Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Other Changes in Your Life are You Making?

What other areas in your life are you changing now that you are on your way to a new physical you?

As for me, I have been to a dermatologist, got my teeth fixed, and I am considering dying my hair- just to cover the in-coming gray.

Other than physical changes, we recently began attending church regularly, and I am trying to get really good again about spending vs. saving $$$. And also to be more tolerant of my well-meaning mother-in-law.

What about you?

Wow...this is interesting. I am making other positive changes in my life, too. I have been working really hard at getting to bed earlier so that I can get 8 hours of sleep, getting up earlier in the morning, getting to work earlier, being a better housekeeper and getting my finances in order.

hmm.. this is sort of different, but i can't wait to try snowboarding again. Last time I tried I was totally out of shape and was having a hard time getting up and down all day. That's what started this whole lap band journey for me.

I am doing the dentist thing myself. I had my teeth bleached and got my temporary all porcelian crowns for my 2 front teeth just today! They look so good already, I cant wait to have the permanent ones on. Isnt it great how making such a positive change on the weight and health gets you looking at other things that may have been falling on the wayside?

Isnt it great how making such a positive change on the weight and health gets you looking at other things that may have been falling on the wayside?

Yep! I have suffered from mild adult acne for years and years, but never did anything about it, except the drug-store creams. I don't know why I never did anything about it. I mean, it's not really really bad, but I would always have to wear makeup and was always really self-concious about it. And as for the teeth, it was the expense of cosmetic work- I guess I felt like I wasn't worth it. But now- and I'm not even banded yet- I feel like I absolutely owe it to myself to take care of me!

I'll probably think of more, but I am beginning to be more assertive and confident in my opinions instead of worrying whether everyone likes me. I am also spending less money. In general, I am trying to be less wasteful with energy, time, money...life! I've contacted several old friends and have seen many. I am trying to come to terms with the bad things that happened to me. I am trying to forgive those that hurt me.

Great question!

I have my hair colored and I get regular manicures now. I never did those things pre-band because I didn't want to sit in a salon (i.e. worry abouth whether the salon chair would be comfortable at my size) and look in the mirror for an hour. Now it's part of who I am.

I'm working on being more social as well, but those changes are harder.

I have my hair colored and I get regular manicures now. I never did those things pre-band because I didn't want to sit in a salon (i.e. worry abouth whether the salon chair would be comfortable at my size) and look in the mirror for an hour. Now it's part of who I am.

I'm working on being more social as well, but those changes are harder.

Julie, I can really relate to the salon issues. Last time I got a pedicure (2 yrs ago), I had to stare at myself in a huge mirror for 30 minutes. Of course, I haven't been back since. My hairdresser lets me come to his house for haircuts, which he does in his kitchen where there are no mirrors. I'm looking forward to being able to go to a salon and not cringe at all the mirrors.

I intend to get Lumineers on my teeth when I reach my goal. And I suffer from adult acne, so I'm hoping to do a course of Accutane, too. I did Accutane treatment once in my early twenties when I weighed 125 lbs and it nearly killed me, so I know I couldn't handle it at my current weight and age. The pain was horrendous and my cholesterol went up to 380. I'd probably have a stroke if I tried Accutane now.

And I suffer from adult acne

If you are still hesitant about accutane, or want to start now, I am on a low-dose antibiotic (one commonly used to treat a very nasty STD, so I hate getting it refilled- worring about what the pharma. people think! LOL) plas benzaclin, as well as Retin-A. I can't tell you what a different it has already made.

If you are still hesitant about accutane, or want to start now, I am on a low-dose antibiotic (one commonly used to treat a very nasty STD, so I hate getting it refilled- worring about what the pharma. people think! LOL) plas benzaclin, as well as Retin-A. I can't tell you what a different it has already made.

What antibiotic are you on? I'm on 150 mg of doxycycline monohydrate daily, plus Differin gel during the day and Tazorac at night. I also use a 10% benzoyl peroxide lotion on top of the Differin and Tazorac. I can't do the Benzaclin because topical antibiotics actually make my acne worse. But if you're taking a good oral antibiotic, then I'd like to suggest it to my dermatologist. Doesn't adult acne totally suck? My skin was beautiful when I was a teenager. The acne didn't hit me until I was out of college.

Sorry, I didn't intend to highjack this thread, so I'm getting it back on topic. I'd also like to learn to dance once I'm thinner. At my firm's Christmas party last year, my boyfriend asked me to dance, and I said no because I was too embarrassed of my large butt to get out on the dance floor in front of everyone and because I'm a lousy dancer.

Haven't totally decided what I might do yet. Still have a ways to go. However, the fitness center thing is new for me.

Well a couple things that I would be waiting on now regardless of weight-- I am waiting to see about grad school admissions. And I also want to try a new narcolepsy medication. I have a teeth bleaching kit at home... I have teeth stained from antibiotics that I took when i was little so they need a long bleaching. Other than that nothing yet, but I did just get banded. I want to get more organized and cleaner around the house...