Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgeon Doesn't Require A Pre-Op Diet?

This is a really helpful thread. I will have surgery 12/23/13, I, too, wondered how they thought I could do a two week liquid diet, a little chicken, to prepare. It made no sense to me. However, I do understand the psychological prep aspect. I am more relaxed now about my pre-op diet. It was the only thing worrying me, since I understand I will feel full VERY quickly once I am sleeved! I am not a foodie, so alI I want is to NOT feel hunger!

This is a really helpful thread. I will have surgery 12/23/13, I, too, wondered how they thought I could do a two week liquid diet, a little chicken, to prepare. It made no sense to me. However, I do understand the psychological prep aspect. I am more relaxed now about my pre-op diet. It was the only thing worrying me, since I understand I will feel full VERY quickly once I am sleeved! I am not a foodie, so alI I want is to NOT feel hunger!

This "not feel hunger" is only temporary and will return. It's not a cure. During the time you don't feel hunger is the time you need to retch yourself better eating habits and lifestyle changes. Don't be fooled into thinking this surgery fixes all your weight issues

Op.. All surgeons are different. Some surgeons want their patients to become aware of the changes they will need to make after surgery by having them begin to stop the bad habits early. It's a good idea. Some surgeons feel the pt needs to lose some prior. Etc. It doesn't make one dr better than another.. Just different

My surgeon said a lot of his patients never experience hunger again.

You may not experience the hunger like you used too.. But you will eventually have hunger return. You cn also learn to deal with this hunger in better ways then prior to surgery. The sleeve is a wonderful tool if used right.

I was a little surprised when my nut told my my surgeon doesn't require a special pre-op diet. They want me to follow what I've been doing to lose my 5% with the nut, but other than that no all liquid or anything! Is it just because he's very experienced and a pioneer in the field and isn't worried about knicking my liver? I'm wondering why he wouldn't want to play it safe...

Hi, I was not put on a pre-sleeve diet , had no issues post op.

Some people feel hunger post op and some don't. I did. But hunger now feels a lot different than it did before. And also it is REALLY easy to make go away with just a tiny bite or two of food.

I hate to change get off subject but what are some examples of slider foods?

I refer to slider foods as anything I can eat a lot of. Like popcorn. I can eat it nonstop and never get full. I can only eat a bit of ice cream before I'm full. So slider foods tend to vary with people. A rule of thumb is if you can eat a lot stay away from it.

I'm on 40g of carbs a day for 2 weeks. I have to limit my vegetables, etc. to this carb limit as well. I'm allowed to eat unlimited meat and very low carb veggies like cucumbers and celery.

my doc required a pre op diet and I am glad cuz this stuff just put the desire for food to rest. I get surgery on the 12th....good luck to you all.........

Well my surgeon also doesn't require a pre-op diet of any kind. His protocol: Clear Liquids for 24 hours prior to surgery. Regardless of surgery or BMI.

WHY?

Because he uses a special tool (I don't know what it's called) to hold the liver OUT of the way while he is performing any type of bariatric surgery. So he doesn't need to "shrink" the liver.

Every surgeon is different and everyone has different protocols to follow. Follow whatever YOUR surgeon requires.

As for NEVER feeling hunger again. Well, yeah that was true for about 18-24 months post-op...I was NEVER hungry. But now I'm 3+ years post-op and I definitely feel hunger. Is it the same as it was PRE-SURGERY? Nope! I hope I never go back to that bottomless pit feeling...but yeah hunger still exists. For me.

Well my surgeon also doesn't require a pre-op diet of any kind. His protocol: clear liquids for 24 hours prior to surgery. Regardless of surgery or BMI.

WHY?

Because he uses a special tool (I don't know what it's called) to hold the liver OUT of the way while he is performing any type of bariatric surgery. So he doesn't need to "shrink" the liver.

Every surgeon is different and everyone has different protocols to follow. Follow whatever YOUR surgeon requires.

As for NEVER feeling hunger again. Well, yeah that was true for about 18-24 months post-op...I was NEVER hungry. But now I'm 3+ years post-op and I definitely feel hunger. Is it the same as it was PRE-SURGERY? Nope! I hope I never go back to that bottomless pit feeling...but yeah hunger still exists. For me.

I don't think there is a tool or any such thing. Pre-op diets are to shrink the liver if enlarged which is easy to find with liver function tests. If they are normal you don't need a pre op diet.

I was not required to do a preop diet.. Haw ever I did up losing 6 pounds in the last two weeks.

Well my surgeon also doesn't require a pre-op diet of any kind. His protocol: clear liquids for 24 hours prior to surgery. Regardless of surgery or BMI.

WHY?

I don't think there is a tool or any such thing. Pre-op diets are to shrink the liver if enlarged which is easy to find with liver function tests. If they are normal you don't need a pre op diet.

Actually THERE IS A TOOL. I'm sorry that you have the incorrect information about my specific surgeon, but I've spoken with him about this. In fact, I gave him permission to VIDEO TAPE my surgery and the tool is there.

Please don't spread misinformation about things you don't know about. Just because I don't know the name of the tool doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Let me also repeat, HE DOESN'T REQUIRE ANY PATIENT FOR ANY SURGERY TO DO MORE THAN 24 HOUR CLEAR LIQUID. That is his protocol, it's not based on liver function tests. He uses a tool.

Edited by M2G

Actually THERE IS A TOOL. I'm sorry that you have the incorrect information, but I've spoken with my surgeon about this. In fact, I gave him permission to VIDEO TAPE my surgery and the tool is there.

Please don't spread misinformation about things you don't know about. Just because I don't know the name of the tool doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Let me also repeat, HE DOESN'T REQUIRE ANY PATIENT FOR ANY SURGERY TO DO MORE THAN 24 HOUR CLEAR LIQUID. That is his protocol, it's not based on liver function tests. He uses a tool.

My intention was not to spread mis information. When operating on the stomach its important that none of the abdominal structures get disturbed and hence separators are used, but as I said its not something specific for this surgery, it is for all abdominal procedures. I don't understand why you felt that I wrote it as if you don't know the name hence it doesn't exist, neither have I cast any doubts about your pre op protocol. Also you don't know me so don't assume what I know and what I don't.