Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why the negativity around Gastric Plication?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows why there are so many negative comments about the plication? It makes it really difficult to make a decision. I hear people mention that the stomach can become necrotic but have only found information about it happening a couple of times. The videos and comments I have seen from doctors online all say the surgery is safe and very promising. Also the peer reviewed research publications I have seen sound like the surgery is safe and effective. I don't want to make people angry just wondering.

I am still trying to find out what it is? Is it different then then the gastric sleeve?

Yes, they fold the stomach and suture it in place, making a sleeve without removing the stomach. It is being touted as safer and as effective, though there have been a few people on here with complications.

It sounds weird my stomach is too big to fold in half, and yes I see there are complications what kind of surgery did you have?

I had band with plication. I lost weight pretty good even before getting my band adjusted. I asked my surgeon about the issues and complications and he said the necrosis wouldn't be increased with the stomach that if I was susceptible to it, I'd probably have it without the surgery. I believe for me its been very helpful.

I don't understand the negativity either. I had Lapband with plication surgery in Dec '12. Yes there can be complications but all WLS can have complications. It is new, but at one time each WLS had its moment of being new.

I did my research and felt confident that my surgeon would do the plication just as properly as he was going the Lapband. The is a Duke University study that lead me to believe plication would be a good as well as safe procedure to have. Also all my fills are done under fluro and he checks the plication at that time also.

I guess those of us who have had the surgery just need to speak up. Tell our success stories.

I did the research, as well, and found that the plication surgery is considered one of the safest of all WLS. The theory on necrosis occurring is if the stitches are too tight there is a higher risk of it happening. Unfortunately for me, I have found that the restriction greatly diminishes after about 4+ months. Currently at over 2 years out, I have minimal restriction and have not been able to lose any more weight (although I'm not trying too hard, I have to admit).

I did the research, as well, and found that the plication surgery is considered one of the safest of all WLS. The theory on necrosis occurring is if the stitches are too tight there is a higher risk of it happening. Unfortunately for me, I have found that the restriction greatly diminishes after about 4+ months. Currently at over 2 years out, I have minimal restriction and have not been able to lose any more weight (although I'm not trying too hard, I have to admit).

That would be really frustrating, I'm so sorry. How much are you able to eat? I heard somewhere that this can happen, and that they can go in and tighten the sutures, giving more restriction.

I can eat pretty much a normal amount of food. There are certain foods, however, I'm not able to eat as much of, like dense meats, hamburgers, etc. and I usually am too full for seconds, which is at least a change from the past! Once my restriction wasn't as strong, I think I got discouraged and started going back to the way I used to eat, unfortunately. I've often thought about going back and getting a band or even a sleeve, but I just hate the idea of going back for another surgery...and my insurance doesn't cover it, either. I'm already out $12,000 out of pocket on the first one. I hate the idea of spending even MORE money! But....I'm also not sure what else I can do at this point, either. Thanks for the info about tightening the sutures. I had forgotten about that. How are you doing with your surgery?

my surgery is scheduled for March. Still trying to decide between the sleeve and plication, though. Both are available options.

i had lapband and also plication....my starting BMI was 62

i have so far lost 153 pounds in 19 months..no issues what so ever..

i have never been stuck, slimed or pd'd and i eat what i want/no dieting..

if we do what the doctor advises us to do for best results, keep with the doctor

follow ups and also be mindful of our bodies (for something wrong), i see no problems..

although with any WLS, complications can and do happen......seems to me

that the neg and false things are said by people who have idea what it is or how it works.

for that info, its best to ask the WLS doctor.....as like with weight loss results, it varies

and so will people's opinions on this.

I think the negativity comes from two things. 1. - most don't know what plication is. Case in point I was at support group last night at my surgeons office and I was the only one out of 40+ people there who had the plication surgery or even knew what it was. 2. - It's most commonly done in Mexico, and that instantly draws criticism from some. I was very close to taking the Mexico route, but found a clinical study here locally in Washington. My wife was nervous about the idea of Mexico and felt strongly that I should have surgery locally so I had more follow up care and support available to me. I think the majority of it is from a lack of understanding about plication. I also think people can become very gung ho about the surgery they selected, as we all have strong emotions attached to this journey, which you would expect considering how this changes all of our lives.