Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else have the restaurant card?

I don't have the card from the link, I got a card from Inamed it was in my post-op packet. It's a hard plasticish material and has my surgeons signature on it. ~Mandy

I have it but have never used it and probably never will. I don't cook so leftovers are a special treat for me :(

UG. I spent a week in Vegas a month after being banded, and we found NO place that would honor the card. Most of them just don't have Kid's menus, or Senior Citizen discounts or anything. I just ended up wasting an awful lot of expensive food. The days of cheap buffets in Vegas are GONE, GONE, GONE. There was no refrigerator in our hotel room, so I couldn't even TRY to save it for later. :)

A trick I learned from a friend (who really does need one) for hotels with no fridge - tell them you have a medical need for one (well, you really do.....). They have tons of them for this reason and usually will have one waiting for you in your room :( Order something you know will be OK cold - a "medically necessary microwave" might be pushing it :(

Spydr

Great advice! Especially the box idea.

Just looking at your fill schedule...can you share, why the unfills? Did you have too much restriction? If so, what was it like with too much restricton, and what did you experience after the unfill. first and second? Trying to get more educated about the fill process. Figure someone who handles the restaurant situation the way you do might not mind me asking!

Thanks

Kim

223ps/217s/203t/135g

banded 1/30/07

first fill 3/09/07 1 cc

I was just showing my husband my card tonight. Got it from my doctor.

Have not tried to use it yet, but it appalls me that certain places will not honor it. No wonder America is getting heavier and heavier! The servings are astronomically huge.

I have the card, but have not yet used it. Only a few people know about my lap band, so if I am out with others I just order a regular meal and take the rest home. It is amazing to me that what I used to polish off in one sitting -- and then have dessert, besides -- now lasts for a minimum of 4 extra meals. I'm starting to think that I might freeze the leftovers in the future, as by the 4th day of the same leftovers, my tastebuds are ready for a little change.

I'm wondering if the 'novelty' of this will ever wear off (I hope not!) and if I will ever stop being amazed and surprised at the differences the band has brought to my life.

I have not used my card, the only place I would is at a buffet. In a regular restaurant I just order something that I can take home and have a lot of leftovers or I pick off of my DH's plate (he doesn't need it all anyway). I am sure the wait staff wonders if I my meal is ok because it apperas that I am not eating it, then when I ask for a to go box they must think oh she's just no hungry right now, or something, but I don't care. It's good for them to see that not all obese people eat a pound of bacon and a dozen eggs for Breakfast and a footlong sub for lucnh with a big bad of chips. I swear that's what they all think.

Do all Doctors give these out. Or do you get them from somewhere else?

If the surgeon doesn't give you one, Inamed will just call and talk to customer service. My card also shows what the band looks like under flouro, tells the size of the band and also that is MRI safe, and not to take NSAIDS. ~Mandy

Where do you get one of those cards?

Catten

I was given one when I got my band card (had the serial number, size of my band and when it was placed).

From your band doctor. There is also a downloadable card here: RestaurantCard ~Mandy

I'm in Oklahoma and I found Cheddar's food chain will let you order off the kids menu. I had a very nice piece of fish with a small bed of 1/4 cup rice and steamed broccoli and carrots,(this was pre-band) But I found it to be quite filling, I even took enough home to have for dinner.I just got my card today and I too will try and use mine, I talk so much about my band that I tell everyone. And my husband and I have been eating out for years, So we are known in most places around here, And If they Make me mad I'll just tell them, Ok I'm not coming back. My Dr. office also keeps track of the places that except the card, andhtye publish it in there monthly newsletter,we are encouraged to share our information so they can tell others what places do and do not except them.It's pretty good advertising for the one's who do.

I'm just going to have to skulk into this thread......I've been in the restaurant business for my entire life.

Sorry, but there is no great conspiracy to make America fat. We Americans are doing that on our own, by choice. Restaurants cater to the public taste because that's where the $$$ is. Admit it, you spent your life before band in the same restaurants you are now pissed off at. If you are looking for healthier restaurant choices, they are out there-just not on every street corner.

I can't say why a specific restaurant wouldn't let you order off the kid's menu-but very few kid's menus are attractive. Ours consists of quesadillas, chicken strips, etc. Brown food, I call it.

You can order any side dishes you'd like. Or hey, we'll be happy to do a special plate for you; steamed veg, broiled fish with a light sauce, plain chicken, etc. But it will be an adult price. I've got to make a profit to survive, and I can't do it on demi-portions.

See, you'll order a "small" plate. We'll send you something tasty and pretty. The rest of your table will admire it. Hopefully, you will be happy(which is good). You, and maybe the rest of the table,will tell people(which is only kind of good). You will come back and order the demi-portion again, as will other people you've told. (Headed into not-so-good)

Only, I'm losing money on the demi-portion. I need to sell you the plate for 28% cost, and I can't do it for that small a portion. It's taking extra time to make, because my cooks aren't used to doing it, so that affects production. I'm having to stand back there and make sure they do it right, because if I don't watch they will put extra butter on it. ("but chef, it tastes better") Your server is going to be mad, because he's not going to get a good tip-you're buying a "diet plate", there won't be any dessert, and you probably aren't having any wine or cocktails. And you're going to take up the table-the table with 4 precious seats-for an hour!!

Sorry, I realize I probably sound like a crazy chef ranting.....and I'm headed way off topic. The whole card thing is pretty wacky to me. The restaurants that add in the surcharges are trying to recoup the losses that I was trying to explain in my crazed rant; having a card shouldn't exempt you. Same thing with restaurants that charge extra for adults who order childrens' or seniors' plates. That restaurant has made a choice about what kind of customer service it wants to offer, now it's up to you as to whether that place is worth the cost.

The portions are large because that is the current expectation in America. In France, I expect a 4 ounce piece of fish, but here the "average" restaurant patron expects a 6-8 oz portion. Americans in general would rather have quantity than quality. Read either of Michael Pollan's great books about food, or any of Michael Ruhlman's books about chefs/food. There is a wonderful gastronomy website, egullet dot com, that talks in length about quality of food, etc.

Thank you all for your patience. :)

BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!

I've used the card and I've been hassled about it so I make a big stinkin scene.

1. Einstein Bro's Bagels

I explained my surgery to the guy at one end of the line my requests, he agreed so I orderd a scoop of chicken salad and a cup of chicken Soup. The girl at the other end tried to charge me 8.95 for a chicken salad sandwich. I said no, I just got a scoop of the salad, not the entire sandwhich. After some dadeetdadeet moments and me raising my voice saying "YOUR TRYING TO RIP ME OFF, I'M NOT PAYING 8.95 FOR A ICE CREAM SCOOP OF CHICKEN SALAD" another dadeetdadeet came over and settled my bill for me.

2. Olive Garden

This was the best, I was already in a bad mood, same old same old, resturaunt policy wouldn't allow me to order from the kids menu, then when I said I would just share with my wife, they said that wasn't acceptable either, I would have to order a entree even after I pulled my shirt up to show the manager my scars. So I ate what I could then accidentially dropped the rest of my entree all over the floor. I should have gone and pee'ed all over the bathroom floor too.

I'm not takin it anymore. RISE UP AND FIGHT THE POWER! BANDSTERS UNITE, WREAK HAVOC AND CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE