Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anybody Lose Serious Weight?

I am a little discouraged at this point. Haven't been filled yet...have two more weeks before the big day. I love reading all the post but keep seeing where people have lost 10-15 pounds in 6 months. I would not be very happy. Yes, at least you are losing but I need to lose more than that and faster! Of course, I am one that wants it all NOW! REally, I know the band is a tool but I was understanding that it should work better. Does the band need to be tighter or does it just work different on different people? I am just wondering if I spent a lot of money on something that didn't work better than my other diet "plans" I really am not trying to be pestimistic but honestly wondering if anyone has a good story to tell! I am just a little anxious.....impatient....and curious. Just really looking for some encouragement. thanks

Well, it depends how dedicated you are and what you're prepared to do.

I've probably only lost 10 to 15lb in the last 5 months because I'm pretty much at a healthy weight and I cant make myself care enough to keep going really hard at it.

I lost fast in the first place though because I was prepared to exercise like a fiend. I ran that weight off.

I'm not prepared to cut down too low on caloires or to give up all pleasure in food because I like it too much. I could lose faster now if I would do that.

But I consider 33kg in 15 months pretty serious weight loss! Its certainly all I needed to lose.

I would say that 70lbs in 11months is pretty good, and I know people on this site that have lost well over 100 in their first year. How much you lose depends greatly on how well you use your tool. It isn't a miracle worker, it doesn't make you lose weight, it helps you to control your hunger and your portions to help you lose.

I think you should educate yourself a little more on the band. In all my information sessions it was told that the band is a slower way to lose weight. And if you want to lose weight fast you should consider gastric bypass. And again it is a tool not a miracle.

The idea of the lap band is to lose the weight more slowly, and steadily.

Bypass pt's lose the weight much faster, due to a malnutrition process.

By the time my 11 mont anniversary rolls around, I will likely have lost 90 pounds. Now a friend on line here who was banded the same month I was (april 06) has lost over 150 pounds! She works out daily, and runs, and is very careful with her food intake. I am not so gung ho!!! I wanted a "way of life" as opposed to another diet. I eat normal foods, I do not count calories. I do keep my Protein intake up---I watch that---for reasons other than just my band, but I do keep it in the right range. I eat sweets if I want them, I just do everything in moderation now, the band allows me to do that. I do exercise now----I have list enough weight that I enjoy how I feel when I DO something. Some days it is just walking---others, I do more. This is how I intend to live the rest of my life---I hit a plateau, and didn't lose any weight for a month!!! BUT I was eating as I pleased, and I did not gain anything either---so that is exactly what I was wanting--something to help me maintain.

It IS possible to help the weight loss along with the band---and MANY do---losing well over 100 pounds in the first year. Many of us, just "go with the flow" and let it help us more. YOU decide how to work your band----you will get out of it no more than you put into it---in a way of speaking. If you choose to drink milkshakes non stop during liquids, and to eat soft easy foods following, no it won't work great---but if you work with your Dr. to monitor your fill levels, and pay attention to the food you take in---it can be done, barring any medical disorders that can happen. You make the ultimate decisions about how fast this is going to work. The band does need to be worked with until you have proper restriction, now that does not mean so tight you cannot eat! Doing that will stall weight loss as fast as eating too much! It has shown it to be true post after post! Eating solid Proteins, and healthy vegetables with fiber---keep you feeling full, and away from the Snacks, and the grazing issues---plus they feed your body the nutrients it needs to operate. I mean, I realize we all want to get the weight off---but our first goal should always be health....the vanity side of it will follow---but if you starve it off your body, you will lose weight, but you will also lose your health. Your hair and skin look dull, your resistance is low---you lose muscle so your body works less efficiently.

By exercising along with watching what you eat with the band, you can really up your weight loss. Muscle burns 50 times more calories at rest than fat does, so if you work and develop muscle, your body will be burning those calories, even as you sleep! You will end up with less back problems----many things!

So don't be discouraged---be prepared to be proactive in your goals. Plan how you will exercise to help the weight loss. If all you can do now is walk---then WALK!!! Soon, as the weight comes off, you will find yourself able to do more---and more----and more! Plan on what foods you can have at each stage, and stock up. If you find a food is causing you problems staying away from it ( Cookies for instance) get rid of them! Break the habit.

