Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You've Had Duodenal Switch Surgery Share...

Hi,

Let me address the dining out issue. It's not difficult. I promise. First of all, the salad dressing isn't often a problem. I get Russian. It's catsup and mayo. I eat that all the time (catsup everyday with my meals and mayo in my tuna). Remember, fat is not a problem with DSers. I also order pretty much whatever I want (bread/pasta/rice being the exception b/c I don't really want the carbs; it's way too filling & I'd never fit in the required Protein if I ate it as my stomach is too small). Shrimp with butter sauce, steaks, hamburgers, roast chicken, chicken alfredo (I usually don't eat the Pasta but the sauce is great). I'm a very picky eater, though. My DS friends eat a lot of different things. I just named some of the basics.

Keep in mind DSers don't count calories. We watch sugar grams & simple carbs.

Plus, I also always have extra for later. Meaning I almost never finish the meal at the table so I bring it with me: either home, or back to the hotel room for a snack (some people do finish it all, though, so don't worry if you are one of them, YMMV) . I try to get a room w/a refrig. but if not it stays well enough for when I eat again.

I am struggling between the DS and RNY. I travel with work about 70% of the time which means a lot of meals that I won't be preparing and will not have control of caloric inputs for those. I know that I will have to make the best decision of what is given on the menu and ask for dressing on the side and no this and no that. I have no problem with that. I am currently 320 lbs and 5'8" with BMI of 48. I buried my 46 YO brother 3 years ago due to complications of super morbid obesity and scared I will bury my sister due to the same issues if she doesn't get help as well. I am taking 3 - 4 months off the road to have surgery and let things settle in. I do not have diabetes, but I'd does run HEAVY in my family. High blood pressure, cholesterol, and sleep apnea I do suffer from. I am concerned about regain of weight, but I have been living a low carb life for many years and know that my metabolism may not change as drastically as others. Any comments or advise would be appreciated. I have read many forums, you tubed, spoke to physicians, and would really like input from some folks that live it every day!

Edited by Postop

Thank you for the responses. I may have to switch surgeons, but I am only doing this ONCE! I think the biggest reason for me to go with DS is the regain issue with all of my travel. I love my job, but having to eat out with clients and colleagues comes at a price! I also know the battle of weight has taken one sibling and i have to take action soon. I will be talking to my dr. On the 4th, so I have to have my head sorted and quit all this wishy washy stuff. I have ready studies about complications and don't see much difference between DS and RNY. I realize recoup my be a little longer and I can deal with that. A little worried about being on a 7 hr flight and bowel and flat issues. How controllable is that with diet really?

I had my surgery a 6 hours plane ride and an hour ride away from my home. I was fine on the flight home and had no bowel issues as I was only on Clear liquids. As long as you restrict carbs, bowel and flatulence issues are not a concern. Most DS'ers "go" once or twice a day.

Do you mean flying right after the DS? Or do you mean flying, in general, as the years go by post DS?

Thank you for the responses. I may have to switch surgeons, but I am only doing this ONCE! I think the biggest reason for me to go with DS is the regain issue with all of my travel. I love my job, but having to eat out with clients and colleagues comes at a price! I also know the battle of weight has taken one sibling and i have to take action soon. I will be talking to my dr. On the 4th, so I have to have my head sorted and quit all this wishy washy stuff. I have ready studies about complications and don't see much difference between DS and RNY. I realize recoup my be a little longer and I can deal with that. A little worried about being on a 7 hr flight and bowel and flat issues. How controllable is that with diet really?

Edited by Postop

Flying in general. I am on planes about 2x per week up to 9 hrs per flight. I won't be doing any traveling immediately post op and not till dr. Clears me. I have put the gauntlet down that this surgery and recovery will override work commitments for the length of time needed. Technology will let me stay in contact for a while and boss is supportive. By supportive I mean he knows I am having surgery, not why or what kind.

No one knows I had the DS, either.

As for flying, here's what I do. Obviously, I eat no carbs that day (honestly, I don't eat them during the day much, anyway). When I want them I eat them I do so in the evening so I can have my gas, etc., in the privacy of my home or hotel room. I'll sometimes eat what they give me on the plane, but I often bring tuna, roast chicken, stuff like that. Then I know I'm getting more than enough Protein and am able to eat constantly which if you go by the airline's food; it's only when they want to serve you and you're on a long flight. Oh, and always have tons of nuts with you.

I also always carry certain things:

1. I always carry a small vial of perfume in the back pocket of my slacks. It's a small metal atomizer and I fill it w/perfume. That's b/c I find my gas lingers in the butt of my pants much more than it did before I had the DS. When I know I can't hold in the gas or smother it in the seat (or at work against a wall; you get good at smothering gas, lol), I spray the butt of my pants quickly to mask the smell. If that won't pass through the TSA, you can just use a small clear spray bottle you find at the drugstore. Those should pass the TSA.
  2. For the bathroom. I use Citrus Magic orange spray. They also make small spray bottles and I use them in all public bathrooms. I carry it in my backpack & I don't have to worry about 'going' in public. Not sure about that passing through in your carry on with the TSA so I'd use the perfume atomizer in the bathroom. It should clear the smell up well. Oh, and I'll also say (if there's a person waiting in line for the bathroom), "You might want to wait a minute or two before you go in."

Edited by Postop

The planes and presentations are my biggest fear! Thanks for sharing! Btw I purchased a "traveleroma" that is a small atomizer that you can put on most other atomizer tops to refill. You could refill from my current room deodorizer! Will have to order another one! Thanks again for the info!

You're welcome. Anything else we can help with just ask.

I am pre-op but I chose DS. I have read everything I can on it (dsfacts.com is fantastic). I am also on this forum and others to see what "real" people are saying. I chose the DS for several reasons: 1) after a couple of years the RNY looses it's malabsorption. That is why some see regain. 2) the percentage of getting rid of comorbidities is higher with the DS. 3) higher percentage of excess weight is lost and kept off with DSers. 4) I only want to have surgery once. I have seen so many RNYers post they are having surgery again to revise to the DS. I have also seen banders and sleevers getting sleeved or resleeved. (This is when I just want to yell go with the DS and get it done right.)

I too am pre op. Gonna have my DS surgery in Mexico in about 6 weeks. Can't wait to get it done! Kinda ticked my insurance didn't cover it forcing me to self pay, but I refuse to be dissuaded. Very excited dreaming about a "normal" me down the road! I recently hit 412 lbs and realized how critical my physical state had become. I'm trying to lose weight before my surgery to shrink my liver and give the doctors more room to maneuver inside me. I hope I can lose at least 30lbs...and that that amount will be sufficient to give me a successful outcome. Best of luck to all here pre+post ops!

Hi Elisabethsew,

Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villareal out of Star Medica Hospital in Juarez. I couldn't get approval for the DS procedure from my insurance, and as I view it as my best option, I chose to self pay rather than compromise. Gratz on all your success! My fingers are crossed that I'll be as fortunate.

I just had my DS surgery 2 days ago.I'm home now and pretty sore. I'm hoping some of this gas in my tummy will go down so I can get more comfy. I feel like I've been hit by a trick on the inside.

Glad to hear you've made it to the other side. Keep sipping, sipping, sipping. Rest & take it easy. Major surgery can knock you out. Do try & walk several times a day, though.

I am 4 days out.....got home today. Feeling nauseous, bloated and have some diarheae ......heard it is normal. Hope it settles soon!! Really excited about my second chance