Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those healing right now..

The last few days have been tough. I have had a rough few days. Pain, difficulty breathing, and a few moments of WTH did I do to myself. The mental aspect of this surgery is just as tough as the physical healing. I heard it over and over, read about it but could not figure out the reason why. I figured that would not happen to me I have been in therapy for a few years I'm in a good place mentally. But the last few days I have figured out that my brain needs to heal as much as my body.

So for those that are healing with me right now, know you are not alone when u have moments of doubt or struggle with just the day to day healing. This is going to be a long journey and I love the support I get from everyone here and wanted to know that I am here for anyone else who needs support.

You can send me a message and I will answer if you don't want to express anything out in the forum. Sometimes you don't want to put yourself out there.

I questioned my decision for a good month and a half after I got it done. You grow into your new life.

Trust the process. What you're feeling is normal.

Thank you for posting and I was sleeved on Monday. I have had "many" moments of wth I do this to myself.

1. Nausea - stuff just stinks - the thought of Protein just makes my gag ( I got to get over it )

2. Major issues with diarrhea - I had my gallbladder removed so I am wondering if it's caused be my sleeve or from my GB removal.

3. The positive, I am resting better.

4. Warm liquids are best ..cold literally hurts.

I hate to speak negative but it would be helpful to know if this is just me or if others are having similar issues.

Thanks for writing this! I already am so up and down with what to expect. Some days I'm so excited and then so worried. I already often have these weird shock moments that hit me during the day that something oddly strange is about to happen to my insides in a few days... I've been through some challenging situations in my life and have always been strong but the whole premise of what may happen (especially the bad) after this surgery freaks me out. I'm already thinking "what am I about to do to myself??" but then that goes away when I notice how much better I feel already during this preop diet. I'm so back and forth. Not worried so much about the surgery itself though... I just may be contacting you for some advice so be forewarned ;)

So far I have not questioned why I had my surgery. Yesterday was 7 weeks out for me. One thing I did do in case I did get a case of "buyer's remorse" is to write down exactly why I chose to have the surgery. I was very specific and listed all the reasons of why and why not. I plan to review it if I ever get into this situation or if down the road I get off track with my eating habits.

I believe it will get easier for you down the road. I was very fortunate in my healing process. Keep your eyes on long term goals.

Thank you for posting and I was sleeved on Monday. I have had "many" moments of wth I do this to myself.

1. Nausea - stuff just stinks - the thought of Protein just makes my gag ( I got to get over it )

2. Major issues with diarrhea - I had my gallbladder removed so I am wondering if it's caused be my sleeve or from my GB removal.

3. The positive, I am resting better.

4. Warm liquids are best ..cold literally hurts.

I hate to speak negative but it would be helpful to know if this is just me or if others are having similar issues.

I don't have much issue with nausea or diarrhea. I had a patch behind my left ear put on before surgery by the anesteologist because I told him I get sick from the meds. It had a 4 day shelf life basically so I think that helped a lot. It hurts so bad to take a breathe because I feel like someone kicked my in the stomach. I had my gall bladder out in 2008, so my problem is Constipation.

As far as protein I have had to Water mine down a lot. 7oz of soy milk and 5 oz of water to one scoop. I use body fortress vanilla from Walmart. I add in 1 teaspoons of lemon sugar free instant pudding. Covers up the taste of protein. Plus one scoop is 30g. Then I set a timer on my phone for 15 mins. Every time it goes off I take 2-3 sips and reset it. Before I know it it is gone and I have 12 oz of Fluid in. I continue this all day because if I don't I will forget on drink my water.

I think the best way to overcome the protein obstacle is finding the right one and adding a little flavor. For me vanilla is best because I can flavor it with the pudding and it was ok'd by the doc and nutritionist. Make sure it is instant and sugar free and just use the 1 mayb 2 teaspoons because it will make your shake thick if u use too much. Pure protein fom SAMs club is good. Vanilla is smooth and bth chocolate and vanilla are realtivly thin. It may look spendy but my boss -a roun n y success of 10 yrs- did the math and it is actually less expensive than buying the milk and Protein Powder and the cap is resealable.

Decent taste and great fr on the go both preop diet and post op.

Another thing I have learned: electric blanket.

We do not own a heating pad. But we o have a small electric blanket. I sit in my big arm chair with the blanket wrapped around me and then a small thrown and pillow. The pillow is so my wiener dogs don't jump on my stomach. But the low warmth from the blanket has been great for relieving some of my pain and breaking up gas. I can pull on my left shoulder and make myself burp! I did it 20 times in a row last night! Felt 100 times better! Today it doesn't hurt as bad.

Thanks TonyaMac, I had my surgery on Wednesday and it has been a rough few days. The first day out I was anger with myself because I was miserable and in pain. Today is much better. I am in a little pain but bearable and I am able to hold down my Protein and Water. I am hanging in there and know that better days are to come........thanks to everyone for the continue support and encouraging words

I had my surgery on 12/2. I had some up and down moments and I'm sure they will not be the last. But, overall this surgery has not been bad at all. My problem is not drinking huge sips of Water during the night. I forget but am quickly reminded. I've lost 18 pounds so far and this really has me motivated. I am just not hungry at all. I am tiring of Soups etc. I was looking forward to starting on mushy food but found it a challenge to get a cup of apple sauce down yesterday. Keep the faith for those of you that are still facing surgery or have just had it. It is a positive experience. My greatest challenge so far is taking the Vitamins and Iron and I know I have to conquer this. I don't have a choice.