This CAN be done! It takes a little common sense, and work---but most things worth having do!

If it is not working for you---and you can honestly say you are doing your share of the work---then it is time for a sit down with your Dr.

Hang in there---you will start the fill process soon---and away you go!!!!

Kat

If you look around this site you will find a huge range in the weight loss patterns and trends. Like everyone before me has stated, it all depends on how you work the band. If you want immediate gratification, you probably should have had gastric bypass. If you are looking for a steady, forward progression you are in the right place. I know that, for me, the 'getting it off' was never the issue. I have lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds in my lifetime. The 'keeping it off' is why I got the band. If it takes me a year or two to get to my goal - so be it. When I move and when I drink my Water and watch what I eat very closely, I lose more quickly than if I have a lazier, less structured eating day. If you look at the posts of folks like Telly and Puddin, they are exercising like crazy and getting great results. I am envious of them...but not willing to work quite so hard at this...so my pace is slower. Still, I have lost almost 35# in less than 6 months and I am making forward progress. That is all that matters to me.

Best wishes on your journey!

I'm not losing weight any faster than I would be if I'd been dieting 'on my own' this whole time I don't think, but I don't have any issues with that. At first I was discouraged that I wasn't losing faster, but I've realized that now that doesn't matter to me. I'm on the way down, and I'll get there. The band helps me keep on track, and if I do get off track, I stay the same weight, I don't gain anything back, so, I'm fine with that too. I've lost 80lbs, and I would call that serious weight, even if it's taken 2 3/4 years to do it.

Well said Kat, I look at it very similarly. I wanted a lifestyle, not a diet, hence my weight loss has been slower. And even more than that, its probably due to running so much, more so than my perfect bandster diet, NOT. Hehe, I eat the same as I always did (which was pretty healthy), just in slightly smaller amount.

I can just manage to contemplate "dieting" now that I only ahve a few kg's to go. As in its going to be a short, intense period of dieting and exercise that will be "over" at some point in time. I have no doubt I can maintain now, I've been doing it for ages.

Please, try to evaluate the impatience and perfection feelings. I may not be able to tell if they are just excitement and motivation, and they well may be. I'm asking you to evaluate them. Wanting it NOW...well, that's exactly the feeling that led to me being over 100 lbs. overweight and having to consider lapband surgery in the first place.

Something to ponder....

I would like to add my thoughts. I think it depends on many factors. For me I was in the right place at the right time and ready to be banded. I don't think I would have been ready 5 years earlier.

I was banded almost a year ago. My weight loss is 167 lbs. Just working hard every day and now I run 4 x a week... because I CAN!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/191/179

I have lost 102.5 lbs in 16 months. I have been struggling the last two months but i go on friday the 23rd to get weighed so i am hoping that i have lost more. I also had my PS consult. Still have to loost the remaining 50 lbs before i can have my TT..:)

~Kristen

Tinker - I keep track of my progress in my journal, what I eat, what I do for exercise etc. I am posting my results each month out, today makes my 2 month band birthday and my results are below (I copied & pasted them from my journal)- and Yes, I am losing weight! Hang in there, I know it gets discouraging. I go for weeks and nothing, then all of a sudden big drops.

Beginning weight - 248, todays weight (drum roll please) 198.0 I have reached the 50 lbs mark!!!!!!!!! YAY!(pre-op diet weight included in my beginning number)

Before /1 month out/ 2 months out

Waist - 41 1/2" / 38" / 36 = lost 5 1/2"

Hips - 51" / 46 1/2 / 45" = lost 6"

Left Thigh - 28" / 26 1/4"/ 24" = lost 4"

calves - 17" / 15 1/2"/ 15 = lost 2"

left arm - 15 1/2" / 14" / 13 = lost 2"

breast - 43" / 40"/ 39" = lost 4"

under breast - 37"/36 1/2" / 36" = lost 1"

TOTAL INCHES LOST = 24 1/2" (One month post op was 17 1/4", so I've lost an addidtional 7 1/4" in the last 30 days!)

BEGINNING WEIGHT = 248/198 = lost total 50 lbs (pre-op & post op)