Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really, how long to get back to life as usual?

I am new to this forum and I am so glad that I found this place! Anywho, I have a very physical job at a shipping company and I am a voice major. For work, I must be able to lift and carry 75lbs, bend down, and stand for long periods of time. Is 3 or 4 weeks off work really long enough to recover? Then there is the singing which requires using abdominal muscles to push air out. This isn't a procedure I should have during the school year, right? I take about five voice classes per semester. Also, I am going to a seminar tomorrow, are there any questions (besides maybe the ones I just asked) that I might not think to ask?

To start off with nothing will ever be the same again....lol

75 lbs..wow..That will take some time. You really don't want to tear your sleeve or anything else. This is major surgery..It takes time for it to heal and the scars to heal..They heal from the inside out....

The singing part I don't see an issue after 3 or 4 weeks..But they are not going to let you lift 75 lbs. so soon after they have done the procedure...

Ask about support after the surgery

Ask about pain meds...which is safest

Ask about complications after surgery

Ask about Vitamins

What is successful barbaric surgery

How do I know if I am getting the proper care

How long before I will feel better

Is everyone different in responding to this surgery

There is some

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Thanks for your input Rj, I am excited to begin this journey, but I want to be well informed.

I'm a singer. I made the mistake of taking a job about 10 days after surgery. It wasn't my best work but it was fine. I'm almost 8 weeks out and I've been working church jobs with no problems after that slightly rocky start. The worst part was breath support for the first week or so. I also had a hiatal hernia repair and that probably made it worse.

At 6 weeks I was cleared to start lifting weights again. I will be honest and say I have started with lower weights, like 35-40 pounds. I could have done more but the point is working up slowly.

Good luck!

I'm a singer. I made the mistake of taking a job about 10 days after surgery. It wasn't my best work but it was fine. I'm almost 8 weeks out and I've been working church jobs with no problems after that slightly rocky start. The worst part was breath support for the first week or so. I also had a hiatal hernia repair and that probably made it worse.

At 6 weeks I was cleared to start lifting weights again. I will be honest and say I have started with lower weights, like 35-40 pounds. I could have done more but the point is working up slowly.

Good luck!

Your a singer...how interesting!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches