Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massage and WLS

Am wondering about the effects of massage on our weight losing bodies. I am not a massage therapist or a doctor, but I have some thoughts about the benefits of it, particularly for WLS. Would love to hear others's thoughts on this topic. Of course, I am trying to justify as many massages as my pocketbook can afford, but it is an interesting topic.

My thoughts on why massage is beneficial for WLS (again, purely conjecture here, no data to back any of this up)

It gets your blood, lymph, circulation etc. moving, which can only be beneficial in aiding weight loss

It smooths out fat lumps and helps you lose more evenly

The moisturizing oils smoothed into the skin helps with sagging and loose skin

Makes you feel good and less stressed so you are better able to stay on plan, eat right, and avoid emotional eating or drinking and junk food

Gives you more body awareness, helps you to learn to love your body, improves self image and esteem

So what do y'all think?

I have gotten massages for years. Typically 3 times a month and love them. Had surgery in Sept. not sure if it helps but they feel great!!!! Will continue to get them

I'm with Tampa. Been getting massages twice a month and will continue to do so. My skin has become very dry since my surgery, which I attribute to having almost no fat in my diet, so the massage oil helps for that. But I'd continue to get them even if that wasn't the case, just for the relaxation and the feel-good-ness.

If there is something that gives you great pleasure, feels like a reward, and is good for you then I say do that thing as much as your pocketbook allows! There is so much that is not good for us that we could be spending our money on.

I had my first post op massage yesterday.

No issues. I just told masseuse be gentle on incisions.

Well, I will state that IMHO massage is good for sleevers, so there :D

This is California Kelly's husband Adam & I am a Massage Therapist, Aromatherapist & Instructor & I can't begin to tell you the amazing ranges at which massage will help you through your journey. So much so you really do not have to reach for any justification for getting bodywork done!

First off, the simple yet scientifically proven benefit of reduced cortisol levels (a primary stress hormone) is enough for anybody in modern society to justify massage on a regular basis. Cortisol in long term exposures causes a whole slew of medical problems including weight management challenges.

Second, positive touch. It is amazing the benefits of having a healthy, sympathetically applied touch and what it can do for ones physical, emotional & dare I say spiritual well being.

Third, increased blood & lymph circulation, scar tissue adhesion release, lower blood pressure, increased self awareness & energy are all a part in the reasons massage should be a comprehensive part of your healing regimen which can continue on to be a part of your wellness plan post recovery. Aromatherapy & utilization of oils are amazing for the skin, the body & the mind!

On a personal note, the day after I got Kelly home we did a lymph drainage of her clavicles, armpits (axillla) & inguinal (hip/thigh crease) then proceeded to drain her four abdominal quadrants to their respective end points & Kelly slept great, felt less post surgical swollen/full & had increased range of motion & energy.

*Hello ladies, this is CK, & I asked my husband to respond to this as I thought it would be helpful. He is available if you have other questions, just know he is not a Dr. & he can not diagnose or prescribe.

How long after surgery did you get your first massage? I would love to get one but the thought of laying on my stomach makes me nervous.

I had an hour long massage a little over a week after surgery. I did about the first 45 minutes on my back and the last on my stomach...no problems.