Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea, Anyone?

I am now 2 months out from surgery, and for the most part, I am doing very well. But, I have been annoyed because almost daily, I have a bout of nausea. It does not seem to be related to whether or not I have eaten. It is actually mild, like background noise, and never to the point of actually throwing up, but just this uncomfortable sensation that is a queasy tummy. Sometimes it is only a momentary thing, other times it can last for a few hours. One thing that can set it off for sure is a ride in the car! But, it happens even if I don't go anywhere at all.

I know I could take Pepto, but that will also stop a person up, and I do not want to do that to myself if I don't need to. So far, I am just living with it and decided today that I may as well ask you all if this is normal for others as well! I would also like to know if this is common, does it subside at some point in time, like is it just another healing side effect and I can hope it all goes away soon?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Connie

Are you on Nexium or something like that? Could be too much acid

Reflux can do this, I agree. An over the counter product will let you work out if you respond to anti reflux meds, but a prescription med is best.

I was wondering about that, but I have a prescription for Pepcid that I take 2X a day. I think I will call the nurse on Monday and see if perhaps I might need something different. I know that my stomach is extremely gassy, to the point I take GasX from time to time when it becomes unbearable, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I also wonder sometimes if what I am experiencing is a sour stomach, or more of the nausea that it feels like. I just don't know what to do anymore, and today it has been hours, not just a few minutes like it often is. I'm frustrated!

Connie

Sounds like you may need something stronger

I'm 14 months out and still take prescription meds for anti-sickness daily... too scared to stop taking them and the doc seems to think its fine too...

Thank you all very much for your imput! You were right, it is about the med, and I found out that the day I was complaining, I had not taken my pill! It was an oversite that I will not forget again! I was also doing more research and this seems to be an ongoing side effect/problem with having the sleeve done, the most common complaint as much as 6 years out. As long as I understand it and can get some relief, then I am OK with that!

Thank you so much for responding and pointing me in the right direction! Good health to you all;

Connie

At 3 months out, I started having nausea after eating. And I hadn't had ANY nausea or vomiting at all after my surgery. At my 4 month checkup, I casually mentioned this annoying nausea to my surgeon, who jumped on it. Sent me in for gallbladder tests -- ultrasound first, but no gall stones discovered.

Then he sent me in for a HIDA scan. This measures the functionality of the gallbladder. So evidently my gallbladder was barely functional and full of sludge which is what was causing the nausea. Sludge can turn into gallstones, so it was time for the gallbladder to come out. I had the gallbladder removed last week, so I am now recovering from a second surgery in 6 months. This surgery was not nearly as difficult as the sleeve surgery -- no liquid diet before or after, no overnight in the hospital. No real pain, no problems, just a little tired.

If your nausea continues, say something to your surgeon. And don't settle for an ultrasound. Make sure you have the HIDA scan.

Cindy, I hope you heal up nicely! Get your rest! It is a lot for your body to endure! I think there are a lot of folks who have to get their gall bladder removed either at the time of the sleeve or before or after. Seems to go hand in hand. I had to have mine out a few years ago, as I was having chronic pancreatitis and to have the gallbladder removed, helped so it did not throw little stones up into the duct of the pancreas! The nausea I was having was due to my missing my antacid pill by accident. It was a miserable day without it, but I was clueless at the time. This forum certainly has helped me so much by reaching out and finding wisdom in others!

I hope you get well soon!

Connie