Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You've Had Duodenal Switch Surgery Share...

Who has had DS surgery? Who was your surgeon? Did you go through insurance or were you a self pay?

58 views and no replies. How many of those folks are having or have had DS?

DS with James Foote August 2009. HW 250+, surgery weight 219. Current weight between 110-121, IDK, I don't own a scale. I belong to many DS forums on Proboards, OH and Facebook.

Hi Ricky.

Congratulations on your success, Sheanie. I love that you don't own a scale. Do you ever have difficulty with weight gain?

DS on 6/15/2005 with Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba, Brazil. 279 day of surgery - 135 now. I do have a scale and I maybe get on it once or twice a year.

58 views and no replies. How many of those folks are having or have had DS?

When are you going to let the whole page view thing go? I know it has been explained to you already because I did.

Looks like he gave it up on the 8th?

Since I only get weighed when forced to at my doctor's office, I go by the way my jeans fit. If they start falling off (again) I up my carbs. If they start getting snug, I cut out the carbs (usually just my Nutella at night).

Of course, I always keep my Protein at 120 grams per day. I drink chocolate Protein in my coffee in the morning and also once again at night so I'm usually above 120 grams in addition to food.

I just had a revision from RNY to a DS this Fall. I had significant complications and have extremely strong opinions about getting quality pre-op advice from knowledgable vets, as well as using only the most experienced surgeon for that particular surgery.

Additionally, I have strong opinions about people's ability to handle a surgery like the DS, possible complications, and maintenance. This surgery is not as forgiving as RNY or the sleeve.

I have grave concerns that someone on this forum is already trying to censor participants unchecked (board nannying) and that there is not a strong enough moderator.

People die from bad advice about the DS. I almost did. A few times. Good information must outweigh "feelings". If someone is so emotionally fragile that they cannot handle truth-telling, then they are not ready for this surgery.

If you want vets like me to participate, I need to be able to speak freely and honestly.

Edited by Proteinsnob

Welcome, Protein,

I certainly welcome your experiences and comments and hope you feel free and safe to express your opinions. It is absolutely necessary to be informed about any surgery, the surgeon, the outcomes, and the consequences. One of my consequences of DS surgery is the need to get IV Iron infusions once or twice a year.

This site is new and all are welcome. Bullying will not be tolerated and those who are walking the line are known and will be dealt with if necessary. My style is not to police but rest assured, if I need to take action I have no problem doing so.

Liz

I'm intrigued by this topic. I'm interested in ANY bariatric surgery my insurance will cover - still figuring out which. But I have about 150 to lose. From what I've read, DS is good for those who are very overweight like me. I currently have a form of dumping syndrome - IBS and had my gallbladder out several years ago - so I'm no stranger to panicking trips to the bathroom. And I still eat poorly when I'm stressed knowing that I'll be sick later. Any hints or thoughts would be helpful!

Hi McBRachel,

I would advise not settling on what your insurance will pay for. The weight loss surgery proven most effective over the long term is the DS procedure. It's restrictive and malabsorptive. With IBS, you might start by seeing your GI MD. At least that MD should be knowledgeable about the GI tract. Be aware that MANY MDs have not heard of the DS procedure. This means you need to educate yourself on the procedure so you can educate them.

With 150 pounds to lose you likely need more than a restrictive procedure (lapband, sleeve). RNY and DS off the malabsorption with the restriction. Research both. Obviously, I advocate for the DS procedure. Finally, read through this and other forums and ask whatever questions or concerns you might have. Welcome!

I had the DS surgery in September of 2012 through the BMI clinic in SLC Utah. I have lost over 200 pounds in less than 16 months. I love my DS and so far, with a few minor complications, I am doing well and still loosing. Dont really have a goal. Thinking 150 might be nice.

DS with Dr. Stephen Boyce Jan 2011. HW 250+, in 2002, but pre-op weight was documented at 208. surgery weight 199. Current weight between 145. I belong to many DS forums on Proboards, OH and Facebook.< br />