Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi post sleevers! I like to excersie, unfortunately not as much as I like eating-as my weight went up, my energy levels dropped and quite frankly it hurts to be active at my current weight. Im looking forward to being able to exercise after surgery and im wondering how soon you guys worked exercise in after surgery? What type of activity did you find most rewarding without affecting your newly sleeved stomach? Im currently under the impression that for months after my surgery even laughing too hard will cause my stomach to burst open-is that something you have to be mindful of when starting a workout regimen?

First, don't worry about laughing too hard :D

The schedule my surgeon gave me was: walking only for the first four weeks. After that, I was cleared to start low impact aerobics, elliptical, circuit training with light weights and low impact cardio, swimming, and biking for the next two months -- but if I was doing anything involving my core, I had to stop immediately if I felt even a twinge of pain there. I never did feel that though! At three months out I was cleared for anything I wanted to do, including high impact aerobics and free weights. Definitely check with your own doctor though.

You can start walking slowly immediately after surgery. While I was off work, I walked 2-3 times per day short (.25 mi to .33 mi) distances at a slower pace than normal exercise. Then, at two weeks, I increased the pace and continued that for the next month. My doc cleared me for light weights at two weeks and said to wait until 6 weeks for anything involving the core. I didn't feel comfortable yet so I increased my walking speed during that time and finally joined a gym last week at 7 weeks. I lift weights and do light core exercises and it's wonderful! I have replaced my "e"ating with "e"xercise :) You do have to be careful and conscious about your sleeve after surgery but I don't think you'll need to worry about laughing too hard. Get ready for as bit of an emotional roller coaster though! It's not bad, just be ready!

Edited by Kattastic

I started going to the gym at 3 weeks after surgery after my doctor cleared me. I started just walking on the treadmill. After about 2 weeks I moved to weights and pushing cardio. My main focus was weights due to losing weight so fast and losing muscle. I now do about 30 min of cardio and 30 of weights. I am happy I was able to start that early. I did however have to take about a month before I could do anything with my mid stomach area. That took longer due to it being a little painful.

I'm 6 weeks out and just went back to my CrossFit gym. I was cleared for all exercise except CF at 4 weeks, so I waited the extra two weeks required by my doctor. I'm getting back into it slowly…we started with the rowing machine and some baseline stuff (squats and sit-ups) to see how my core responded. All was clear, so the next day I did some rowing, light kettle ball swings and ring rows (body weight pull-ups from the ground.)

I will continue in this fashion, with the goal to keep a steady pace and finish, until I am back where I was in October prior to surgery. I suspect it will take another 4-6 weeks of work to get back there, and I expect to go about 2-3 times a week to start.

Thanks for the info guys! I meet again with my surgeon too and have a whole list of questions...im glad that my idea that I would be fragile forever after the surgery is busted..I cant imagine 6 months out worrying if my stomach is gonna rupture from bending over!