Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 11 Most Destructive Nutrition Lies Ever Told................

I found this to be very interesting and I am glad I am on a Low carb diet! :)http://www.businessinsider.com/the-11-most-destructive-nutrition-lies-ever-told-2013-11

Great article. Somebody ought to have their ass kicked for that ridiculous food pyramid that misguided us so badly for so long.

I have a special interest in #7...low carbs. As the article stated, a diet high in carbs might not have negative health effects for someone who is naturally lean. And who here is naturally lean? Not too many of us.

But to circles back to the running community. Lots of them believe that a runners diet needs to consist of high carbs....often upwards of 65%. And look at the running community. Naturally lean... in general.

But more and more people are proving that carbs aren't absolutely necessary to endurance exercise like running. A person can become "fat adapted"....capable of burning fat instead of glycogen during long steady state activity. My wife and I are training for a half marathon this month, and we did a 9 mile run the other day. I ran those miles on 2 boiled eggs and some almonds....virtually no carbs. My wife ran it fasted.....no food at all. All the while, we were making a game of pointing out all the gel and gu packs that people had dropped on the ground along the path.

Great article. Somebody ought to have their ass kicked for that ridiculous food pyramid that misguided us so badly for so long.

I have a special interest in #7...low carbs. As the article stated, a diet high in carbs might not have negative health effects for someone who is naturally lean. And who here is naturally lean? Not too many of us.

But to circles back to the running community. Lots of them believe that a runners diet needs to consist of high carbs....often upwards of 65%. And look at the running community. Naturally lean... in general.

But more and more people are proving that carbs aren't absolutely necessary to endurance exercise like running. A person can become "fat adapted"....capable of burning fat instead of glycogen during long steady state activity. My wife and I are training for a half marathon this month, and we did a 9 mile run the other day. I ran those miles on 2 boiled eggs and some almonds....virtually no carbs. My wife ran it fasted.....no food at all. All the while, we were making a game of pointing out all the gel and gu packs that people had dropped on the ground along the path.

I thought it was pretty interesting myself. I totally agree with you about the carbs and it not being necessary to load before a marathon. I have been reading more and more on this topic.

That food pyramid needs to be blown up! I have disagreed with that damn thing for years! I have committed myself to keeping as low a carb diet as possible and find that I am happier, my thoughts are not constantly centered on food and my body doesn't have an inner screaming for the things. They are such an addiction and the less of them the better off we are.

I loved this article...It ran true to my ears in so many different ways...Thanks for sharing it with us....

Butter, just think how much money you and the Mrs saved by not buying into all those energy supplements. that's a million dollar business there..... LOL

Good job on the marathon! :P

I'm curious, are you, or did you, do an Atkins like diet soon after surgery? If so, do you think it helped you be more successful?

I ask because I've been doing some searching, trying to find out if that's the direction I want to go. I am 6 weeks out and don't have a lot of confidence in my Drs plan of high protein/low fat/mid carbs. I lost 60+ lbs in the 6 months before surgery eating Atkins. I know my body and I do so much better eating low carb. Like others have said, the food demons go into hibernation and I feel like a normal person. I'm really not having issues with it right now, but I've still kept carbs low.

In addition, I was losing the same amount of weight before surgery as I am since surgery (except the first week), so I'm wondering if I'd lose better eating high protein/mid fat/low carb (20g net).

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Most of us seem to be told to eat low carb, low (or moderate) fat, high Protein. Atkins is quite high in fat.

I'm curious, are you, or did you, do an Atkins like diet soon after surgery? If so, do you think it helped you be more successful?

I ask because I've been doing some searching, trying to find out if that's the direction I want to go. I am 6 weeks out and don't have a lot of confidence in my Drs plan of high protein/low fat/mid carbs. I lost 60+ lbs in the 6 months before surgery eating Atkins. I know my body and I do so much better eating low carb. Like others have said, the food demons go into hibernation and I feel like a normal person. I'm really not having issues with it right now, but I've still kept carbs low.

In addition, I was losing the same amount of weight before surgery as I am since surgery (except the first week), so I'm wondering if I'd lose better eating high protein/mid fat/low carb (20g net).

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

I am 6 months post op now and have lost 76 pounds. I think my weight loss has been for the most part average to a little slow. That has been done with staying below 35g of carbs a day. I have always been a carb addict and I have no doubt that if I had gone above the 35 my loss would have been slower and the cravings would have killed me! The biggest liberation from carbs is not having them haunt my thoughts all day long! I now go for healthier low carb items and this has made me a much happier person. I definitely advocate low carb eating! :)