!

I had my surgery nov 19 and i was on liquid diet 10 days before surgery first couple days were hard and i had great support of my husband but there were days i cried cause i wanted food. But i new that if i messed up there was a chance the doctor could nick my liver and i didnt need any further problems. Now all is said and done this surgery was best thing i could have done